Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know a shop that will do this for a low price the guy knows my family for a while i was just on autozone.com to see if they have the headgasket and they dont but advanceauto does for 22$-66$ shaved head boarded from 2.4l to 2.5l faster rpm responce anyone? or would you rather just wait till we get some better pistons? whats your input ??

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think your getting ahead of the curve , moving too fast . A port/polish on a otherwise stock engine isn't going to help gain much hp . I would wait for TurobKits to finish their project to see where they go with the stock compression ratio . They may include pistons with the kit to lower the c/r , use a de-compression plate or keep the boost low enough to operate safely at stock c/r . If they can source lower compression pistons they could also offer higher compression pistons for the guys who prefer to stay n/a . They are also going to require a way to tune that turbo so they may offer something like the Apexi Neo for the Forte . I think your gonna have to hurry up and wait .

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol i guess im super ready make the forte known "the power to surprise"

·
Registered
533 Posts
There's already a "surprise" waiting for anyone wanting to mess with on e of these stock.. Nobody really knows or understands their capability yet which catches a lot of people off gaurd... Just wait patiently and see what happens by spring... I'm right there with you on wanting to smash the competition this summer with something bold and new and fast as hell but we gotta wait for them to make it so we don't blow ourselves up...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I agree with yllrshark...port and polish isn't worth the time, money and aggravation on a stock engine. Higher compression pistons and/or shaving the head to up the compression will yield more usable HP -- if you can tune for it...and you would have to run premium fuel -- something you don't have to do now for the power you get.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Shaving the head may not work on a Forte without serious modifications elsewhere that will end up robbing power. Lower the deck, you need to shorten your valve lift, otherwise things will go 'bump'. The valve vs. piston tolerances in these engines is very likely pushed to the absolute limit already, so making a change of even a few thou could be catastrophic. Shorter valve lift requires different cams, and the R&D for that is not going to pay off as this is considered a fairly 'obscure' modification to the majority. The ECU would also need to be remapped.

Or, take that thousands of dollars and buy a turbo kit that has had all the kinks worked out... Awfully hard to impress people at the local parking spot by showing them a stock looking engine and telling them you've got $11,000 in internal work to gain 14 hp. Much easier to pop the hood on a polished turbo kit and make 'em sweat - for far, far less money.

As for porting... it's a plastic intake manifold - not going to gain anything there, and the water jackets are SO close to the runners on the head you'll likely not gain too much, anyways. Three hundred years ago this was a great power adder but in this century it's just not the same. CNC and other modern manufacturing processes have forced work like this out the door.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Shaving the head may not work on a Forte without serious modifications elsewhere that will end up robbing power. Lower the deck, you need to shorten your valve lift, otherwise things will go 'bump'. The valve vs. piston tolerances in these engines is very likely pushed to the absolute limit already, so making a change of even a few thou could be catastrophic. Shorter valve lift requires different cams, and the R&D for that is not going to pay off as this is considered a fairly 'obscure' modification to the majority. The ECU would also need to be remapped.

Or, take that thousands of dollars and buy a turbo kit that has had all the kinks worked out... Awfully hard to impress people at the local parking spot by showing them a stock looking engine and telling them you've got $11,000 in internal work to gain 14 hp. Much easier to pop the hood on a polished turbo kit and make 'em sweat - for far, far less money.

As for porting... it's a plastic intake manifold - not going to gain anything there, and the water jackets are SO close to the runners on the head you'll likely not gain too much, anyways. Three hundred years ago this was a great power adder but in this century it's just not the same. CNC and other modern manufacturing processes have forced work like this out the door.
Well said and nice points. :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shaving the head is a waste if time unless the surface is no longer true . The CnC process to modify a stock head intake and exhaust port is actually a vast improvement over the old manual grind , polish , measure method . Computer control ensures each port size and shape is absolutely identical .

Next Generation Motorsports

1 - 9 of 9 Posts