Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2019 LXS and want to change the stock bulbs in the DRL spot with LED lights/Bulbs

I went to Autozone today and accidentally bought a pair of amber 1157's, which I'm sure y'all know did not work.
I returned them and went to Advanced Auto Parts and was able to find a pair of Amber 1156A bulbs, which worked fine when plugged into my car, but it throws a code when you turn the car on, so I took them out and returned them.

When I installed them initially, Like I said they operated as expected, just the error code..

I called my local Kia dealership and asked why it would be throwing a flag, they said it could be the LEDs drawing too little/too much power but weren't certain if it was that or not. They had factory Aspirated Amber bulbs I could buy for about $3-4/each, so I did that for now so I atleast can be content with the look I was looking for

The manual says they take "P20W" bulbs, which as far as I can tell are the same thing as 1156's? Or is that wrong?
If I search for P20W or 1156 bulbs on Amazon the description under most of the available LED's it says "Cross reference with (Other bulb types compatible) Should I add "With Canbus" in my search to find bulbs that will not give me an error?

Or has anyone successfully swapped the DRLs with Amber LEDs and not have errors upon startup?

Specific recommendations from Amazon? Im looking to get the brightest Amber LEDs I can find for my DRLs without having to deal with errors every time.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2019 FE and used these:

Yes, I installed 1157s and did need to grind the upper lug down on the bulb a bit to fit in the socket, really a non issue. They are amber and very bright.

Yes, 1156 is the correct #. I purchased the 4 pack of 1157 so I had a set for a boat trailer.

No code on the dash, all is normal. LOVE the amber LED bulbs in there.

View attachment 80708
Yeah that looks nice, so just grinding the one knob off allows it to fit into the 1156 socket?

I'm at a loss reading that, using a different bulb, jerry rigged it, and no error codes whatsoever?
Alternate reality

Any issues with those LEDs? Like excessive heat or random electrical systems not working elsewhere? If it's really as simple as grinding a knob off and plugging them in again, might give it another whirl today or sometime this/next week

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, No heat issues, no warning lamps. I'd suggest you purchase the correct #1156 in the link posted above if you do not want to mod your 1157s.

I made the 1157 work because I have lots of extra awesomeness laying around :). If you want to try your 1157s, simply remove this little knob with a file or sand paper. The bulb will install and lock in the socket with 0 issues - works fine! YMMV.

Here is the nub I removed, forgot I took a pic during the install. I removed 75% of the knob and it works perfect.

20200504_165341.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
The system does a check of certain safety systems when you start the car, and the DRLs are part of it. So when you buy replacement bulbs you need to ensure they are what's called Canbus friendly/compatible. Meaning they have a resistor built in that tricks the system into thinking it's a higher wattage bulb. Otherwise the low draw from the LED doesn't register and the system thinks the bulb has been blown.

It's interesting because you folks back in America use 1156 as DRLs while in Australia we use 1157.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hello, No heat issues, no warning lamps. I'd suggest you purchase the correct #1156 in the link posted above if you do not want to mod your 1157s.

I made the 1157 work because I have lots of extra awesomeness laying around :). If you want to try your 1157s, simply remove this little knob with a file or sand paper. The bulb will install and lock in the socket with 0 issues - works fine! YMMV.

Here is the nub I removed, forgot I took a pic during the install. I removed 75% of the knob and it works perfect.

View attachment 80709
Ok so oddly enough I found some 1157 Red LEDs laying around my house, I grinded the nubs off and put them in, still giving me an error code :/

I'm gonna guess either my particular car doesn't like me, or blame the dual filament on the bottom of the 1157s for giving me errors still.
They lit up and the error code was on/off randomly, so it's an improvement from the first attempt where I had a solid and constant code

I'm gonna check local places and see if I can find single filament 1157s, which im assuming don't exist at in-person stores.
Last resort and attempt at this will be the linked LEDs above, if that doesn't work I'll probably just give up

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm gonna check local places and see if I can find single filament 1157s, which im assuming don't exist at in-person stores.
Last resort and attempt at this will be the linked LEDs above, if that doesn't work I'll probably just give up
Alternatively you could just buy resistors. These go between the plug and the bulb and trick the system into thinking it's a higher wattage bulb. This way you can pretty much use any bulb you want without the hyperflash or error code.

In my experience a lot of sellers claim to be 'canbus friendly' but lie and the bulb still ends up hyperflashing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alternatively you could just buy resistors. These go between the plug and the bulb and trick the system into thinking it's a higher wattage bulb. This way you can pretty much use any bulb you want without the hyperflash or error code.

In my experience a lot of sellers claim to be 'canbus friendly' but lie and the bulb still ends up hyperflashing.

Ok that looks pretty simple, so you just connect your new bulb to the adapter and plug the false bulb end into the stock socket? Would this be able to be used with any 1156 LEDs instead of trying the modded 1157 method?

Soldering anything I personally don't want to risk, regardless if I thought I could pull it off safely..

The help is very appreciated (y)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok that looks pretty simple, so you just connect your new bulb to the adapter and plug the false bulb end into the stock socket? Would this be able to be used with any 1156 LEDs instead of trying the modded 1157 method?

Soldering anything I personally don't want to risk, regardless if I thought I could pull it off safely..

The help is very appreciated (y)
Hopefully the factory plug is the same as the universal plug they have. But yes, it's just a go-between and should be simply plug and play. I've used it on my previous car and it works well at getting rid of the error message. However from experience, they don't tend to last long. Well, maybe because in my previous car it was exposed to the elements being so close to the ground (foglights). It kept getting water damaged. Hopefully it won't be the same in this case.

But yeah, should work on any 1156 bulb, filament or LED. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the 1156 from the Amazon link also and they work great. The passenger side one has been randomly saying check DRL for just secs at a time and goes away. I will replace it with another one to see if it does it still. Here is also a pic of comparing stock (passenger side) to the LED on (drivers side)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts