Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a Takeda CAI and it tucks the filter down deep into the front of the wheel well above the splash guard and I want to know the pros/ cons of using the pre-filter.

Is it a must if I'm not driving through big puddles? I'd say it stands a good 9" off the ground... thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If your talking about the water prefilter stocking they send or offer as an option, it would cause more air restriction but splashes onto the filter would run off instead of soaking in. Maybe wrap it for the wet seasons if you see alot of deep puddles in your driving area? I don't think it would prevent sucking in alot of water if you totally submerge the filter though.
Haven't seen any dyno to show just how much it decreases your CAI gain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mfury! I live in Nashville where it will go from sunny to flash flooding in minutes but hardly ever see REALLY deep puddles. Sounds like if I'm safe around deep puddles then i really don't have to worry.
Anyone else?
Anybody know Dyno results?

·
Registered
407 Posts
How did the install go? does you koup have fogs? can you see any reason why this would fit on a koup with? They say it will not work on cars with fogs

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
bypass valves for CAI's are FTW. Saved a pals motor.

aem bypass valve - Google Search

Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes

AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in. Check with your dealer or call AEM for more information on air bypass valve installation locations.

The AEM Air Bypass valve can only be used with CARB (California Air Resources Board) -Exempted Advanced Engine Management, Inc Cold Air Systems. Only applications listed under CARB E.O. # D-392-22 have exemption. The AEM Air Bypass Valve is NOT for use on forced induction vehicles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How did the install go? does you koup have fogs? can you see any reason why this would fit on a koup with? They say it will not work on cars with fogs
I installed this system on my SX Koup with Fogs and havnt had any problems. The reason is because in the Koup, the fogs are boxed out in the bumper, giving room for the Filter, where as in the sedan, there is not a boxed area :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I installed this system on my SX Koup with Fogs and havnt had any problems. The reason is because in the Koup, the fogs are boxed out in the bumper, giving room for the Filter, where as in the sedan, there is not a boxed area :)

Awesome thanks! good to hear no issues on koup SX, now just gotta find someone that can ship it to me in Canada.

·
Registered
318 Posts
dose k&n make the bypass thing??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dojaman, THANKS for the info, really. Cause where I live, when it rains, there are puddles everywhere. Ill place an order for a Bypass valve when I get the money :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i decided to go with the pre-filter. don't notice any real horsepower difference. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
i decided to go with the pre-filter. don't notice any real horsepower difference. thanks guys
Known fact is paper filters better than cloth.
But cloth flows better than paper.

So, i would use a pre-filter. But that is me.

Next time you see those K&n displays with the ping pong ball at the autozone or napa or whatever, throw a handfull of sand in the K&n and see how much hits the ball..... lol (keep your re-useable filters well oiled guys!!) They don't bother oiling the display filter....

And a 20$ bypass valve (or whatever it costs) is worth it to save your motor!! It rains all the time in Louisiana and i have seen them work well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Any restriction from a pre-filter should be minimal, but if you have heavy flash rains then it is a good safety precaution. Glad you don't have a noticeable loss in power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.