Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a Kia Forte Koup SX soon, and I was browsing used cars in my area, and I came across this;

Used 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX for sale

What do you think would be the smarter purchase, the vehicle listed above or a brand new 2011 model without any of the features that the 2010 listed has (leather, spoiler, sunroof, etc..)

Basically, it comes down to this; is the 2011 model an improvement over the 2010 that I should warrant passing on the used car above and get a new one instead?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I mean if you're in that price range you might as well go for the 2011. I'd be amazed if you couldn't get a 2011 for around that price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
21k miles on it?? 2 grand more and ya get a brand new one! Or get lucky and a get a brand new one for the same price.
2k miles

and I can get a new one, price isn't really an issue. I am just asking whether I should get a fully loaded 2010 or a standard 2011. basically, what is better about the 2011 over the 2010?

2,213 Posts
No, 2 thousand dollars more, and you get a new one. With 0 miles. I paid $16,500 for a brand new 2010 sx with 21 miles on it fully loaded except leather which I didn't want. So idk where he's getting his price. He should throw in the exhaust and everything with that price. And there's really no diffrence unless you get the gps which that's up to you

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Get a NEW one, it's worth it.

PS; as far as i know, most of the warranty doesn't transfer.

oh, and btw, GET A STICK

·
Banned
203 Posts
The warranty doesn't transfer? I thought it did... And agreed , get manual or you'll regret it forever, trust me haha

·
Registered
536 Posts
It should have a warranty but it wouldn't be the full warranty I believe...I would go with a new one....This car is so close to being new that I would prefer to have a brand brand new one. As far as which is better, it depends on you. You say price isn't the issue but it should be. The car looks good but why pay 19K when you can get a new one for the same, maybe cheaper since Kia has some good rebates out there if you take your time and stick to your guns!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get a new one, they have some aggressive pricing with rebates and such. Now it's the end of the month.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Go new. You can get a bunch of extras and keep it under 20k. You just need to put in the haggling time. Also shop online, you can usually avoid most of the haggling that way and get the lower price right away. Check out AAA or Costco's auto buying tools. They'll give you the best deals in the area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to think twice before buying the SX, especially the stick. The aggressive throttle response makes it difficult to drive this car smoothly. As Car & Driver pointed out in the December, 2010 test of a 5 door SX with automatic, driving this car smoothly is STILL difficult. I've driven mine 2K miles, and it still takes conscious effort to make smooth starts. The SX's "sport" suspension and low profile "performance" tires give a harsh, noisy ride especially on poor road surfaces. A trip to the Detroit Auto Show on I-75 north into Detroit (a bad road) was the roughest, most punishing ride I've ever had on this road. I changed the Goodyear Eagle LS 2 tires on mine after 1,200 miles because they were both noisy and WORTHLESS in the snow. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires are quieter, smoother and have good snow traction BUT the ride is still no match for a VW Golf. As for new vs. used, Kia dealers expect lots of haggling, and you should be able to beat the price of the '10 you were looking at. Kia and our dealer have been GR8 about warranty claims on our '06 Sedona, and that's the primary reason I bought the Forte.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just pick two dealers with nearly the same car, and keep going between them and tell them that you have another dealer with a lower price. Keep doing this and you will hit rock bottom. Worked for me :) 10 SX manual at 15,650 :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
You might want to think twice before buying the SX, especially the stick. The aggressive throttle response makes it difficult to drive this car smoothly. As Car & Driver pointed out in the December, 2010 test of a 5 door SX with automatic, driving this car smoothly is STILL difficult. I've driven mine 2K miles, and it still takes conscious effort to make smooth starts. The SX's "sport" suspension and low profile "performance" tires give a harsh, noisy ride especially on poor road surfaces. A trip to the Detroit Auto Show on I-75 north into Detroit (a bad road) was the roughest, most punishing ride I've ever had on this road. I changed the Goodyear Eagle LS 2 tires on mine after 1,200 miles because they were both noisy and WORTHLESS in the snow. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires are quieter, smoother and have good snow traction BUT the ride is still no match for a VW Golf.
The auto is adaptive as are most newer tranny's. I wouldn't validate a review until it had some miles.

And-sheesh-don't get the sx if you don't want a harder ride. That's the sacrifice in all sport suspensions. You give up some comfort for the tighter handling (unless you have adjustable coilovers).

The Eagle LS-2 tires do not have great ratings. Not many oem tires do. Thanks for the opinion on the conti's- will definitely consider those when the time comes. In regards to your ride, maybe you should have got an EX.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The auto is adaptive as are most newer tranny's. I wouldn't validate a review until it had some miles.

And-sheesh-don't get the sx if you don't want a harder ride. That's the sacrifice in all sport suspensions. You give up some comfort for the tighter handling (unless you have adjustable coilovers).

The Eagle LS-2 tires do not have great ratings. Not many oem tires do. Thanks for the opinion on the conti's- will definitely consider those when the time comes. In regards to your ride, maybe you should have got an EX.
100% agree with you AZMX5. No flame meant tjonrsx, but if you're looking for a smooth ride, you should be looking at a Toyota product or something without sport suspension. I love how tight the suspension, steering, and handling is on this car for the price I paid. It's certainly not high end, but good for some amateur cornering and play when necessary! I think that people in the market for this car probably shouldn't be looking for the comfort factor in this segment. I would say that the auto's actually take away some of the "fun" that the car has to offer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I should preface my comments-here in Arizona we have little issue with crumbling roadways like the Midwest. Our roads here are smooth and pothole-free. Having lived in the Midwest I don't know if I would have made the same purchase, possibly opting for something more forgiving. I definitely would be more worried about the SX 17" wheel and tire combo. One nasty drop into a Chicago pothole and you may be looking at replacing the whole thing. Regardless, I would have a set of winter wheels and tires for the winter no matter what car I drove.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm in the midwest and can confirm the sport suspension is no match for our crumbling road infrastructure. I find myself avoiding whole roadways just to save my Koup the trouble. I knew what I was getting into though, so you won't hear me complain.

However there's a reason most folks here drive SUV's and big cushy American sedans...it's the only way to get "comfort" on these roads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts