Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia is putting CVT in its cars? Even more impetus to keep our 2016 running forever :frown2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2019 and it drives just like any other regular transmission car. I have driven CVT cars and hated them but this new transmission by Kia is excellent. Only reason I knew it was a CVT is because I was told before driving it. I love mine.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a 2019 and it drives just like any other regular transmission car. I have driven CVT cars and hated them but this new transmission by Kia is excellent. Only reason I knew it was a CVT is because I was told before driving it. I love mine.
This good to know, I intend to buy a new Soul in another month or so and they now have the CVT.
I was having a mixed reaction as CVTs I have experienced I was less than impressed with.

Pat.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Kia is putting CVT in its cars? Even more impetus to keep our 2016 running forever :frown2:
Ditto. Not a fan of CVT. When it comest to automatics, I'd much rather have a torque converter or a DCT.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, what I see is, that CVTs are getting better and better (except perhaps, at Nissan). Toyota's new one, apparently is really good, Kia's one is excellent. The older ones, picking-up from standstill like a slug. No more. Also, the drone was quite horrible. Actually, the Forte is better noise insulated to make sure, the drone cannot be heard inside the car. But also, the new design and construction isn't as noisy to begin with.
So, while I am not a great fan of them, they will be the future. CVTs are a lot lighter, technically simpler and help to reduce gas consumption, and that by a fairly big margin.

Let's also not forget, that most folks, I'd dare say 95% of the people would not know what it is and not care.

Cheers,

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a 2019 Forte FE a few weeks back & picked the base model because it comes with the manual 6 speed. I've driven sticks for most of my time driving & have always preferred them. I had read about the "leisurely" acceleration of the non-chain type CVT's. Although the Kia is said to not have that issue too much, I'd be very surprised if the manual still doesn't give better performance. Also, given that this is Kia's 1st CVT, and that it incorporates cutting edge design, I'd rather they "test it" on other buyers. Could be perfect, could be a nightmare. Give 'em a few years to be sure all the bugs are worked out. In terms of gas mileage, I'm getting slightly over 31 MPG driving about 80% street travel. That's the ACTUAL mileage calculated at the pump, not what's indicated by the car's computer, which seems to claim a little higher than actual MPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw someone posted online that her new 2019 Forte with only 1500miles have already failed with its CVT/IVT...accdg to the techs at dealership the entire CVT will need replacement. I’ve had experience in CVTs in the past (Ford) though only for 3.5yrs of use and not sure abt the longevity...was considering the new Forte but am really wary of it due to the CVT being new and no data yet abt long term use. Still prefer the 6-spd automatic....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2019 Forte with 7000 miles on it and no issues at all. Great pick up in sport mode and smooth acceleration when I need to pass someone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 2018 or a 2019 Forte next year. The 2019 with CVT frightens me a bit due to reliability concerns. Did Kia engineer the transmission, or are they out-sourcing it from another supplier? Honda, Toyota, Jatco?
I currently have a 2010 Sonata with 121k miles. I've had very few issues with the car, but need to start thinking about a replacement. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
410 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 2018 or a 2019 Forte next year. The 2019 with CVT frightens me a bit due to reliability concerns. Did Kia engineer the transmission, or are they out-sourcing it from another supplier? Honda, Toyota, Jatco?
I currently have a 2010 Sonata with 121k miles. I've had very few issues with the car, but need to start thinking about a replacement. Thanks. Dave
the IVT is in-house designed and built, Kia does not out-source any engines and transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After test driving a number of both the 2018 (last year for a 6 speed automatic) and 2019 Forte with CVT, I decided, and brought home a nice 2018 Forte LX with a 6 speed automatic.

Just didn't feel confident in Kia getting the CVT right in the first year of production. The 6 speed Is tried and proven with the probability of the least amount of problems in the long run. Also, like the looks of the 2018 far better than the 19.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Although clearly not enough time has passed for any long term durability assessment, the new IVT has been on the market for over a year now and so far there haven't been any reports of issues. Let's hope it stays that way. Kia seems to be very proud of this new transmission, so we can hope they put a lot of effort into it being a feather in their cap, and not an albatross.

I can say personally that the IVT is really phenomenal though as compared to other CVTs and even some standard torque converter automatics. In the normal/smart mode it can be a little CVT-ish on initial acceleration, but once going or if one starts in sport mode it feels very non-CVT and much like a traditional transmission.

And in sport mode, the NA 2.0 is surprisingly quick with the IVT. I find it curious that some reviews suggest that the 147HP NA 2.0 is slow, but I find the car to be plenty fast and handle really well.

Here's hoping that the Nu NA Atkinson 2.0 and the IVT both are good for at least a couple hundred thousand miles (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the helpful link, and although there are some concerning posts, they seem consistent with the 2018 Forte, and even the 2018 & 2019 Honda Civic, with the 2018 Civic actually surprisingly having quite a few more reported issues.

Who knows if that comparison is significant as only time will tell about long term reliability of the 2019+ Forte, but interesting never-the-less.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the helpful link, and although there are some concerning posts, they seem consistent with the 2018 Forte, and even the 2018 & 2019 Honda Civic, with the 2018 Civic actually surprisingly having quite a few more reported issues.

Who knows if that comparison is significant as only time will tell about long term reliability of the 2019+ Forte, but interesting never-the-less.
I agree Al, it's interesting the issues the Civic has had. I'm really hoping Kia's IVT turns out to be a long term winner.

Over on the Soul forum, where the IVT has been substituted for the automatic on the 2020 model, the feedback has been nothing short of "very good." To the surprise of many long time owners who vowed never to own a CVT. Those guys now are signing it's praise.

Surprised the heck out of me as alot of us Boomers are CVT-averse :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
A cvt works best when it's allowed to act as a cvt. The "ivt" is essentially a cvt with fake shift points, lowers the efficiency a smidge. People in cars expect to feel a shift and it bugs them when they don't happen be so now they all fake shift.

I tested one, it irritated me knowing. If I didn't know it probably wouldn't bother me. But that coupled with the engine was a turn off. Bought a gt, more power and dct.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A cvt works best when it's allowed to act as a cvt. The "ivt" is essentially a cvt with fake shift points, lowers the efficiency a smidge. People in cars expect to feel a shift and it bugs them when they don't happen be so now they all fake shift.

I tested one, it irritated me knowing. If I didn't know it probably wouldn't bother me. But that coupled with the engine was a turn off. Bought a gt, more power and dct.
I'm starting to wonder about the fake shift points now too Indy.

I have to amend my post above yours from a few weeks ago. Over on the Soul forum we're starting to see some members with the new 2020 Gen3s having failed IVTs. It seems to be happening relatively early, under 3500 miles (that may just because they are less than a year old too).

The pattern is the same, unusual high revving, loss of power, followed by failure. In all cases it appears Kia is going to cover it under warranty. One case reported to NHTSA said the driver pulled to the side of the highway. Trying to restart the engine it caught fire. 600 miles on the odometer.

So far no word on exactly "why" the IVT failures have happened.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really, they're silly. My first cvt was in an ATV, and it was weird. For a while. Id had ATVs before and shifting was the norm. 2nd was a snowmobile where I had no previous experience so it seemed normal. When they first started popping up in cars I expected people to find it odd as well some where all used to a regular tranny.

Knowing how they work (and getting actually into my ATV to change springs) they kind of make sense for lighter vehicles but I worry about long term or heavier duty application.

Given time, a cvt in a car would feel normal without the added complexity of the fake shifting. But that time span is likely longer than is economically feasible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts