Kia Forte Forum banner

Power steering issues

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  L8apex 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the power steering, the only time I had an issue was during an Autox. The steering would go out after a few quick turns, for example after a few hard switchbacks. Does anyone if the power steering is completely electric, if so is there any way to increase the performance .

#2 ·
Is it possible that its the traction control kicking in? If so, try turning the traction off and try again. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
X2 i have a feeling this has to do with the stability/traction control

#4 ·
Guys the Eletronic Stability Control was off, during the autox run it seemed the power steering system couldn't keep up with the rapid inputs required during an autox. I believe it has to do with the fact (need someone to confirm this) that it's an electric system and lacks the capacity of a belt driven system.

#6 · (Edited)
Nope, L8apex, It's A Normal Belt Driven Hydraulic Assisted Power Steering System. The Electric Power Steering is Only Available on the EX Sedan as Part of the Fuel Economy Package.

It sounds like you are just over working the system during hard driving, at least harder than it was designed for street use, which causes the Hydrauilic Fluid to get hot and Loose Viscosity. If it's any help, if you're planning on racing your Koup, you might want to locate the Hydraulic Lines to the Reservoir and install a Power Steering Cooler (Like a Very Small Transmission Cooler) My 89 Thunderbird Supercoupe had one from the factory.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I got under the hood today to check if its belt driven or electric system.
TampaBear67 is correct it's belt driven. I will try to flush the system and change to an high performance fluid, then look into a cooler. Mfury thanks for link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.