Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) SA018

KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte / Koup models equipped with 2.0L Theta engine and 4 speed automatic transaxles. Some FORTE (TD) vehicles may experience slight shift hesitation and/or transaxle shift delay. This ECU upgrade applies to vehicles produced prior to October 30, 2009.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That combo doesn't exist, do you mean the 2.4?
Actually it does exist, in the US. If you add the "Fuel Economy Package" (again, not available in Canada) to the LX or EX, it adds the 5spd A/T as well as low resistance tires and additional aerodynamics under the car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) SA018

KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte / Koup models equipped with 2.0L Theta engine and 4 speed automatic transaxles. Some FORTE (TD) vehicles may experience slight shift hesitation and/or transaxle shift delay. This ECU upgrade applies to vehicles produced prior to October 30, 2009.
My dealer did this TSB the other day. They had called about this TSB, bluetooth upgrade, ECM upgrade, and gas cap replacement.

I notice a substantial improvement, not only in removal of shift hesititation, but also how the trans performs...it shifts up through the gears more normally now instead of getting to high gear while still at very low speed, which caused a lack of power and engine the hesitation.

Get this TSB done if your dealer hasn't already contacted you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My dealer did this TSB the other day. They had called about this TSB, bluetooth upgrade, ECM upgrade, and gas cap replacement.

I notice a substantial improvement, not only in removal of shift hesititation, but also how the trans performs...it shifts up through the gears more normally now instead of getting to high gear while still at very low speed, which caused a lack of power and engine the hesitation.

Get this TSB done if your dealer hasn't already contacted you.
Is this for American sold Fortes also. My Forte does not hesitate or jerk but it does get to the 4th gear fast and I feel lack of power around 25-30mph. If I give it more gas it just downshifts and revs high. Is this what everyone is talking about?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is this for American sold Fortes also. My Forte does not hesitate or jerk but it does get to the 4th gear fast and I feel lack of power around 25-30mph. If I give it more gas it just downshifts and revs high. Is this what everyone is talking about?
Yes, for US Fortes. I didn't think my trans was performing bad either until the TSB was done and now it's better through the shifts and no hesitiation. It doesn't need to downshift nearly as often when giving it gas and there's no slight hesitiation when it does downshift. That, and the more normal upshifts, are the main difference.

Get the TSB done, it's just a software upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
BigE has another thread about TSB's and this particular upgrade is actually SA020 and not SA018. Has anyone had this done besides Silver? My dealer did not contact me about this and stated my Koup is not eligible for this upgrade. I have a 2.0L 4 Speed Automatic, my Koup was finished on Sept. 11, 2009, and I experience shift hesitation just as the TSB explains. Why would it be that my Koup is not eligible for this upgrade, can anyone explain?

·
Registered
243 Posts
BigE has another thread about TSB's and this particular upgrade is actually SA020 and not SA018. Has anyone had this done besides Silver? My dealer did not contact me about this and stated my Koup is not eligible for this upgrade. I have a 2.0L 4 Speed Automatic, my Koup was finished on Sept. 11, 2009, and I experience shift hesitation just as the TSB explains. Why would it be that my Koup is not eligible for this upgrade, can anyone explain?
There are three 2.0 auto trans software logic codes. One superceded the original beyond a certain production date, and the one per the TSB supercedes the prior version.

The TSB is for models produced prior to Oct 30, 2009. So your car definitely falls under that TSB. My car has a June 23, 2009 build date.

Get them to do this TSB...the transmission is much improved as a result.

·
Registered
243 Posts
TSB No. KT2009102702

Service action: PCM Upgrade - Shift Hesitiation and Shift Delay Improvement with 2.0L and 4 Speed A/T (SA020) (Trans - 030)

"KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte / Koup models equipped with 2.0L Theta engine and 4 speed automatic transaxles. Some FORTE (TD) vehicles may experience slight shift hesitation and/or transaxle shift delay. This ECU upgrade applies to vehicles produced prior to October 30, 2009. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is an integral part of the PCM and should be noted as the TCM is referenced in this document."

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was at my dealer about 1 month ago and asked about it (when i was getting my passenger seat replaced) they told me that there was no recall for that. I will be going back in a week or two for a 5k oil change. Is there something I could print and take to them?

I dont know my production date but I purchased it in mid Aug

·
Registered
243 Posts
Passenger seat replaced? Uh oh. What was the deal with your passeneger seat?

If you go onto Kia's website, click 'Owners' button, and then 'General Info'...then you need to create an account, after which you can view the TSB's under each Kia model.

Otherwise, just print the TSB No. and description I posted above and show your it to your dealer. It's possible that it was issued after you first asked them about a shift problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Silver2010 ill do that. My passenger seat had a small tear when I inspected it at the dealer the day I picked it up, they replaced it for free.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
When I was at my dealer about 1 month ago and asked about it (when i was getting my passenger seat replaced) they told me that there was no recall for that. I will be going back in a week or two for a 5k oil change. Is there something I could print and take to them?

I dont know my production date but I purchased it in mid Aug
The service guy I talked to about this was an arse. I printed out the Kia TSB and tried to explain how I wanted the upgrade. He told me because that it did not pop up in his computer that he would not perform the upgrade for my vehicle. He wouldnt even look at the TSB I printed out and could not give me an explanation as of why I'm not eligible for this upgrade. He simply told me some are eligible and some aren't.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The service guy I talked to about this was an arse. I printed out the Kia TSB and tried to explain how I wanted the upgrade. He told me because that it did not pop up in his computer that he would not perform the upgrade for my vehicle. He wouldnt even look at the TSB I printed out and could not give me an explanation as of why I'm not eligible for this upgrade. He simply told me some are eligible and some aren't.
I would call Kia and get them after your dealer. My dealer called me and said they had 4 voluntary service campaign items they wanted to perform on my car. The shift upgrade, the bluetooth upgrade, the ECM trouble code fix, and the gas cap replacement. I was already aware of all 4 of these TSB's and was really only thinking of getting the shift upgrade done...until the dealer called me.

The shift upgrade makes a huge difference, make sure you get that done. Is there another dealer close to you that you can go to?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.