Kia Forte Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Common sense tells me that the premium might indeed help in the initial acceleration simply because the load on the engine probably requires reduced timing to prevent "ping" under heavy acceleration. Premium might allow the ECM to advance timing at that point -- but other than that 87 octate is all you probably need. Need someone to go through the trouble of actualy testing this theory on a dragstrip with times...dyno will not provide real proof.
I agree, I'd like to see the real numbers. I don't make enough money to be putting in premium all the time, but I think I'd like to do it as a treat to my car every once in a while =]

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealer filled me up with regular when I bought the car, last night I had run the car to just about empty (i had like .2 gallons left haha) and decided to fill it up with Vpower from Shell. Maybe it was just my imagination but i really feel like the car is preforming better. I feel as if I have less lag in acceleration and also accelerate faster.
It will run a little better with the computer being able to use a little more agressive timing. There is usually less ethanol used in premium as well so it'll have a little more energy potential. Generally, the small increase in performance isn't worth the $$$ for the fuel. You need a ECU flash to make it worth while. I always use 87. I'd rather spend my money on other things for the car and less pollution with 87 is a good plus as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use 87 and the car runs like a $2 Ho on nickel night:D.....when at the dealer... I stay away from the: "he said she said game"....I will always go with what the manufacture says over dealer....it's the manufacture that provides the warranty. Did you ever notice how some dealers come up with their own maintenance plan which is different from the manufacture? .....its all about vacuuming your wallet.:eek: In the end its all up to each one on how they want to proceed....IMO you can't go wrong with sticking with what KIA says. Cheers:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ok… so to get back to the fuel thing… I always look at things mathematically don’t ask me why I just do.
I use only 93 since I put the NOS kit on to avoid pre ignition like has been stated and restated several times over in this thread of being the only benefit of higher octane. That being said let’s look at the overall cost of it.
Our tank holds 13.7 gallons
Average low grade fuel in my town is 2.70 a gallon
Average High test fuel is 2.90 give or take a penny on both
So fill ups =
2.70x13.7= 36.99
2.90x13.7=39.73
Price difference = 2.74 per fill up.
Now to continue. The average miles driven per year (in US anyway) is around 15k a year. Since we seem to be required to put proof to our numbers/data here you go… Average Annual Miles per Driver by Age Group
Now for arguments sake lets use Kia’s numbers on MPG because some people are reporting worse or better based on driving style and habits. They state 23-25 on the LOW end so that is the number I will use and split it right down the middle to 24. Which I mostly drive in the city and I find those numbers to be spot on for me.
http://www.kia.com/#/forte/specifications
So on a single tank of gas I can expect to get 24x13.7=328.8 miles per tank.
So If I divide 15k miles (which is the average I can expect for the year) by the average miles per tank of 328.8 I get 45 fill ups per year.
Now if you take the price per tank difference and multiply it by 45 that should give you the amount of money you spend extra per year on premium
45x2.74=123.30
I don’t know about you but I spend more a year on soda and beer than that…
I guess it’s up to you to decide if you are “wasting” money by getting premium or not but I hope that puts things into perspective cost wise. Performance wise? All I can tell you is dyno on crap gas then dyno on good gas.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ok… so to get back to the fuel thing… I always look at things mathematically don’t ask me why I just do.
I use only 93 since I put the NOS kit on to avoid pre ignition like has been stated and restated several times over in this thread of being the only benefit of higher octane. That being said let’s look at the overall cost of it.
Our tank holds 13.7 gallons
Average low grade fuel in my town is 2.70 a gallon
Average High test fuel is 2.90 give or take a penny on both
So fill ups =
2.70x13.7= 36.99
2.90x13.7=39.73
Price difference = 2.74 per fill up.
Now to continue. The average miles driven per year (in US anyway) is around 15k a year. Since we seem to be required to put proof to our numbers/data here you go… Average Annual Miles per Driver by Age Group
Now for arguments sake lets use Kia’s numbers on MPG because some people are reporting worse or better based on driving style and habits. They state 23-25 on the LOW end so that is the number I will use and split it right down the middle to 24. Which I mostly drive in the city and I find those numbers to be spot on for me.
http://www.kia.com/#/forte/specifications
So on a single tank of gas I can expect to get 24x13.7=328.8 miles per tank.
So If I divide 15k miles (which is the average I can expect for the year) by the average miles per tank of 328.8 I get 45 fill ups per year.
Now if you take the price per tank difference and multiply it by 45 that should give you the amount of money you spend extra per year on premium
45x2.74=123.30
I don’t know about you but I spend more a year on soda and beer than that…
I guess it’s up to you to decide if you are “wasting” money by getting premium or not but I hope that puts things into perspective cost wise. Performance wise? All I can tell you is dyno on crap gas then dyno on good gas.
my mind= blown.

·
Registered
487 Posts
lol!!!! ok the short story.

If you are an average driver it will only cost you an ESTIMATED!!!! $123.30
per year more to use premium over regular. At least in my area...

see above post for proof/formula to caculate this in your area

·
Registered
487 Posts
lol I wish... A guy at work found out he had cancer and went off travel rotation for a bit so I picked up his projects... was on the road for about 4 weeks by the time i got back to the hotel I was to tired to power up laptop and get on... I have about 4 unfinished projects for the car to finish up so I am glad to be home!!!

Should be a little more active soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol!!!! ok the short story.

If you are an average driver it will only cost you an ESTIMATED!!!! $123.30
per year more to use premium over regular. At least in my area...

see above post for proof/formula to caculate this in your area
In Canada you can go almost times 3 on your estimate.

·
Registered
487 Posts
that sucks!!! move to the states eh;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys I was kinda wondering the same thing. I just bought my forte sedan sx on the 25th. So I was going to ask what kind of gas to use.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Every time I go to the pump i bust out my phone calculator and usually the difference between a full tank of regular and premium is $5-$10 bucks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Is Vpower from Shell any different then any other premium gas on other gas stations? Just wondering.
all shell gas is supposed to have cleaning agents, so vpower is premium with cleaning agents
I've been using only shell gas for the last couple months and it's been working great for me, I had a bad tank of gas (ethanol in it, terrible mpg) from a non shell station here (friend with srt-4 also had gas from there lol, his ran terribly as well) so I decided to just use shell and havent had a single problem
I just use the 87 octane shell though, not vpower
still, it seems to get slightly better mpg and the performance is probably about the same

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thnx Cory the reason why i ask is cause literally we have a shell station and a circle k right across eachother i mean literally. And i just noticed premium said Vpower. Just caught my attention. Thnx for the info man. Also isn't it bad to change like grade type like 87 to 89 or 91?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thnx Cory the reason why i ask is cause literally we have a shell station and a circle k right across eachother i mean literally. And i just noticed premium said Vpower. Just caught my attention. Thnx for the info man. Also isn't it bad to change like grade type like 87 to 89 or 91?
some people have said a higher octane makes the valve noise quieter, and it could possibly help gas mileage. Our cars are supposed to run 87 but they should adjust to a higher octane rating pretty quickly so it shouldn't really negatively affect anything

·
Registered
436 Posts
Marketing like Shell's is why people believe that there's more power in high octane gas. Technically speaking, more power can be had by using it in an engine that can benefit from it, (Nissan's VQ V6 for example) but in our case, I think it's just a waste of money. Our ecu MIGHT advance the timing a little, but even the most sensitive butt dyno won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
576 Posts
some people have said a higher octane makes the valve noise quieter, and it could possibly help gas mileage. Our cars are supposed to run 87 but they should adjust to a higher octane rating pretty quickly so it shouldn't really negatively affect anything
Here in Australia the dealers say run Premium which is 95-97 octane.. regular unleaded is 91.
But Gas prices are high here $1.32 @litre for regular 91oct and up to $1.40 for premium 95oct:(

·
Registered
567 Posts
Here in Australia the dealers say run Premium which is 95-97 octane.. regular unleaded is 91.
But Gas prices are high here $1.32 @litre for regular 91oct and up to $1.40 for premium 95oct:(
ouchhh

·
Registered
973 Posts
in addendum: higher octane gas will make your car run richer, which, if your supposed to run lower octane, will actually rob you of power in theory

41 - 60 of 78 Posts