Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so i bought my forte koup sx an almost the same day looked for a CAI lol, but coulnt find one. So i went a did a quick and cheapy. I just bought cone filter took all the plastic off the stock intake and stuck the cone right on the stock intake hose haha. It sounds awsome but one problem. My buddie works at kia and is in charge of service dept and parts. So i told him about my quicky and he started freaking out LITTERALLYYYY he said that the cpu which is located right next to the stock inake box on the right side has a vent conected to the box............................

Basicly its like this the stock air intake is made so that the air is not only sucked from front of the car but though the vents in the cpu so that the cpu can stay cool using the STOCK air intake............... ***ing rediculous so he insisted that i put my stock intake back on there becuase he said without the stock intake the cpu WILLl overheat and fry along with some other stuff and kia WILL NOT replace it. So. are there any aftermarket CAIs that are aware of that ?????? :mad:

**mod clean due to complaint

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
turbokits.com has a cai will be out next week you can order now has a ecu relocation bracket the intake go down tuck in ur bumber all for 250 bucks there our alternatives but this cai has proven dyno numbers 11hp 10ft tq

·
Registered
117 Posts
So i guess the forte is the only ecu that needs cooled uh?:confused: Sounds like a crok!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You can see if you lift up your cover on the air box where there is a big hole and the ECU has fins on it inside I'd asume that if you relocate it next to the grill it'd be just fine with all the cool air moving in that direction, I have to say this is the only car I've seen with this kind of set up.. hope its not like the old dsm cars where Mitshu had big trouble with there computers due to some faulty parts not sure what they were.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
yeah thats what I thought it was.. I luckly never had a problem with my dsm.. but I agree most likely this won't be a problem..
I mean like you said normally most cars there under the seat or inside the car.. but with are kia's there under the hood lots of moving air there should be fine

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
This is one problem I have pointed out before.

The answer I got from turbo-kits.com was that they were going to manufacture mounts, and that's it. There's a reason as to why the engineers at KIA have the ECM/PCM is integrated into the intake system. They did it because they need to cool down the ECM, and that explains why the ECM has a heat sink. It is completely obvious. Why else would they do it? For fun? To look cool? I don't think so.

You can argue that other cars have different configuration for the ECM, but those are other car manufacturers. You can't say "most likely" or "probably" won't be a problem because you don't really know. CAN YOU PROVE THAT IT WON'T BE A PROBLEM? or are you just randomly assuming it wont...

Sure, drive for a few minutes, pop your hood and it's "not hot", but then drive for a few hours this summer, and let’s see how it goes...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Once i get my CAI from turbo kits installed I will figure out a way to get air back to the ecu. That is if turbo kits has not already done this. In my earlier post i said that its crazy that the forte is the only ecu that needs cooled.....then I thought more about it....DUH!!!! The ecu sits in the engine bay where it is crazy hot all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turbo kits.com reply

So i emailed the ppl at turbokits.com and asked about the ecu problem here was there response.....

Our cold air intake system does come with the bracket to mount the stock ECU
to. Because the factory air intake system is so large, a portion of the
intake is designed to circulate airflow around the ECU. With that large
stock intake system removed, the airflow around the ECU is naturally
increased. The quality, fitment, and performance gains are so impressive we
have Kia Dealerships that can't wait to install them in customer cars!
Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like to order.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Its very curious indeed

but after looking at the set up kia has here I myself have obvious concerns/thoughts about changing it.. 1. ecu 2 are car kind of has a ram air intake set up already

Do note I understand the CAI would be more direct but for stock this system seems very good IMO. And as anthony said there is good reason for the heat sinks

I still stand by my I can't be sure but most likely it will be ok.. lol
on the other hand you could build a box with a fan and a ram air set up ooh hey wait kia did that already

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I drove for hours on highway and 20 minutes in city then checked ECU and it was barely warm with the TurboKits CAI and the air box only having the two hoses removed with no filter inside. The temp outside was around 24C at the time. I can see the guy flipping out maybe if you were in the desert driving in +50C temps and needing to keep that ECU cool. They should have not stuck it near an engine if that was the case anyhow.

There is room to have the ram stock intake hose still connected to the airbox and leave the ECU as stock setup to cool the box more if you want with the CAI installed.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think thats what I'd do if I do run a CAI is keep the intake hose connected and then there should be no trouble and you'll get the best of both worlds

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hhhmmm

Ok so i wonder if you could set it up like this: hose from engine to stock box with no filter then from filter run a cai? i wonder if you could get the same result as just running a cai and saying screw the box aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes:lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ok so i wonder if you could set it up like this: hose from engine to stock box with no filter then from filter run a cai? i wonder if you could get the same result as just running a cai and saying screw the box aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes:lol
You would lose much performance with a setup like that due to longer air travel, small tubing, factory tubing not smooth and turbulence going into a square box then back out. May as well just stay factory.

·
Registered
973 Posts
why wouldnt you just run stock hose from induction point at the front of the bay to the air box. then cai from throttle body instead of air box to tb

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is pretty much what i have done. I left the front piece and all the tubing from the front piece to the air box in place. then just removed the tube from the air box to the throttle body and ran the cold air intake right off the throttle body. more than enough air is forced through there to keep the ecu cool unless you do drive in reverse everywhere you go. :p

·
Registered
576 Posts
After reading posts here about ECU getting hot I made a simple modification. I had some flexible tubing lying around so I connected it to the front of the car where factory air intake use to go, then the other end I connected to the top outlet of the old airbox (minus filter). 5 minutes to do and now ECU should be getting plenty of cool air:)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
After reading posts here about ECU getting hot I made a simple modification. I had some flexible tubing lying around so I connected it to the front of the car where factory air intake use to go, then the other end I connected to the top outlet of the old airbox (minus filter). 5 minutes to do and now ECU should be getting plenty of cool air:)
That's the best solution I've seen so far, better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nice rpps good plan looks like it should do the same job it was doing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts