Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2011 Forte 5-door SX last night and this is my first bluetoothy vehicle, so bear with me.

I have an Android phone and was able to pair it with no problems. My address book is showing and I'm able to stream both .mp3's and Pandora.

The thing is, I can't figure out why my other apps (drivesafe.ly and Vlingo) are not picking up my voice - not through the voice command thing and not through the phone mic either.

Any ideas?

Also, what "mode" do I need to be in to place a phone call? I say "Call Sabrina" and it says something about me being in the wrong "mode" for that command... but I've done it from every mode, including phone.

Thanks in advance,
Lemon

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't have any experience with the system in the 2011, but I do have a droid. I think there is a driving mode for the phone, perhaps that's what you need to put it in? With the 2010 you just need to sync them and you're good to go. The apps you're trying to use may not be compatible with the bluetooth system. Try uninstalling them and seeing if you have problems making a call. As far as the mic not picking up, I believe when you have it hooked up to bluetooth, the mic on the phone doesn't pick up anything until you disconnect it from the bluetooth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. "I believe when you have it hooked up to bluetooth, the mic on the phone doesn't pick up anything until you disconnect it from the bluetooth." - that explains it.

I'll search my Epic 4G for a driving mode and see what I can find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What "mode" do I need to be in to place a phone call? I say "Call Sabrina" and it says something about me being in the wrong "mode" for that command... still can't figure this one out.

The only way I've been able to successfully dial is to say "phone help" then about 4 other commands one at a time... takes forever, I know there's got to be an easier way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I went back to the dealer and sales guy said I have to take the long route (something like (say command) "dial by name" (say name) "Sabrina" (say line number) "Line 2" (calling...)) - what a pain in the booty. He said this is because I have nav, and the bluetooth without nav takes simpler commands. :-(

Is this true???

·
Registered
29 Posts
here is how my bluetooth works in a 2010 koup
step 1. push the talk button on the steering wheel
car: please say command
me: dial (sometimes, dial by name/number, but doesnt always work)
car: please say, by name or by number
me: by name
car:name please
me: anna
car:ppardon
me: :confused: anna
me::mad:ANNA
car:cancel
me: profanities

ok... so that didnt work, try it a different way
me: step 1
me: dial
me: by number
car: number please
me: (numbers)
car: repeats totally different numbers (most of the time) on occasion when it does get the numbers right it will continue with; add more numbers, say dial or cancel.
me: dial (by this time i am usually pulling up to the house and may as well hang up and ring the doorbell and hope the responce won't be: please say a command) lol

but when i don't want to go through all that hassle and frustration i use the Vlingo app on my android phone, which includes me turning on the app and speaking. so far has worked 98% of the time

hope this helps

Dima

·
Registered
123 Posts
here is how my bluetooth works in a 2010 koup
step 1. push the talk button on the steering wheel
me: dial (sometimes, dial by name/number, but doesnt always work)
me: by name
car:name please
me: anna
me: :confused: anna
me::mad:ANNA
car:cancel
me: profanities

etc etc etc
It seems like your contact list isn't downloading to your head unit, I know I had to grant the unit permission to get my contacts (the droid itself gave me a prompt). If i didn't give it permission, it did just what you said.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the phonebook downloads just fine with my new phone.
i had even a bigger problem when i had my crackberry.

i gave up on it. i find it easier to turn on Vlingo and go from there

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had an HTC eris and it paired and worked wonderfully, but when I switched to a Motorola Droid 2, I had to call people manually. It would still connect to the radio, but my phonebook never worked right.

Eventually, I figured out how to get it to work, but I don't remember all of the details. I never use the feature anymore, anyway. I will, however, take a look tomorrow and see if anything comes back to me.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get mp3's and pandora to play through bluetooth?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i can't help you with that question as i don't play music off my phone. it's usually sat. radio, or i bought a 32gb card to play any of my mp3s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts