Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have instructions on programming a remote for a 2010 Kia Forte. Yes I know I can take to a dealer but they are so far away. Can anybody help.?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have not tried this, but maybe try inserting key. turn on/off x5 or x8, then on the 5th (or 8th) time press and hold the lock/unlock button.

Try a combination of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine gave me a FOB and a key that didn't work with my vehicle... I have since complained (but, have yet to fix it)... They stated that they were sorry, and that they had to program the FOB and they don't ever charge to program.

I would figure if they didn't charge it would have to be super easy like in and out 5 minutes later... If that was the case then shouldn't we be able to do the same...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I will call the nearest dealer and let you know if they ended up charging me.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. I will call the nearest dealer and let you know if they ended up charging me.
If your dealership is too far away, check your local custom install shop. When i got my remote start, it took the guy less than 5 minutes to program both keys

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Transmitter Code Registration (Using Code Saver)
Open Door.
Connect POWER (B+) and GND, signal line of Code Saver.
If connection is normal, signal line is activated and RED LED turns ON.
If SW of Code Saver turns ON, data via signal line will be transmitted.
BCM enters into Code Save mode when it receives data from Code Saver and send Code Save Start signal via signal line.
Code Saver turns Green LED ON when it receives Code Save Start signal.
When you press Lock or Unlock button of transmitter, BCM will save Codes.
If there are 2 transmitters for Code Saving, register by performing item 7).
If SW of Code Saver turns OFF or is disconnected, Code Saving mode will be finished.

Transmitter Code Registration (Using GDS)
Connect the DLC cable of GDS to the data link connector (16 pins) in driver side crash pad lower panel, turn the GDS ON.
Select the vehicle model and then do "CODE SAVING"

After selecting "CODE SAVING" menu, button "ENTER" key, then the screen will be shown as below.

After removing the ignition key from key cylinder, push "ENTER" key to proceed to the next mode for code saving. Follow steps 1 to 4 and then code saving is completed.

This is whats on Kia Tech info

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Transmitter Code Registration (Using Code Saver)
Open Door.
Connect POWER (B+) and GND, signal line of Code Saver.
If connection is normal, signal line is activated and RED LED turns ON.
If SW of Code Saver turns ON, data via signal line will be transmitted.
BCM enters into Code Save mode when it receives data from Code Saver and send Code Save Start signal via signal line.
Code Saver turns Green LED ON when it receives Code Save Start signal.
When you press Lock or Unlock button of transmitter, BCM will save Codes.
If there are 2 transmitters for Code Saving, register by performing item 7).
If SW of Code Saver turns OFF or is disconnected, Code Saving mode will be finished.

Transmitter Code Registration (Using GDS)
Connect the DLC cable of GDS to the data link connector (16 pins) in driver side crash pad lower panel, turn the GDS ON.
Select the vehicle model and then do "CODE SAVING"

After selecting "CODE SAVING" menu, button "ENTER" key, then the screen will be shown as below.

After removing the ignition key from key cylinder, push "ENTER" key to proceed to the next mode for code saving. Follow steps 1 to 4 and then code saving is completed.

This is whats on Kia Tech info
Unfortunately those steps all require either a special tool or GDS. I wish it were simple like shorting pins in the BCM like on a Grand Prix.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe the dealer had to do one for me on a Hyundai. The key fob is the same. I don't believe I was charged at the time. They have to program the TPMS units as well with their "magic" hand held computer. If your dealer is a good guy he will charge you little or nothing. If he is a thief he will stick it to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
To me, dealers charging for this service is something that is really not necessary. Although, I'm sure the dealers would disagree, as it does take up their time and they need to be compensated for their time and (work?). If it is the dealers fault, such as a dealer that has delivered a vehicle without a working key transmitter, then they should certainly provide programming at no cost. Of course, if you are trying to get the key programmed at a dealership that you haven't purchased the vehicle from or whatever, then I can certainly see them charging for the service, however, it is usually something that is fairly simple and most diy'ers can do themselves. I haven't done my kia yet, however, I have done many other vehicles and it is usually not very complicated. I googled "GDS programming remote for kia" and came up with this site...although I haven't tried it... so give it a shot b4 spending 50 bux at a dealership. Please let me know how you make out.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5839672_program-keyless-kia-remote.html

·
Registered
593 Posts
To me, dealers charging for this service is something that is really not necessary. Although, I'm sure the dealers would disagree, as it does take up their time and they need to be compensated for their time and (work?).

I googled "GDS programming remote for kia" and came up with this site...although I haven't tried it... so give it a shot b4 spending 50 bux at a dealership.
I think dealers certainly have a right to charge for this but I think it's also short sighted. I took 2 key FOBs in to be programmed. On the phone they told me it would cost about $20. I did not have an issue with that. When I got there the guy at the counter took about 5 minutes to program both. This included walking into a back room to get the machine to connect to the OBDII port. Some dealers want $50 for this? Guy said, it's free today... think about bringing your car here when you need service. That is how you do business.

As far as programming yourself. I searched and searched. Nothing worked. I think it's only possible via dealership machine and the OBDII port.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts