Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the SX auto koupe with leather and sunroof. I'm wondering, how has the negotiation process gone for people with this car? I know it's new, so I assume there isn't much wiggle room, but is there any?? I'm going to need all the help I can get because if I trade in, it's a pretty modified 2006 Scion tC with 120,000 miles and I don't think they'll be too generous with that. ;)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
From what I found out during my experience is to sell your car privately and then deal on the price of the car. From what I've been told the dealers don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to the price. I went to trade in my 2005 Neon with 156,000 km (97,500 mi) and was offered $2500 which is the wholesale value.
Retail, in other words what they would sell it for on the lot, was about $4000. I sold it for $4600 in 3 days, $2100 more than they were offering.
It's much easier to work out your best deal with some cash in hand and no trade in.

Another piece of advice I've heard is to go to buy your car on the last 2 days of the month. This is when the sales dept is scrambling to make their targets and you might catch them short and desperate to make sales.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
That's one of the reasons I sold mine privately. I still owed $3800 on a car they wanted to give me $2500 for. So I sold it and then took the cash to the bank and paid off the loan and still had $800 in my pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try Carmax, I sold them 2 cars in the past. Sometimes they give a good offer and sometimes they rip u off. But you got nothing to lose!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2005 dodge ram truck fully loaded and owed $11500 on it on a truck it would have taken me way longer to sell it out right. Plus I had problems and wanted a specific model of the koup so I got the car I wanted. But on got $8500 on my trade. The more you put down and better your credit is the lower your not will be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd make sure to keep and eye on the dealer extras. Mine tried $99 for nitrogen in the tires and $199 for the -->factory<-- tint. Also, wanted to charge me $1400 for the shipping cost to get the vehicle delivered, had to do a dealer trade. Got the charges for N and tint taken off and shipping down to $780. As, for my trade in, got $1000 for a clean titled 94 buick skylark. you can check kbb.com if you want to figure who got the better end of that deal. as for the msrp, i actually find it reasonable, given mine was a special order. though, if your buying one on the lot i'd expect some flux, i'd probably even tell them it wasn't the color I really wanted and come back a day or two and let them "talk" me into it. should let your barter skills shine or not at that point ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's one of the reasons I sold mine privately. I still owed $3800 on a car they wanted to give me $2500 for. So I sold it and then took the cash to the bank and paid off the loan and still had $800 in my pocket.
So, did you just give the person that you were selling the car to the title with your info and the lien on it and they get the title transferred over themselves?

I also have the added wrinkle that I don't want to lose my personalized license plate... if I sell the car privately and then don't get a new car for another week or so, do I have to surrender the plates?

Thanks for the help and tips, everyone!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
So, did you just give the person that you were selling the car to the title with your info and the lien on it and they get the title transferred over themselves?

I also have the added wrinkle that I don't want to lose my personalized license plate... if I sell the car privately and then don't get a new car for another week or so, do I have to surrender the plates?

Thanks for the help and tips, everyone!
I think these kind of things are different country to country, state to state and even provinve to province.
When you sell a car privately in British Columbia, you simply fill out a transfer of ownership form, both parties sign it, they give you the cash and you give them the title and keys. You keep the plates and insurance as they are in your name and you simply transfer them to your new vehicle or return the plate and get a refund on the remaining insurance.
Here in BC we have a Government run auto insurance, this makes things a lot simpler and fairer. Nobody can get turned down, you just pay more or less based on your claims history.
As far as the lein goes, it's up to the purchaser to do a lien search if they are feel you are trying to rip them off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts