Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to this site and Kia. I previously owned a Mazda 3. I wanted another key and clicker for safe keeping but didn't feel like paying for Mazda to program them. So i did some searching around and found a how to and found instructions.

** THIS IS FOR MAZDA**
**1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and urn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second. **
**THIS IS FOR MAZDA**

I was skeptical myself but it actually did work. Is there anything like this for KIA? I really want a extra set for safe keeping but don't want to pay for programming.

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's a step by step in the manuel, you'll need your original key number (should have been attach to the keys given by dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm looking in the manual for this step by step and I cant find it. I checked the key section. Do you know what section? I already have two keys, I just want a third. I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
746 Posts
jsz3us - a max of 2 smart keys can be registerred for one vehicle.
section 4-4, pg. 78 of 360 of Forte Owners Manual.

Did you only receive one at time of purchase?

the battery is cr2032 & should last several years.
section 4-7, pg.81 of 360 of Forte Owners Manual.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that part. I don't have a smart key. I received 2 when I bought the car. My keys are just transponder keys.

There is 2 types of keys, Type A-transponder key, Type B- Smart key.

Manuals definition of smart key:
Middle of page 4:3, With a smart key, you can lock or unlock a door and even start the engine without inserting the key.

I am looking for instructions on Type A, the transponder key.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I read that part. I don't have a smart key. I received 2 when I bought the car. My keys are just transponder keys.

There is 2 types of keys, Type A-transponder key, Type B- Smart key.

Manuals definition of smart key:
Middle of page 4:3, With a smart key, you can lock or unlock a door and even start the engine without inserting the key.

I am looking for instructions on Type A, the transponder key.

Thanks in advanced.
idk if this will help i think the forte's in the U.S. dont have the chipped cuz i have 4 keys and 4 remotes to mine had to take it to the dealer to get the remotes programed and i just went to walmart to get 2 extrea keys cut

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to know! Did you get yours keys off of ebay?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts