Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my car the other day and noticed that on both sides of my car, before the rear fenders, is a thick plastic piece stuck onto the car near the bottom. It's clear and they're both cut exactly the same way. Does anyone know what this is?

I thought it was something they put on the car to protect it from rock chips since the body is bigger in the back. I'm not sure.

Thanks,
K.C. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah, I have the same ones on my koup also! I washed my car friday :) And its most likely for protection, that's what i've been under the impression of for a long while anyways. My old prius had plastic covers in the same area as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, it's for rocks and other debris. Works on the same principle as the clear bras that people are getting installed on the front bumper, headlights and front section of the hood.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but how do those plastic covers help protect against rocks and other debris?
It's a thick plastic covering. So I'm guessing when a rock hits that part of the car it just bounces off instead of taking out a chunk of paint. Ah well, atleast I know it's not a mistake or anything.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's a thick plastic covering. So I'm guessing when a rock hits that part of the car it just bounces off instead of taking out a chunk of paint. Ah well, atleast I know it's not a mistake or anything.

Thanks for the responses!
Exactly. It's just a protective film. It too will fail at some point, but it adds a protective layer over that area...better than paint chips IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On Toyotas, they're called "protectors". Basically they're just a clear plastic decal put in place to offer a bit of rock chip protection in high-probability areas of the vehicle. Will they eventually fail? Sure. Will they keep rocks and other road debris from chipping up your paint? Absolutely.

Josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its a 3M film... almost like what you can buy for your cellphones.... Alot of people opt to get that done to the hood as opposed to the plastic defelctors... had it done to my cars ... awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts