Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia and Hyundai are now the most easily stolen vehicle in 2022.

Any ideas on things to do?

The Klub on the steering wheel, GPS OBD tracker (though this can easily be removed, would be better wired in a hidden spot via the fuse box). Any other ideas?

I've put a ton of work into my car. I don't want to lose it.

· Registered
2022 gt2
1,022 Posts
Worst thing you can do is let everyone know how you are theftproofing your car... first best precaution is a proper insurance policy in case all else fails...

· Registered
3,034 Posts
Debadge any Kia/Hyundai emblems & stick on some foreign ones.

Instal a rolling code vehicle alarm/viper alarm.

Deflate the tires.

Kill switch (not kills witch)🤣😂🤣

Aftermarket removable steering wheel.

Unplug & remove the electric gas pedal.

Rig up an airbag as anti theft device to detonate when they don't find the off switch tripping the airbag.

Remove the starter, fuel pump, ignition relays.

Remove the battery.

Remove the ignition coils.

Put in a garage.

Manual/standard transmission as an anti theft.

Buy a gun & protect your property & let God sort'em out.

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,814 Posts
Don't have to. Keyless start IS NOT easy to steal!

· Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
593 Posts
As I recall, Kias without a transponder in the key that communicates with an engine immobilizer are the cars most at risk for theft. Here, a thief need only to pull the ignition switch and manually engage the starter.

Cars equipped with this transponder/immobilizer have an orange light that illuminates on startup. It is a sideview of a car with a key inside it. Don't have this light then you are most at risk.

Again as I remember the initial news report, professional thieves know which cars do not have the immobilizer and target them for theft because they can be stolen so quickly.

A kill switch is good and will probably work, but it won't stop you from getting a broken window and pulled ignition switch. Best deterrent is the the steering wheel Club (Klub?) that the thieves will see and decide it will take too much time to steal your car.

I believe some insurance carriers will give you a slight discount if you use the Club.

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
Don't have to. Keyless start IS NOT easy to steal!
You’d be surprised what some thieves can do with a little bit of computer knowledge

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,814 Posts
You’d be surprised what some thieves can do with a little bit of computer knowledge
True. BUT if you're going to throw in "specialized thieves" then NO car is safe...

· Registered
2023 Forte GT Manual Sporty Blue
344 Posts
Best deterrent is the the steering wheel Club (Klub?) that the thieves will see and decide it will take too much time to steal your car.

I believe some insurance carriers will give you a slight discount if you use the Club.
I saw a video a little while back that showed an ex-thief disabling a club in 30 secs.

All you can really do these days is deter lazy thieves and keep honest people honest. If someone wants something of yours bad enough, they’ll get it.

· Registered
2022 gt2
1,022 Posts
I saw a video a little while back that showed an ex-thief disabling a club in 30 secs.

All you can really do these days is deter lazy thieves and keep honest people honest. If someone wants something of yours bad enough, they’ll get it.
If a thief is dead set on taking your car it won’t matter what you do, he will show up with a tow truck if necessary.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
A hack saw to the steering wheel, then slide pull the thing off. The club is a joke when we 1st saw it on steering wheels. So are brake or gas pedal clubs. In my younger yrs I used to GTA.

The more obvious the deterent is exposed the faster it will be stolen.

Transponder/rolling codes are harder unless one spends the money to get the code reading/copy & paste frequencies those vehicles aren't safe. Especially Teslas. Those can have their NAV/GPS 100% turned off & disabled that cops, Tesla app tracking can't find & real time/live track it. A dead Tesla in tow mode will work for sure to stop the thefts.

One helpful way for the standard key fob/remotes vehicles is to remove the CR2016, 2032, 2025 etc key fob remote battery before you for sure call it a night, extended length of stationary, a pouch or lead lined pouch/box that blocks the rolling code & frequencies/radio transmissions communications from sender & receiver can help to make it harder that turns into longer time to deal with is good way to add more Seconds & creating higher risk to get caught.

On a laptop or phablet. The frequencies & codes look exactly like an audio wave format. Copy & paste that in the sending the external receiver/laptop will unlock the vehicles.

Push start vehicles are the easiest. As long as the push start module is reading the frequencies on start up for a few second the vehicle can be driven/stolen away. Even if the dash blinks/flashes or states key not detected/key fob undetected. That's just a scare tactics to the owner.

Those messages or similar are a threat to high end/expensive vehicles they'll shut off & or go into limp mode.

If one is thinking BT or phone to use on the car, just leave the keys on the wipers or hand over your keys. That's straight up 🤡.

The best is old school analog. Which I typed a few.

We'd drive around the neighborhood/parking lots, hospitals covered parking, mall covered parking s, multi leveled covered parking, movie theater parkings, especially long term airport parking. looking for targeted specific vehicles during the day scanning & copying their frequencies & codes then go back for them. The greatest we're when it was spring break & summer vacation when high schools & colleges let out.

Knowing what I know, never had a single vehicle stolen even when I've let the doors unlocked or a window cracked.

If a vehicle looks like a sleeper with the "Imma gonna make you work for that ass" car thieves won't bother trying to tap that ass.

· Registered
2021 KIA FORTE LXS
69 Posts
On my 21 LXS on the front door windows there is a etched security system warning next to the glass identification info, cannot find out what the security system is, dealer was no help and as far as I can tell. I do not have an engine immobilizer, there is not immobilizer symbol displayed on the dash when turning the key on. It's not a dealer add on so assuming its factory
Hood Grille Automotive design Motor vehicle Rectangle

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
On my 21 LXS on the front door windows there is a etched security system warning next to the glass identification info, cannot find out what the security system is, dealer was no help and as far as I can tell. I do not have an engine immobilizer, there is not immobilizer symbol displayed on the dash when turning the key on. It's not a dealer add on so assuming its factory View attachment 88353 View attachment 88353 View attachment 88353
Looks to be factory. I haven’t heard of a new car without an immobilizer/security system except for like the Mitsubishi Mirage

· Registered
593 Posts
On my 21 LXS on the front door windows there is a etched security system warning next to the glass identification info, cannot find out what the security system is, dealer was no help and as far as I can tell. I do not have an engine immobilizer, there is not immobilizer symbol displayed on the dash when turning the key on. It's not a dealer add on so assuming its factory View attachment 88353 View attachment 88353 View attachment 88353
The security symbol resembles what was on my 2019 Sonata, so I believe it is a factory unit, either dealer or factory installed. Perhaps it was an option or part of a package.

You should find information in your owner's manual

In regard to the Kias most stolen, the original news report said it was entry-level first and second generation Fortes. These do not have engine immobilizers and can be stolen by ripping out the ignition. All 2022 Fortes have the engine immobilizer.

· Registered
2021 KIA FORTE LXS
69 Posts
Owners manual does not provide much info regarding immobilizer, one website I read said the the immobilizer indicator on the dash will only illuminate if the incorrect key is used, maybe that is why I am not seeing the symbol, though about getting a just plain key made for test purposes, but key shops in my area want $50.00-70.00 for a laser cut key.

· Registered
593 Posts
Owners manual does not provide much info regarding immobilizer, one website I read said the the immobilizer indicator on the dash will only illuminate if the incorrect key is used, maybe that is why I am not seeing the symbol, though about getting a just plain key made for test purposes, but key shops in my area want $50.00-70.00 for a laser cut key.
The immobilizer light illuminates each time on startup on my '22 LXS. Rather than spend money on a key that may or may not work, a visit to your local Kia dealership would be good to see what they say.

Again, I can only go by news reports, but it was said that entry level Fortes do not have an immobilizer but all '22 models do. I suspect the immobilizer was something Kua added to all '22 models.

Another idea: Talk to your insurance agent to see if they give a discount for an anti-theft system. That may give you an idea of a possible addition.

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
If someone wants to steal my base model, I don’t care. I’ll pick it up 50 feet later when they can’t figure out the transmission

· Registered
593 Posts
If someone wants to steal my base model, I don’t care. I’ll pick it up 50 feet later when they can’t figure out the transmission
They won't get even that far. They may get it in gear but they will never be able to operate the clutch.

I wanted a manual transmission car but supply chain issues meant I had only one choice -- to buy a Fire Orange Forte that lingered on the lot because most buyers didn't like the color. Someday I'll buy precisely the car that I want.

· Registered
593 Posts
If you want to confuse a millennial, talk about:
- a phonograph.
- a LP record.
- transistor radio.
- three on the tree.
- a party line.
- double clutch.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts