Kia Forte Forum banner

Does your 5 speed auto tranny (Sedan or Koup) have the 2nd to 3rd gear slip problem?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
POLL:

Does your 5 speed automatic (Sedan or Koup) have the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift slip problem?

Please, in addition to voting in the poll, please also post to the thread whether you have the 2.0L engine or the 2.4L engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ferdy -

Ohhhhhhhhhh yes. I've identified it exactly several months ago, and on the other forum have a thread concerning it. I am waiting for SOMEONE at KIA to figure out that THEY have a severely huge problem with the auto trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Indeed it does--Sometimes--no pattern ascertained as yet--it seems to have a will of its own. Dealer said that it is the computer which needs to be re-set and they have
been in communication with KIA Corporate vis a vis the problem. They said to bring it in and expect the process to take about an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since day 1. the car has a 2.0l engine. Been to the dealer 3 times. Computer flashed 3 times. Error codes were present at least once (dealer did not state the other 2 times). We are asked each time to put 1000 miles on car for computer to "reset". Next time it goes in....its staying there until a solution is found. Every day same place same malfunction. Why is it that my wife can make the car malfunction "on command" and the "techs" can't??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Since day 1. the car has a 2.0l engine. Been to the dealer 3 times. Computer flashed 3 times. Error codes were present at least once (dealer did not state the other 2 times). We are asked each time to put 1000 miles on car for computer to "reset". Next time it goes in....its staying there until a solution is found. Every day same place same malfunction. Why is it that my wife can make the car malfunction "on command" and the "techs" can't??
because it's your wife :D

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
Only 500km on it and nothing yet. Got it Dec 23rd! I did notice something, The tranny would end up in 5th gear going only 60km/h???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only 500km on it and nothing yet. Got it Dec 23rd! I did notice something, The tranny would end up in 5th gear going only 60km/h???
That is perfectly normal for this transmission--mine gets there at the same speed. The Forte shift points are geared for economy, not performance---the quicker the car gets to a higher gear, the better the fuel economy.

If you would rather it stay in a lower gear at low speeds, you have no choice but to use the "Shiftronic" (manual) shift gate to keep it there--be happy you don't have the slip/slam upshift problem---that would REALLY make you an unhappy camper--

The funny thing about this problem is it seems to be completely random, luck of the draw (or unlucky draw I should say). Some have it, most don't. The regrettable part is that KIA has not issued anything official addressing it.

Enjoy your Forte!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2.4 SX Koup automatic slurred its shift from 2-3 and 3-4. Brand new...a bit disconcerting as a potential owner! It did not seem to be slipping but I am not sure what you guys mean..so maybe it WAS? To describe it better..my 92 Corolla with a three speed auto shifts into "lockup" at 48 mph and it sort of felt like that but I knew it was shifting gears since I had not reached 45 mph yet.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,823 Posts
Bought my Forte SX 2.4L on October 10th '09. I have the "shift shock" problem and it happens consistently. Blah.
What did the service department say when you brought this to their attention?

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
That is perfectly normal for this transmission--mine gets there at the same speed. The Forte shift points are geared for economy, not performance---the quicker the car gets to a higher gear, the better the fuel economy.

If you would rather it stay in a lower gear at low speeds, you have no choice but to use the "Shiftronic" (manual) shift gate to keep it there--be happy you don't have the slip/slam upshift problem---that would REALLY make you an unhappy camper--

The funny thing about this problem is it seems to be completely random, luck of the draw (or unlucky draw I should say). Some have it, most don't. The regrettable part is that KIA has not issued anything official addressing it.

Enjoy your Forte!
Thanks for the info, by the way. I think I felt the jerk once, but I check further when my breaking is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My SX has doe it 4 time in 5000 miles. Took it to dealer and he tried to blame it on cold temps, although every time it was not cold(below 30 F). It only seemed to do it when taking off very easy on gas ie in a parking lot. Does not do it when getting on the gas to GO.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car NO LONGER has the shift problem. The factory tech took it for a short drive and said..defective transmission. The new transmission works perfectly! All it took was 4 trips to the dealer...1 letter to Kia (read the waranttee manual!) and a few phone calls to and from Kia.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
car has less than 300 miles and I felt it 3 times. First time it happened i almost had a heart attack, thinking i hit some giant pothole. After reading the thread on the kia forum, it seems to happen under similar circumstances...ie only the first time after the car has been started and under mid to hard acceleration. I tried to have it happen on demand by pulling over, turning the car off/on and accelerating off but so far ive been unsuccessful (maybe i need to let it sit longer?) so it isnt happening EVERY time.

The car is an sx auto w/ a production date of 10/09...will probably be taking it in some time next week & will try to take a video of it happening to show em.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an sx auto. It has happened once in my first 300 miles. It was not a good feeling. It has not happened again, I wonder what variables contribute to it's occurance. It happened to me well after the car was first started and warmed up.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
When this poll first came out I said no. But it has since happened a few times. I believe in all cases that the car had not reached full operating temperature. I hope a computer flash update is announced soon. Obviously there is a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Luckily I found this thread... This freaked me out. It was really a bad thing since I was in traffic. Slowing down, then accelerating and SLAM! The car tries to fly out from under you from 2nd to 3rd gear... :eek:

I've had mine almost two weeks and have less than 700 miles on it. I've been to the dealer 3 times about paperwork/prepwork after purchasing and well... it's an hour drive... Kinda hard to keep miles off your car with the closest dealer so far away. :(

I read that one person said it's a defective transmission? How can I show them the problem... it's nearly impossible to reproduce at will. It's happened 4 times... (TWICE today)

Koup SX Auto 2.4L

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone else experiencing an issue where it won't upshift to first?

I left the dealer this morning, and they were unable to "duplicate the problem" so I was told they couldn't do anything about it. I explained how it is completely random but the people at the desk just handle paperwork, of course. I had to work my way around to actually speaking with the tech and after explaining the problem in more detail he told me that there is a similar known issue with the 2.0L but not the 2.4. And until the tech can catch whatever code is thrown when the car slips/slams into gear... they can't do anything.

So... I left. As soon as I got home, I stopped at a store. Leaving, I put it in reverse, then into drive... pressed the accelerator and I got nothing but a nice RPM raise. Checked to see if it was in Drive, and it was... even on the dash. Pressed it a few more times and it revved to about 1500RPMs and still no movement. I gave it a final press... at about 2200RPMs it slams into first... Not very fun. Especially, when you're riding around with a temp tag and people know it's a brand new car... :(

I'm assuming there's nothing we can do about this until there is an official TSB or something? This problem is annoying and the dealership is basically calling me a liar every time I show them problems with the car. Like my passenger side door won't close flush with the car... some times. It of course, closed fine with them this morning. I think it has to do with whether the car is on level ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was really confused when you all were trying to explain this slip but honestly it feels more like a jerk. Yes, it has happened to me several times now. First time happened at around maybe 250-300 miles and occasioannly it does it again. Right now my sx is sitting at 1300miles and from the top of my head it has occured atleast three times since the first time. I am really not too concern yet, since i am not too familiar with that damage it may cause to the vehicle a few 1k miles down the road. But anyhow if many Forte Koup owners are complaining and experiancing this issue then obviously thats a problem and needs to be addresed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sx forte Sedan with the 2.4L...Wont go into drive from reverse sometimes unless i giggle the stick to get it in. Yes its a manual....and sometimes if I accelerate into the passing gear and let off it wont shift and will start slowing down due to being in the same gear and all of a sudden will shift into the next one....sorta crappy for a new car...thank god for a 100,000mile warranty, but I doubt they will listen to me cause im only 20 and they will prob blame it on me!!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts