Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little worried that I might be the First Kia Koup DUI recipient:eek:. I got mine in mid March, and today was my court date:mad:. DUI FINE--$1890.00 , 3 months of Alcohol classes--$525.00, MADD meeting--$30.00, 3 years informal probation, License Hard suspension--1 month, Restricted License--5 months and double my insurance rate= OUCH:mad:... not worth it.:( oh and sorry about the DIY placement but it seemed fitting.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Gees..I have no idea how I dodged this all through my 20s, but I drove drunk nearly every weekend of my life back then. Then, my sister got busted in 1999 in Georgia and I got an earful of the horror story. It cost her nearly $10K before it was all over with. Never again will I drive after drinking. I can't afford the consequences.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I know of a couple of lives lost of friends and relatives due to dui drivers. Your cost is very small compared.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm a little worried that I might be the First Kia Koup DUI recipient:eek:. I got mine in mid March, and today was my court date:mad:. DUI FINE--$1890.00 , 3 months of Alcohol classes--$525.00, MADD meeting--$30.00, 3 years informal probation, License Hard suspension--1 month, Restricted License--5 months and double my insurance rate= OUCH:mad:... not worth it.:( oh and sorry about the DIY placement but it seemed fitting.
I hope you're the first, and I hope you're the last.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had a long story but yeah

just be glad you didn't hurt anybody..

I lost my close friend at 16 due to somebody drinking/ driving.
Its just a bad effing Idea!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was hit by a drunk driver in a head on collision when I was 16. He was in a pick up truck and I was driving a ford tempo. Car was totaled and I was messed up for months.

As said above... You got off cheap. You could have ended up dead or in jail if someone got injured.

I know it's hard to think you got away cheap, but imagine the other side of things or how bad it could have been.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
gotta at least give kiaforeplay a wee bit of credit.
he did something stupid-which a lot of people have done before.

don't know if he ever mentioned it before amongst the folks here-
but he did announce it big this time.

and just wait- he has a lot more numbers to add to his list there- left out the wrecker/storage fee, bail, county jail per deim fee-not all jails do that-,cab ride to the impound lot, costs of the probation, the 30 days he cant drive due to the 'hard' suspension- cab bills anyone?- 5 months restricted lic- work-home-doctor (unless its different up there)- basically house arrest - cab bills to get to go grocery shopping/living outside of the house
not to mention getting his car yanked around by a 2bit wrecker driver who just wants to get the car up and on the hook and dumped at the yard.....after all- he can always blame any damage to the car on the DUI....

so- chide him while you may- but hopefully his mostly painless (in regards to human life) mis-step will educate some of the folks reading all of this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
gotta at least give kiaforeplay a wee bit of credit.
he did something stupid-which a lot of people have done before.

don't know if he ever mentioned it before amongst the folks here-
but he did announce it big this time.

and just wait- he has a lot more numbers to add to his list there- left out the wrecker/storage fee, bail, county jail per deim fee-not all jails do that-,cab ride to the impound lot, costs of the probation, the 30 days he cant drive due to the 'hard' suspension- cab bills anyone?- 5 months restricted lic- work-home-doctor (unless its different up there)- basically house arrest - cab bills to get to go grocery shopping/living outside of the house
not to mention getting his car yanked around by a 2bit wrecker driver who just wants to get the car up and on the hook and dumped at the yard.....after all- he can always blame any damage to the car on the DUI....

so- chide him while you may- but hopefully his mostly painless (in regards to human life) mis-step will educate some of the folks reading all of this.
I'm educated to the point of I had no idea how much this stuff costed, I was always more worried about hitting someone, then the next worry was jail (whether i had hit someone or not) never even thought to think how much $ it would cost...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I work at the DMV here in Buffalo and it amazes me how many people, all ages and races that come in every day to get conditional licenses due to DWI's or DUI's. Here in New York if you take the breathalizer after being busted you are automatically suspended for 3 months and must got to DDP (Drinking Driver Program) classes once a week for 7 weeks and then you can get your license back. The classes are around $225 to enroll and to get the conditional license is $75, you will also have to pay a $50 suspension termination fee before you can get your license back.
If you refuse the breathalizer it is an automatic 1 year revocation of your license and a DMV civil penalty of $750 on top of everything else I listed above. Then you have to apply directly to Albany ($100 non-refundable) to get your license back, which can take months because our state government is slower than a old granny Sunday driver. They may require you to actually start over from scratch and get your permit again, take the five hour course (hell on earth), and then a road test. Some people have to go on 5 year probation and have a interlock device installed on their car. This device requires you to blow in a tube before you can drive, if there is alcohol on your breath the car will not start. None of this includes court fines and the like. It is extremely expensive and a time consuming process to go through.
It still does amaze me how I never got busted for something like this, I had a few close call but thankfully I knew my ABC's and 123's. After working at the DMV and seeing the process and misery that these offenders go through I can't imagine ever pushing my luck like I did in my early and mid 20's. Of course none of this compares to the real horror of what could happen to you or someone else should you be so unfortunate.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I work at the DMV here in Buffalo and it amazes me how many people, all ages and races that come in every day to get conditional licenses due to DWI's or DUI's. Here in New York if you take the breathalizer after being busted you are automatically suspended for 3 months and must got to DDP (Drinking Driver Program) classes once a week for 7 weeks and then you can get your license back. The classes are around $225 to enroll and to get the conditional license is $75, you will also have to pay a $50 suspension termination fee before you can get your license back.
If you refuse the breathalizer it is an automatic 1 year revocation of your license and a DMV civil penalty of $750 on top of everything else I listed above. Then you have to apply directly to Albany ($100 non-refundable) to get your license back, which can take months because our state government is slower than a old granny Sunday driver. They may require you to actually start over from scratch and get your permit again, take the five hour course (hell on earth), and then a road test. Some people have to go on 5 year probation and have a interlock device installed on their car. This device requires you to blow in a tube before you can drive, if there is alcohol on your breath the car will not start. None of this includes court fines and the like. It is extremely expensive and a time consuming process to go through.
It still does amaze me how I never got busted for something like this, I had a few close call but thankfully I knew my ABC's and 123's. After working at the DMV and seeing the process and misery that these offenders go through I can't imagine ever pushing my luck like I did in my early and mid 20's. Of course none of this compares to the real horror of what could happen to you or someone else should you be so unfortunate.
How much does it cost to get that device installed in your car? Out of curiosity

·
Registered
204 Posts
How much does it cost to get that device installed in your car? Out of curiosity
Typically, the offender must pay for the ignition interlock device installation. The installation costs around $50 to $200. This fee may be more if you have a luxury vehicle or if installation takes longer.
In some states, there are certain circumstances in which the fees paid for a DUI conviction can be applied to the ignition interlock device installation.
There is a monthly rental fee for the device. This fee ranges from $50 to $100. You will also be responsible for maintenance expenses as well as fees for downloading the data from the ignition interlock device.
You will also be required to come in for scheduled appointments to have your ignition interlock device calibrated, or to have the records downloaded and the device reset so that you can keep driving.
Going in for calibration appointments is extremely important. The device will normally need to be checked every 60 days. Failure to maintain the device can be seen as a violation of the ignition interlock program.
It is almost impossible to get around the ignition interlock device. The device is designed to not let you start your car if you try to use a mechanical device instead of blowing into interlock system, if you have a friend take the test for you, or if you try to tamper with the interlock device in any way.
Having a sober friend blow in the device to help you start the car will only backfire in the end – the interlock devices are often programmed to make you take the test again while you are driving later.

Would you want one? :eek:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Within the last 2 months there has been 2 really bad DUI accidents in my area.

One was 3 kids who are seniors at my towns highschool and one that I had gone to middle school with (we graduated highschool 2 years ago). The girl driving was drunk (from what I've heard she was basically voted least drunk of the group) lost control of the car and hit the barrier. The guy in the car was ejected, the car rolled ontop of him and killed him. My middle school friend was also thrown from the car and hit a tree. As far as I know she is stable now but broke just about every bone in her body. The driver and the other girl were okay.

The other one I don't entirely remember the details but a girl was texting while drunk driving, crashed into another car killing the driver and her own passenger.

Shit's not worth it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not worth it at all. Just spend the night, get a taxi, call a friend or family member.. that hasn't been drinking. Or stay at a motel for all I care. Don't drink and drive, I feel lucky that nothing bad happend... and I'm not going to chance that again thats forsure. I could have killed someone and be going away to prison for murder... thats california law... Or I could be dead right now...but im not. Not going to chance that either. Time to grow up. 26 years old, and I used to rage, but not anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Not worth it at all. Just spend the night, get a taxi, call a friend or family member.. that hasn't been drinking. Or stay at a motel for all I care. Don't drink and drive, I feel lucky that nothing bad happend... and I'm not going to chance that again thats forsure. I could have killed someone and be going away to prison for murder... thats california law... Or I could be dead right now...but im not. Not going to chance that either. Time to grow up. 26 years old, and I used to rage, but not anymore.
Glad you at least learned something from it. It's the people who don't learn from mistakes that really scare me.

Keep your head up and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sorry to sound like a dick but GLADLY you made it through your ordeal ALIVE and without killing anyone and yet complain about the "price" you'll have to pay for getting caught... how about the price you would have had to pay should you had killed someone? Or better yet the price your family and friends would have had to pay if you had killed yourself?

Probably the worst, most SELFISH decision you could have made in your lifetime, and I am glad you were caught!!! Because I hope that this will somehow get through to you that it's much easier to arrange a safe way home then to risk driving and forever changing yours and someone else's life.

Glad you're alright but more importantly glad the others that were on the road around you were alright...

Think about it dude, Arrive ALIVE! Drive SOBER!

·
Registered
132 Posts

Just saw this post after my first one... glad you've really been giving this some thought man! Stay strong and true to your word!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts