Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im in the middle of painting my inserts graphite. Very excited about the color. THe only problem is, now that I have the color coat down, Im not noticing a glassy finish from the clear. In fact, the paint looks rough and grainy. Some parts of the clear coat look cloudy like elmers glue. Does clear coat just dry clear?

FYI, I washed, washed, and sanded all of the inserts with 400 grit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
im sorry ive to ask this but did you wait til the paint was dry before coating it? and are they even coats of the paint?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clear coat instructions state that I have to clear coat the color base within one hour of applying it. So no, but I dont think it required me to. Yes they are even.

Have you painted with this product?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is duplicolor high performance wheel coating. It seems that some of the elmer's glue effect is slowly drying clear.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
Hate to tell you this but it sounds like moisture -- is the humidity high were you are? After painting them moisture will coat the surface (like a glass of ice water on a hot day) and will affect the paint. Wait until it dries thoroughly and see if you can buff it out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, the humidity is really high here. Florida... No way to get around that unless I have a specially ventilated room.

I did close the garage and paint indoors, but Idk if that helped.

How would I buff it out? A rubbing compound?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Inserts have been dry for over an hour, which means they are ok to touch, but not to put on car. the finish is very grainy on some parts, other inserts have a glossier finish. I wonder why the clear coat still could not seal the paint.

I think I may have to start over. I thought I did everything by the book! Any suggestions on how to proceed? strip the paint with remover?

ShatteredStars.. need your help here :D

:(

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
Yes, the humidity is really high here. Florida... No way to get around that unless I have a specially ventilated room.

I did close the garage and paint indoors, but Idk if that helped.

How would I buff it out? A rubbing compound?
Yes -- a fine white polishing/rubbing compound and lots of elbow grease! Make sure they are completely dry...otherwise you'll be starting over.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
hmm. I just hope that the dustiness isnt the paint falling off lol.

Which rubbing compound do you recommend? Turtlewax?

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
If there are only a few spots giving you trouble I would wet sand the grainy portions with 600 then respray the clear. If its happening to alot of them I would try rubbing compound on one and if it cleans it up then do that to all of them and save yourself the time of repainting.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
hmm. I just hope that the dustiness isnt the paint falling off lol.

Which rubbing compound do you recommend? Turtlewax?
Turtlewax white polishing compound is a good one. Use a microfiber rag AND water -- almost like wetsanding -- with the compound.

Good luck!

2,213 Posts
You got to wet sand BEFORE you clear coat!!!! 1500 grit sand and make sure that thing is soaked!!! I'd actually wait a day before you clear coat. Then Put 2 coats of clear on, wait about 2-3 days, then wet sand that again with 1500. Then buff it out with maguires. If you have bubbles or drips and you clear coat it, they're gonna stay in there for ever.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had mine done by a pro for $100 so i just sat and waited :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
i just didnt even use clear coat, just applied 4 layers of the DP and it turned out fine, 3 weeks of winter driving in them at they still look great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts