Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my step by step removal of the OEM stereo.

**PLEASE BE SURE TO DISCONNECT BATTERY GROUND CABLE BEFORE AND DURING ANY CAR MODIFICATION WHETHER WORKING WITH ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT OR NOT!**
**I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR HARM DONE TO YOUR CAR**

1 - Remove Trim Just Under Climate Controls
NOTE: The plastic and Kevlar Fiber remove together since they are secured by screws
Steering wheel Vehicle Center console Car Steering part

2 - Remove Far Left Screw From Behind Trim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part City car

3 - CAREFULLY Remove ONLY the Bottom Portion (2 clips) from the dash to prepare the removal of the climate cluster and remove the black plastic bezel from around the stereo.
DO NOT ACTUALLY REMOVE THE CLIMATE CLUSTER YET (SEE NOTE ON BOTTOM)
Vehicle Car Auto part Steering wheel Steering part

Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Center console Multimedia

4 - Once Bezel is Removed, Remove 4 Screws from around each corner around the head unit holding it in
Vehicle Car Multimedia Center console Electronics

Vehicle Car Technology Electronics Family car

5 - Pull Out Stereo and Remove Any Connectors / Harnesses As Necessary
Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Steering wheel Technology

6 - Repeat Steps In Reverse Order To Reinstall :)

NOTE: Do NOT try to remove the climate cluster until the head unit is removed as there are 2 screws securing it in place behind the head unit only accessable once the head unit is removed as well as the remaining 2 bottom screws securing the climate control cluster in place. There is also a hook molded into the climate cluster on the left side which makes it somewhat difficult to remove.
Vehicle Car Auto part Family car Center console

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having serious issues with step 1. How easy does that bottom piece come off and where did you start removing it? I kept prying with absolutely no luck, now it seems to be bent with no luck of resetting it flush

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started from the bottom right side, you can see all the locations it attaches to the dash (5 points I believe) in my first picture. The top and bottom are attached by screws and are separate pieces, carefully pry the bottom right out until it comes out and work your way around pulling straight out, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - Remove Trim Just Under Climate Controls
NOTE: The plastic and Kevlar Fiber remove together since they are secured by screws
A more detailed description would be nice. In your first photo, how is the piece rotated? It looks like the left side is from the left side and you rotated the piece front to back to show us the back/underside of the trim. Correct? What are those yellow things? Three yellow connectors and two black posts on each far end of the trim are the five connectors you speak of?

Also, can you give us some back/connector shots/specs of the head unit? What kind of inputs does it take? Any stickers regarding amp power of the unit?

I wonder how the interior mic is connected to the head unit. I believe there are two mics in the interior of the car; how do they plug into the head unit on the back? Will I be able to plug those existing interior mics to a new Pioneer head unit without trouble?

·
Registered
310 Posts
From my understanding theres isnt a way to use the factory bluetooth mic with an aftermarket radio. You will have to install the mic that comes with the new head unit. You will be able to keep steering wheel controls via an adapter, but will probably also lose backup camera.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone Please clear this up!

:smile2:Hello! I'm getting ready to remove the head unit to add a line out converter. My Koup is a 2015 EX w/o nav. I see NO screws holding the climate/radio surround. ZERO! I'm thinking what you are trying to say is the dash pieces are SNAPED into the surrounding dash areas, with the CLIPS ( the male part) being screwed to each piece. Am I clearing this up? As you can amagine, I don't want to damage ANYTHING! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for this, I am looking to remove the door panels first to change the factory speakers. Do you have any photos of this for the 2014 fortes? I will try to take photos when I do it, if not, although I usually break clips but trying not to this time around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.