Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2014 Forte5 with push start/stop. Been searching the web for Fob issues and most of what I've been able to glean is about the battery to which I replaced in BOTH Fobs. I can't open/lock the car with my fob at al so I have to resort to the physical key. After such time it will only start if my fob is physically touching the button. or it will throw up the message "fob is not in the car".

1. Could this be a car battery issue as it's the original and if my math is correct, it's 63 months old.

2. Or my worse fears is confirmed; it has to do with the sensor in the car? Some literature seems to suggest this is possible and may require a reprogramming but I don't have any flashes done to the car. Anyway it shouldn't start at all if that's the case but it does only requiring a very close proximity to the push button. Both fobs are the same story, and brand new batteries.

I'm so vexed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take the car to your closest auto parts store and ask them to do a load test on the battery. Modern cars are very finicky about voltage changes and can cause all kinds of headaches. If your battery tests borderline, go ahead and replace it. That MAY cure your problems. IF the battery tests okay, I'd remove the cables and clean the posts and cable ends and retry it. A tool to do this is only a few bucks at the parts store. Well worth the investment. Sometimes you can't see the build up, but it's there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update> I had the battery tested and it seems fine. The sales rep at the auto parts shop says it's more than likely a sensor in the car that has gone out as it did with their own family's Elantra and needed replacing. I'm still in limbo as to whether I want to get it replaced by the dealer or some independant shop. It takes away a lot of convenience but in my research it seems there is a built in fail safe in case this happens so you can still start the car.

I'm having to manually open the car doors and use my fob to depress the start button. Not a huge deal to me but only the loss of convenience, like I said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts