Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off..... this is a 2 day project. the process takes about 12 hours to do. majority is waiting for each coat to dry to the next coat. i suggest the fronts one day, and the rears the next day. and make sure you lay alot of cardboard down when you do this.... this paint never comes off. it came out really good and the best thing is..... i never have to paint my calibers ever again!

first pic is the old paint that chipped and weathered away. then some cleaning, some rust inhibitor, then the red paint. looks really good, almost like it came painted.

Attachments

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the cleaner comes in the kit! cleaner, paint prep, rust inhibitor, paint, 2 pair of gloves, and 2 paint brushes. it says use a brush to help remove the paint so i used a steal brush. all that crap came right off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you leave the caliper on when you prepped and painted it? Can't tell from pics.

Looks mighty fine!

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unbolted them but still get the brake line attached.

Por15 is a specialty paint. Won't chip, fade, rust, crack, so hopefully it stays on forever

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
KIA, hate to tell you this bud, but it doesn't last on out-facing applications, or is the paint an actual paint and not colored POR15? Sunlight will make POR15 by itself crack, then flake off. However, it does handle fluctuations in heat.

For proof of what it does for interior applications though, in 2005 I used it on my '87 Conquest and ZERO rust has come back so far.

In this before shot, the rusted edges of the rear quarters had been cut out, a wire brush was used, POR 15'ed, primer coat and rough sand.

This is the latest after shot of the same side I could find. (Pardon the bodyworked part in the way that this picture is actually of.)

I also POR 15'ed the entire inside of all of the reachable panels:

And be careful not to get it on your skin!

I wore gloves and long sleeves, but reaching with a brush into all those crevacies it soaked through my sleeves and soaked into my skin past the sub-dermal layer resulting in horrible chemical burns. It is NOT PAINT. Do not use lacquer thinner to try to get it off like I did. It just created a chemical reaction on my skin and stuck on for 2 weeks like melted rubber. I had to get 3 prescriptions to heal the injuries. 6 years later I can still see the scars.

Read the MSDS sheet on it before using this product!!!

If I were to do it again, I would get full arm coverage work gloves.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Looks sweet KIA

·
Registered
543 Posts
I plan on doing this soon as well (very nice job btw). I was thinking red to stand out with the titanium metallic paint and wheels and to "match" the red stitching on the seats. My wife suggested an orange instead. I like the idea of the orange as well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go with red-it is a classic design and compliments any color well (except maybe that metallic brown Kia has).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go with red-it is a classic design and compliments any color well (except maybe that metallic brown Kia has).
Haha, thanks for the advice and the reminder of that horrid color. So, it is brown brown calipers for the win :confused: Oh wait...

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only difference between the kit you have and the one i have is mine came with a spray bottle, yours was an aerosol can! lol about the same price, and everything in the kit is the same. I've had mine for about a month. Dirt comes off real easy, and still shines like its brand new. I didn't really read all of yours, is it a rust inhibitor as well?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts