Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I won't be doing HID highs, unless it's a quad bi-xenon, i want to replace my high beams with something to match my low HID. Has anyone found a suitable halogen replacement for the highs that match in color?

I have the 35W DDM tuning 6000K Raptor Kit installed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Why does the high beam need to match the HID? Nobody will ever see the two lit up together to see they don't match.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why does the high beam need to match the HID? Nobody will ever see the two lit up together to see they don't match.
If i'm not mistaken, the lows stay on, when the highs are.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you really want to get Dual Highs.
No, was just throwing that out there. I know it is normally considered a bad idea to do highs in HID and I don't currently have projectors, so I still need a viable Highbeam, not LEDS.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, the lows stay on, when the highs are.

Right, who is going to see it though? Do you drive around with your high beams on? You won't have them on when people are travelling toward you and how often do you even use them? Seems silly to worry about matching highs to low when nobody is ever going to see it. Not even you.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are stretches of road where I do run with my high beams on, and I can see the different patch of light, that is a different color. Not a big deal if no one else has done it, I may go trial and error. I was NOT happy with autolumination.com though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe I'm just not understanding. You are looking to spend money on a light bulb that works just fine now and replacing it may mean losing light output just because you see patchy light on the rare occasion you use the high beams? To me it just doesn't make sense. You will NEVER find a halogen bulb that comes close to matching a HID bulb. Usually you look for something like this to cosmetically change the look of you vehicle to make it look better to others (ie switchbacks, HID, etc). To each their own though.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
get ddm HIDS. yeah hids in highs are bad, but as long as you don't flash it too much you'll be good. worst case, just claim a warranty on the bad ballast

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so let's swap the question to fogs, which are very commonly going to be on with my HID lows.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Ok, so let's swap the question to fogs, which are very commonly going to be on with my HID lows.
HID fogs are amazing, but you blind the fuck out of other drivers. I definetly recommend it for looks and functionality. (PS: if you keep you highs halogen, your fogs are gonna be brighter than them.)

you have to get a harness for your foggies. (PS: from experience, ddm bulbs look a bit bluer than the lows. for example my 5000K look like 5500-6000k)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm wanting to replace the fogs with a Halogen that is a closer color to my HID. I do not intend to change them to HID.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm really looking for someone who has done it. I bought 6000k 27W bulbs from autolumination.com and they don't even come close to matching. Don't want to keep doing trial and error.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
how about you give up most of the function of your fogs, and put strong leds bulbs in there, then wire it to be on as DRLs. you'll get the color and the look

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about you give up most of the function of your fogs, and put strong leds bulbs in there, then wire it to be on as DRLs. you'll get the color and the look
Thought about that, and DDM tuning JUST came out with fog lamp LEDs. I just asked and they don't have 881, but should in a few days.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bulbs from?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Or just do what I did and completely go off color. :p

I went yellow film on fogs and it looks sexy as hell w/ HID imo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts