Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked a bunch but I cannot seem to find an answer.

I have a 2013 forte ex. I have to replace the tie rods and I see that there are tie rods for vehicles with and without electric power steering. I am fairly certain that I do not have electric power steering but how do I tell?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Erik

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don’t believe the 2013 Forte has electric power steering. But it’s very easy to check:

Get in your car and turn the key to RUN position (not START). All the lights in the instrument cluster should turn on. Look for a light that says EPS (Electric Power Steering). If there is a light, you have electric power steering.

You can also look on the left side of the engine compartment (passenger side). There should be a small reservoir for the power steering fluid. The cap will say Power Steering or maybe have a picture of a steering wheel. If you have that reservoir you don’t have electric power steering, you have regular hydraulic power steering. See pic below.

·
Registered
464 Posts
All that he wrote, plus you can also count, how many pumps/units are connected to the multi v-belt. Alternator, A/c compressor are there for sure, plus the less obvious waterpump. If that is all you see, then you have an electric steering module, which would actually be located near the firewall on the passenger side, about halfway down. If there is a power steering pump, voila, hydraulic. I'm quite sure it is hydraulic in the first generation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you both for your help. It is indeed hydraulic not electric. I wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts