Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 3000 miles on my 2011 5 door. In the first 10 or so tank fulls I have struggled to get 27-28 mpg. About 60 to 80 percent of my driving is highway 50 - 55 mph.

I've also been running 87 octane fuel. There is pinging and I plan on changing to Sunoco 91 octane for the next 3000 miles to see if it has any effect on performance and mpg. The first oil change was at 1000 miles and the second is at 3000.

Has anyone else tracked their fuel consumption and achieved the 36 mpg KIA advertises?

Angelo
2011 KIA Forte EX 5 door 2.0L

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've hit 36-38 with my 2.0 and did you give your engine enough time to break in? No hard accelerating. Makes all the difference

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Do not use higher octane.
A small amount of ping/knock seems to be normal.
MPG tends to improve after break in, which you are just getting into.

What are you getting on just your city driving? If your driving habits are getting you 18-20, then you will end up with an average right around what you are getting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What KIA doesn't tell you is that the compression on the 2.0L engine is 10.5:1. I talked to a engineer who tests fuels and the lower octane causes the ECU to remap and retard the timing causing less power and poorer fuel economy. I will switch to 91 octane for 3000 miles and keep meticulous records as I have done all along. Also, the 5% increase in fuel costs not only keep your engine cleaner, it averages a 5-8% increase in fuel economy. At the very least your car should get the same if not better cost per mile.

I've also kept acceleration to under 2000 RPMs. You can't be any gentler on the peddle unless you're not putting it in gear.

According to a KIA tech the engine should be broken in somewhere around 1000 miles.

Also, I have no plans to do city only driving.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Where do you live? 36 MPG is Using 100% gas. I noticed a lot of places that have gas with 10% ethanol will cause a hit in gas mileage. I can get Kia's MPG rating if I use 89 octane gas but more importantly in my area 89 octane gas only has 5% ethanol.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Tebore, would you agree that the only reason you are seeing an improvement is due to the lower ethanol, not the higher octane?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Tebore, would you agree that the only reason you are seeing an improvement is due to the lower ethanol, not the higher octane?
Yes purely the ethanol because on a trip to the US I had the chance to get 100% gas and my car had the best gas mileage it's ever gotten. And it was 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Tebore, you're also running fuel 2 octane points higher than I am.
Right I'm only telling half the story I use 87 octane on a regular basis. Its significantly cheaper than 89 in the long run. But time and time again I can get 550km a tank on 89 octane with 5% methanol. It'll drop to 475km on 87 and 10% methanol. But the key here is MPG I get higher MPG with less methanol or no methanol. Octane makes no difference in my MPG.

I also get no ping with 87 octane. You should have them look at your car as your injectors or ECU is off.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Raced my car a few times during break in, at around 900 miles now, was just getting 44 mpg on the highway with my 2.0 koup. 55 mph, windows up. City driving, windows down I was getting 38. Now this is all according to the computer, but my gas needle barely moved, so i know there is some truth to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
US gov own EPA website rates the forte's mpg at 26. I think that's about right and I only get higher mpg when I am on the highway. So...consider 26 the average.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.