Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many screws do you have to unscrew? i've heard people say 3 and other people say 2. Then, i saw an upclose pic of somebody who removed the inserts and it only looked like 2 screws were holding them in place. If so, i believe i can get the inserts off without taking off my whole wheel. I went outside and looked and it seemed like i could fit my screw driver in and twist the screw out. This is possible if theres only 2 screws. Please help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it hard to take the whole wheel off? i'm kinda nervous. i dont know much about cars as far as working on them. so is this a task that a beginner could do?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's not hard to do. You might want to have somebody there to show you how to safely jack up the car and take the wheels off if you've never done it before.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
no you take the wheel off. keep the tire on the wheel lol the screws are behind the inserts. you cant get to them without taking the wheel off

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
This post gets a big WOW!!! lol
I love you unnecessary comments.

and yes, 3 screws (2 of them can be removed without taking the wheel off, but they're a pain in the ass), to remove the third you have to take the wheel off.

How to remove the wheel:

Put car in gear
pull hand-brake up
loosen lug nuts
place jack in its appropriate spot
jack it up
remove lug nuts
remove wheel.

repeat for each wheel. Installation is the exact opposite.

If you get stuck, there's a section in your Manual that tells you how to do it

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yep just jack the car up and take off the tires turn them around and it should be self explanatory after that...

+1 for noodile

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
If you haven't taken your wheels off yet be careful. Using the provided tire iron can scratch the black paint off the rims near the lugs. Happened to me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
good thread. im still deciding whether or not to remove my inserts, but it is some hard work to do.
Its really not that difficult. A friend and I did it in about 20 minutes. although we did have an electric impact gun. But even with the lug wrench, its not that bad. The time consuming part is actually removing the 15 screws four times in a row. lol. I'm sure that if you have a friend who has changed a tire before, they can help you out with doing it safely. And by the time you have all four wheels done, you should be a pro at changing wheels.

Best of luck to you!

Deuce

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
2013 forte koup. Can anyone tell me where I can find those rim inserts? I'm so lost.
This post is referring to the gray inserts in the stock 09-12 SX wheel, pictured below.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts