Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Wife was given a 13 forte sedan ex with just over 100k miles that her parents bought new in 12. She started driving it last October and was able to go about 2 1/2 weeks on a tank of gas getting about 31mpg’s. She parked the car in March and it sat for about 4 months only getting driven a once or twice a month. They gave it to her in aug, and she has not been able to get over 24 mph combined in town and highway and only gets about a week or so on a tank. The drive she makes now is the same drive she made when she first was driving the car. It has been serviced regularly and the dealership didn’t do the 100k service because they said the plugs looked good and didn’t need to be changed so they just did oil and fluids. It also ticks at first start kinda like a diesel and they said it’s normal. I know nothing about kia’s and don’t know anyone personally who owns one so this is all new to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! I ran lucas through it but read on here that the Techron was Kia approved. What about the bg products? Was going to do the engine cleaner with the oil change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never tried the bg products so can't tell you anything on that.. Do the plugs and the Techron, see if it goes back to normal after a couple tanks of gas. If it doesn't then look at other options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So bought plugs pcv and Techron today. But they didn’t have the ngk so I got champion because the ngk are on back order at the parts store and dealership. Will this be an ok substitute

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not put champion in it. I would go with NGK. Try different part stores.
NGK 9723 {#SILZKR7B11} Laser Iridium
Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not put champion in it. I would go with NGK. Try different part stores.
NGK 9723 {#SILZKR7B11} Laser Iridium
Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part
none of the local parts stores or dealership had any in stock so I had to get the champions. Wasn’t driving 60 miles to get ngk lol. I’ll swap them out eventually lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the plugs, pcv and a bottle of Techron with 91 octane gas done today. Gets an oil change and fluids done this weekend. Thank you for all your advice and help! I’m getting used to this little kia and kinda like it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Reactions: EnJ14

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should try rockauto.com. I get ruthenium (BETTER than iridium plugs, if you believe it) plugs there for like $30. Insanely good deal. They have iridium and platinum plugs for like $3 each.

Another thing you might want to check is the throttle body, may need cleaned. But only use throttle body cleaner, and I don't recommend fully removing it and removing the engine coolant lines. Just see if you can clean it in place with q-tips and shop rags.

Regardless of that though, definitely techron fuel system cleaner. The ONLY fuel cleaner to use imo.
You can use it up to three times (one bottle per tank, of course) per oil change interval. So if you've used it once, you can use it for two more tanks until the next time you change your oil. But you might only need like one more bottle. It's cheap, like $6 a bottle. Not bad to use every once in awhile.

Also, using top tier gas ensures you have gas with significant levels of grime fighting detergents in them. Check to see what stations near you have top tier gas (just regular gas, but it has detergents in it) https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Imo if you want things clean inside your car and not caked on carbon by 150k miles, then you need to be using top-tier gas ALWAYS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should try rockauto.com. I get ruthenium (BETTER than iridium plugs, if you believe it) plugs there for like $30. Insanely good deal. They have iridium and platinum plugs for like $3 each.

Another thing you might want to check is the throttle body, may need cleaned. But only use throttle body cleaner, and I don't recommend fully removing it and removing the engine coolant lines. Just see if you can clean it in place with q-tips and shop rags.

Regardless of that though, definitely techron fuel system cleaner. The ONLY fuel cleaner to use imo.
You can use it up to three times (one bottle per tank, of course) per oil change interval. So if you've used it once, you can use it for two more tanks until the next time you change your oil. But you might only need like one more bottle. It's cheap, like $6 a bottle. Not bad to use every once in awhile.

Also, using top tier gas ensures you have gas with significant levels of grime fighting detergents in them. Check to see what stations near you have top tier gas (just regular gas, but it has detergents in it) https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Imo if you want things clean inside your car and not caked on carbon by 150k miles, then you need to be using top-tier gas ALWAYS.
this sucks cause the only top tier station in my town is the truck stop lol. I work at a dealership so I’ll get some throttle body cleaner and clean that too. Is it worth having the “induction” service done at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Is it worth having the “induction” service done at the dealership?
Not in my opinion. Seek out a good mechanic and have them do it if you're not comfortable with removing the throttle body and cleaning it yourself.

Reactions: EnJ14

·
Registered
6 Posts

You really believe that? I watch fuel trucks pull out of 1 brand gas station and then pull into a different brand all the time. Since there are only so many refineries how can the gas be so different from one brand to the other?
Just curious, don't beat me up over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts