Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all the input and positive comments on the "factory" SRI mod, I went to Advance Auto parts, bought the filter and slapped it on. 10 minutes from the time I walked out the door to the time I was taking it for a test spin. Love the throaty sound now when I get over 2500 RPM. Tomorrow I'll be starting my work week and will see if MPG goes up!

I attached one, but see more angles and photos in my album:
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=492

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yay! Isn't the sound sweeeet!?!?!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
on mine i cut off the black box on the side and attached a small filter it dosent sound how can i say it as harsh it sounds a little better through out all rpm ranges insted of just sounding good when you punch it... all i did was cut the black box off attach 2 sided 3m tape to filter forced it in the small opening and wiggled it have had it for 6 months no problem love it gives over all better sound that just my opinion tho

·
Registered
71 Posts
i also took off the stock box ecu does not over heat for me but i have since added 2 thick layers of dynamat to help with heat if it does help idk since i never had an issue with it heating up

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the make and model of this? Looks great, how much did this come out to? Yes I can imagine the sound being nice...
I used the Spectre Model 9732 filter. It was $25 at Advance Auto Parts. I didn't have to cut or change anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i will post a pic i also used a Spectre Model 9732 filter but the smal box w/ kia logo and Hyundai logo i took that off ass i thought it myt side track some of the air that is flowing through the piping and added one of those tiny filters instead get me ??

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I used the Spectre Model 9732 filter. It was $25 at Advance Auto Parts. I didn't have to cut or change anything.
Careful I did the same thing with the spectra air filter, notice the hood pushes down on the air filter. Eventually it will fall off, trust me. It doesn't matter how much you tighten it, unless you remove the heat shield the air filter will fall off. When it falls off you will notice a lot of heat coming through your vents. Even though it's nice little mod that makes your car sound nice and gives you a couple horses I'd strongly recommend removing it because when the air filter falls off it will cause damage to your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Careful I did the same thing with the spectra air filter, notice the hood pushes down on the air filter. Eventually it will fall off, trust me. It doesn't matter how much you tighten it, unless you remove the heat shield the air filter will fall off. When it falls off you will notice a lot of heat coming through your vents. Even though it's nice little mod that makes your car sound nice and gives you a couple horses I'd strongly recommend removing it because when the air filter falls off it will cause damage to your engine.
There are people on the forum who have had this from 3-6 months with no such issues. Sounds like there may have been something unique to your install.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Mine doesn't touch the hood at all, and I have the sound suppression layer.
I also have it electrical taped on just in case, and to make sure it makes a very good seal.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll pop the hood in a few days, but I don't think mine is touching either. I'll see if it leaves a dent.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Sucking in hot air from the back of your engine? Aside from the sound I fail to see the benefit. In fact, you're probably hurting your HP.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ok Got say I've had this mod for serval months with no trouble..

at first I did not put the filter on the right way but after alittle adjustment not a problem I check it every so often just to be sure ;)

And yeah the sound is alot of fun

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just readjusted my filter yesterday and it almost seems like it's more responsive than before... Maybe I just didn't have the filter all the way on there the first time? Oh well.
Still an amazing mod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i've had this mod for a couple months now and its sweet. love the sound. but just been thinking of getting rid of the factory tubing and making my own with some spectra tubing whats all yours opinions on that

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I just readjusted my filter yesterday and it almost seems like it's more responsive than before... Maybe I just didn't have the filter all the way on there the first time? Oh well.
Still an amazing mod.
Once you take the stock filter out, and put that cone in, the cone draws some air from the exhaust manifold (hot) and defeats the purpose of the Intake (stock draws air from the front) unless you just like the sound. Your better off with a KN material type filter. If the filter was off the first time, you would have gotten better flow of air. Most likely you just pointed it away from the hot ex mani.

QUOTE FROM TEH INTERNETZ
"However, the term "cold air intake" is often used incorrectly to describe an air filter system with an exposed filter in the engine bay, which actually increases the temperature of the air entering an engine"

i've had this mod for a couple months now and its sweet. love the sound. but just been thinking of getting rid of the factory tubing and making my own with some spectra tubing whats all yours opinions on that
If you decide to make one, i bought mandel bends and pipe from my local hardware store. It was way cheaper. Also if you make a CAI, don't forget to get a bypass valve! I don't want to see you hydrolock an engine.

I just got a filter for my wife. Ill let you know if the TB sound is louder.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Panel-Type-Cotton-Gauze-Air-Filter-K&N_22670100-P_2_R%7CGRPFILTAMS____
Use code p20 at checkout for 20% off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.