Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
in addendum: higher octane gas will make your car run richer, which, if your supposed to run lower octane, will actually rob you of power in theory
*reply deleted*

P.S. Just read through some of the posts. Your all fricken looney for going into that much depth about it. ;)
Bottom line, unless your doing a full tune and checking every single ratio of shiznit in your car each fill up the choice is yours lol. Use it or don't use it. Overall for a stock vehicle imo i don't think premium is worth it.

P.S.S. Ya know what, to hell with it not getting sucked into another one of these debates no sir. Not while it's drinking hour!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So from what I read here is that no one is really clear on the extra power thing and really I'm not overly concerned about that. What I would like to know is if there is anything to premium gas keeping your engine cleaner. I know the vpower commercials talk about the cleaning agents. Does this additive have a benefit in the long run. (and I really don't know anything about the insides of cars so if someone can answer this in simple terms I would appreciate it. I am buying my Koup SX this week and want to know if there is a benefit in the long run to using vpower cause if so I would gladly fork over the few extra dollars when i go to fill the tank)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
If you pick a gasoline that on the top tier list; you should not have an issue using regular grade of gasoline. These retailers have agreed to have a higher percentage of detergents in all grades, not just their premium.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

·
Registered
487 Posts
ok I have had some free time and decided to try all 3 grades of gas in my car. To my suprise the car actually seemed to run best on 89. I tried 87,89,93. Now it just could be that my climate humidity sea level and factory tune just like the 89 best. No clue.. and all this was done with the highly calibrated "seat of my pants" dyno. It just seemed to run smooth and actually have better low end. That being said... I will stay with the 93. You never know when you will find yourself at the "track" next to a civic and have to use a little spray to put it in its place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are my two cents about fuel.

My backround is in fuel for the US Air Force, i pump jet fuel but i am required to know about regular fuel as well for our ground vehicles. Higher Octane is only required at a higher compression ratio than the typical car, For example my 2006 focus that i recently traded in had a 136HP 2.0L DOHC I4 with a 10.1:1 Compression ratio. Ford called for 87 octane to be used, and i used the cheapest fuel available, 89 octane (here 87 and 89 cost the same) The forte has a 10.5:1 ratio according to the Kia Website. Only advantage to use premium is the fact that they may put more detergents in, but you can go to the local Autozone/O'Reileys/etc and pick up your favorite cleaner, STP,Techron,Seafoam,etc for 5 bucks and put a concentrated dose in your tank.

Now, i always ran 89 octane in the focus, and the forte as soon as i use up the dealer provided full tank because it costs 2.69 a Gallon, Vs 2.79 a gal for 87 (at some stations) or 2.69 at most stations. 89 is cheaper becaues it is 10% ethanol which i think helps the car a bit as it removes water from the tank. Unless you need a high octane fuel (Forced Induction, increased compression ratio, etc) you should stick with what ever is cheapest in your area, even if it is like here and is 89 octane with 10% ethanol. E10 will not hurt the car, nor will it impact MPG. My experence with the focus is that it will get 32MPG on the highway doing 70mph on either fuel and i expect that to be true with the Forte, and any other small car.

And remember this last fact, until that gas is loaded onto that semi to take it to the station it is all comingled, Just each company adds something at the loading header that makes it special. I.E. Techron, Nitrogen (shell), Detergents.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Using premium gas in an engine designed for 87 octane is. pure & simple. a waste of money! Why do it?!
Because some people just can't understand simple logic.

They like to use premium cuz they feel better because of how it's called and they want it to be better so hard that their mind tricks them into thinking the car actually runs better, even though different tests and logic clearly shows you should stick to the recommended octane rating 95% of the time.

A Forte doesn't need "premium" and will not run better on it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
And remember this last fact, until that gas is loaded onto that semi to take it to the station it is all comingled, Just each company adds something at the loading header that makes it special. I.E. Techron, Nitrogen (shell), Detergents.
Not too sure how it runs down in your neck of the woods, but up here where we actually make the fuel, it's all very much separate as each oil company has their own refinery and distribution systems in place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
just don't put gas...leave the car parked...and you save money! end of story. bye..Happy New Year Guys......:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
the 2010 Forte manual says " UNLEADED GASOLINE. AKI INDEX 87 or higher "

i decided to test the 87 and 93 octane dilemma

by driving with 87 octane for 4 weeks ( one month )
then switching to 93 for 4 weeks.

then tracking MPG for 87 and 93, respectively.

fueling up on the same gas station, Shell on 183 and Duval (Austin,TX), and entering data using Road Trip LE for iPhone (shameless plug-in.. :D )

anyhoo, here's what i got so far.

93 - 24.55 mpg
87 - 26.64 mpg

·
Premium Member
977 Posts

fueling up on the same gas station, Shell on 183 and Duval (Austin,TX), and entering data using Road Trip LE for iPhone (shameless plug-in.. :D )

93 - 24.55 mpg
87 - 26.64 mpg
Thanks for your tests ryukenden777, that should settle the discussion!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi !

Did anyone try or is regulary using premium gasoline for is 2.4L Forte Koup ? Have you seen some benefits if yes ?
It's supposed to upgrade performance, the engine preservation, the valve cleanliness and to decrease the fuel comsuption.

well, I know which difference does a 91 octane fuel, but it is better in a high compression level engine.

What do you think about that ?

·
Registered
3 Posts

93 - 24.55 mpg
87 - 26.64 mpg
so so I have the Forte 2.4 liter and I live in the Rocky Mountain States which fuses 85 is it based my recommendation to get a bottle of gumout octane booster put it in I got six hundred miles out of one tank and excellent horsepower up the mountain the car runs like crap on 87 rough and like the upper cylinder is going to explode the higher octane keep your cylinder and valve cooler and just drive it like it should be and you'll be fine She Don't redline at 7000 for no reason. I most definitely would not recommend that you getting the octane level over 93 on this car though you'll see a difference but use the gum out octane booster 1/2 btl to a full tank of 87 or a full btl to save money in the rocky mountain states that give 85 & 86

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
so so I have the Forte 2.4 liter and I live in the Rocky Mountain States which fuses 85 is it based my recommendation to get a bottle of gumout octane booster put it in I got six hundred miles out of one tank
Only the 1st gen Forte (2010-2013) have the 2.4L engine. Those cars have a 13.7 gal tank. 600 miles out of one tank would be 43.8 MPH. Do the math: 600/14.7

I call bull s#it.

and excellent horsepower up the mountain the car runs like crap on 87 rough and like the upper cylinder is going to explode the higher octane keep your cylinder and valve cooler and just drive it like it should be and you'll be fine She Don't redline at 7000 for no reason. I most definitely would not recommend that you getting the octane level over 93 on this car though you'll see a difference but use the gum out octane booster 1/2 btl to a full tank of 87 or a full btl to save money in the rocky mountain states that give 85 & 86
Dude, you are talking out of your arse and have no clue.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts