Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried a door light delay mod that works as follows:

Once you pull the key out of the ignition for the door lights to turn on automatically for approx 10 secs prior to opening the door. My old Lincoln had that feature.

Or if anyone can provide an idea or a way to do it. It helps when grabbing the items like cell phone, cd's, wallet etc.

Yes I know I can turn on the door lights manually but I sometimes bloody forget to turn them off LMAO.

With age comes alzheimers.

Peace

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
My door lights come on automatically when my door is opened if thats what you meant by manual.

and someone talked about that before and that you had to buy a type of "delay circuit or something"

links would be great if anyone finds them

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
From my knowledge a few people are looking into this...I myself have been researching it on a few other forums...it is something I would like as well. Hope to have something in a month or so....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
I was just thinking about this and, The light around the igniton lights up for xxx amount of time then goes out.. Right?!?!?

The reason I ask is because that would mean there is already a delay timer in are car you'd just have to rewire the other lights too that timer relay
Correct me if I'm wrong on this

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
^^^
I was just thinking about this and, The light around the igniton lights up for xxx amount of time then goes out.. Right?!?!?

The reason I ask is because that would mean there is already a delay timer in are car you'd just have to rewire the other lights too that timer relay
Correct me if I'm wrong on this
Excellent point, never thought of that

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks noodile I try.. :)
I'm going to have too look into this more cause I'd like all the inside lights to work on the timer too, my old eclipse had that and I loved it! was set to come on for about 30secs or so and then slowly dim out.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I found a circuit layout for a delay and fade out...but the ring light is a good idea as well....I am hoping the circuit board I found could be an easier install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rainy,

Thanks now to figure out how. Most probably wire the door lights in parallel with ignition light indicator while keeping the door lights in series. This way the voltage stays constant across. Also if the light indicator on the ignition lights goes out and I still want to use the dome lights I would be able to.

Now to go to Kiatech info to see how to access the wires governing that key ignition lighting circuit!

Joo Rox!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Here is the wiring pin out for the Ignition Switch

·
Registered
289 Posts
my Viper alarm has an illuminated exit and entry. It does exactly what you are saying and turns on when i approach the car and disarm. When i arm it turns lights off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LittleJake, what Viper alarm model if you don't mind me asking? And can you tell me any extras that you may have gotten also if you please. The reason I ask is I was going to get an alarm and if it does what you describe then I might as well just do it now instead of later.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
NewForte: just about all Viper alarms do this..I was just on their website...it is called Domelight Supervision...Systems that have it are 5202V, 5702V, 5902V...just to start. Those are two way systems...but even the one way systems have it standard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kewl beans, FTF! I appreciate the info. Googled their website and I think I may be going shopping tomorrow!

Peace!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here is the wiring pin out for the Ignition Switch
Hey thanks for this, I might have to play around when the weather gets better, its snowing now :(
but your were saying something about a timer/dim out relay.. what did that cost? as you said that might be easier.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There are a few you can buy available on the web for around $20-$35, but I found a schematic that will also turn on the courtesy lights on lock and unlock. I am looking to build this module if I can. Just need to get the parts so not sure of cost yet.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have found several light delay circuits on the internet that will slowly dim the lights in the car after 10 to 30 seconds. Personally, I would like the lights to turn on when I unlock the car with the fob. Then, either turn off after 20 seconds or so, or when I start the car. It would also be nice to have them turn on, when I turn off the car. My BMW had this feature and it's really nice. I'm surprised the Kia doesn't have it, especially with the ignition light feature. Why not turn on the dome lights instead of the just the ignition?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^I have found a circuit design to do this. Currently sourcing parts to construct it. Want to see how much I can make it for. Maybe build a few of them for people at a reasonable price??? ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Please
Count me in your build numbers Fox ;)
And thank you thank you

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hey Rainyraven, I will count you in as the first in-line...I also have a few other tricks I am going to try to incorporate like adding a LED to the door handle (prototype already complete), just need to work on wiring now. Once I get the circuit box built.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^ Thanks Fox :)
ooooh door handle led.. clever Fox you are ;)

OOooh I like that looks great, Good Job Fox
I'm looking forward to when this project is finshed and one of them is on my koup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.