Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the drive-in the other night and noticed that when I turn my key to "acc" the display turns on and I can control the radio (ie, change station, mode, volume level) but there's not sound whatsoever coming from the speakers. I'm pretty sure I should be able to actually listen to the radio without turning the key to the next position (which I had to do that night in order to hear the movie). I'm assuming something to do with my aftermarket sound system is the issue but I'm not sure how to go about correcting it.

Should I take it to my dealer and have them check it out? I know that the warranty for the sound system is void. And I'd rather take it to an audio shop but there's none in my city. Ideally, I'd take it to the place I had the work done but it's a 3.5 hour drive away.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was at the drive-in the other night and noticed that when I turn my key to "acc" the display turns on and I can control the radio (ie, change station, mode, volume level) but there's not sound whatsoever coming from the speakers. I'm pretty sure I should be able to actually listen to the radio without turning the key to the next position (which I had to do that night in order to hear the movie). I'm assuming something to do with my aftermarket sound system is the issue but I'm not sure how to go about correcting it.

Should I take it to my dealer and have them check it out? I know that the warranty for the sound system is void. And I'd rather take it to an audio shop but there's none in my city. Ideally, I'd take it to the place I had the work done but it's a 3.5 hour drive away.
Time to fill up the tank!:D You should probably take it to( or call first) the place that hooked it all up for you. See what they say.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D I'll be going that direction sometime in July to get some other work done / visit some friends. I'll have them take a look then.

My main question (which I notice now that I didn't really specify) was, with the key turned to "acc" I should be able to actually listen to the radio/stereo right?

·
Registered
511 Posts
My main question (which I notice now that I didn't really specify) was, with the key turned to "acc" I should be able to actually listen to the radio/stereo right?
With the stock radio you should absolutely be able to listen to the radio. That is about the only real reason to HAVE an accessory position on the switch. Lots of things don't work in ACC - power windows, wipers, heater blower, rear window defroster etc., mostly high power draw things that would tend to quickly drain the battery if you ran them too much without the car running. Which leads me to my best guess (I know nothing about add-on audio equipment) that if the new equipment is indeed wired this way on purpose it is because the power draw is potentially so great that you shouldn't be running it without the engine running.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have your speakers (all of them) wired up to amps? If so.... Did they wire it up so the amps only come on when the key is in the on postion? That's how they wired mine... No bass when in acc mode, audio yes bass no. When turned to on, bass yes...

Just a thought... Test it out if they did that... Put the key to acc then look at your amp to see if light is on, if not try key to on position, then check amp again, if on then that's how they wired it up.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, all of the speakers are powered by the amp. I'm not sure how the rest is wired up. If I can't find any way around this, it's not the end of the world to me. Pretty much the only place I'd need the acc mode is at a drive-in and I go maybe once a year.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

You have a Drive-in still??!!! They closed all of them up around here 18 years ago. I miss them...

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol Yea, it's like 5 minutes from my house too. I used to go all the time! They've got go-karts and mini-golf too! :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, all of the speakers are powered by the amp. I'm not sure how the rest is wired up. If I can't find any way around this, it's not the end of the world to me. Pretty much the only place I'd need the acc mode is at a drive-in and I go maybe once a year.

Did you test it yet to see if the amps only come on when the key is in the on postion?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
here in tampa we have a 4 screen drive in- shows first run movies no less-
and its pretty much located in the center of the city

as far as the ACC problem- i'd say that your installers did the install so that the amps only get power when the engine is running

so just curious- looking at an audio upgrade- what kind of speakers/amp and what specs?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you test it yet to see if the amps only come on when the key is in the on postion?
Not yet, I'll check later tonight.

here in tampa we have a 4 screen drive in- shows first run movies no less-
and its pretty much located in the center of the city

as far as the ACC problem- i'd say that your installers did the install so that the amps only get power when the engine is running

so just curious- looking at an audio upgrade- what kind of speakers/amp and what specs?
Our 1 drive-in has 3 screens and they each show 2 movies back to back.

I've got Kenwood Excelon speakers, JL Audio (10" w0) subs, and an Alpine (PDX-5) amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts