Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black sx sedan... and as i'm sure other people here that have or do own a black car will agree with me that when it is well maintained it looks like sex on wheels... however when its not the nicks/scratches/swirls could destroy an image in an instant. To that end I was wondering if anyone would share their prefered ways of maintining their paint/clearcoat in a prestine way?

I usually have my car handwashed once a week, waxed once a month with mcguires swirl remover and liquid gold wax and polished/waxed once every 3 months. Even with this expensive regime its hard to keep it beautiful.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
The only way I've had true success maintaining a flawless finish on a dark car is through the use of a random orbital buffer, good pads, good products and exclusive use of microfiber. I use a Porter Cable 7424, Lake Country pads, Pinnacle, Mothers, and AutoMagic products and microfiber wash mitts / drying towels / buffing rags. No terry cloth, t-shirts or anything else touches my car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So essentially what I am doing now... i just don't use a porter buffer instead just a regular orbital... I was doing some research into the porter and am considering buying one... and Lake Country pads are very expensive ... atleast where i've looked

·
Registered
436 Posts
Black shows everything, so don't touch your paint with anything that isn't covered in microfiber. I've found over the years that even the softest t-shirts, rags and terry cloth will scratch, eventually leaving your finish looking like you waxed it with sandpaper. It took me 3 days with the Porter Cable to undo the damage the "Mazda Executive" did to my Mazdaspeed 6 (Black Cherry) after only 2000 miles. I'm assuming he / she had it cleaned at some neighborhood car wash, as it was covered in hairline scratches. Paint is softer now than it probably ever has been thanks to the EPA...part of the reason I refuse to own a black car. I'd work myself to death. :) Blue is bad enough, and Black Cherry was a chore.

Also, don't get lazy and dust your car off. Much of the stuff you find on the surface of the car is abrasive in nature, and when you wipe it off, it digs into the clearcoat along the way. Just go spray it off, dry it and enjoy the hour you have with it totally clean. I use Quick Detailer to get water spots, tire shine sling and other stains off the paint, but if it's actually dusty, it gets washed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like i'll have to invest into this porter cable gadget. my orbital buffer just isn't doing the job. I have swirl marks ... EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is it a real random-orbital, or just a rotary? My random-orbital won't swirl. They're pretty foolproof. What kind of pad & product did you use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts