Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my red K badges a few days ago and at the same time would like to remove the my "KIA" AND "FORTE" emblems....First question is, is it a 3M sticky tape type of adhesive they use to glue them to the paint? Second, since it's cold here in Ohio ATM, will warming the area with a blow dryer to soften the material be okay? Third, If it is okay to do this in the cold, will there be a distinguishable mark left from emblems that I will have to clean off and if so what would you recommend that isn't abrasive to do that....

I am sure I will get the "SEARCH IT" reply, but I worked 12 hours today, and took me almost 2 hours to get there in the snowstorm that rolled through last night...Luckily it only took me my avg 1 hour on the way home but still very tired. I would appreciate any advice so I can hit the sack...

...Thanks guy/gals....

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Ordered my red K badges a few days ago and at the same time would like to remove the my "KIA" AND "FORTE" emblems....First question is, is it a 3M sticky tape type of adhesive they use to glue them to the paint? Second, since it's cold here in Ohio ATM, will warming the area with a blow dryer to soften the material be okay? Third, If it is okay to do this in the cold, will there be a distinguishable mark left from emblems that I will have to clean off and if so what would you recommend that isn't abrasive to do that....

I am sure I will get the "SEARCH IT" reply, but I worked 12 hours today, and took me almost 2 hours to get there in the snowstorm that rolled through last night...Luckily it only took me my avg 1 hour on the way home but still very tired. I would appreciate any advice so I can hit the sack...

...Thanks guy/gals....
Personally I wouldn't do it in the cold as the plastic is brittle so the Forte badge might snap. The foam tape is also brittle so it might come off in chunks. I didnt use any dryer when I did mine. I left the car in the sun and just peeled it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did mine when it was below freezing, had no trouble whatsoever and my old badges are all still in perfect shape.

2,213 Posts
Heat it up with a hairdryer....then take fishing line, wrap it around your hands like dental floss, and just work it underneath the badge and saw away. Then warm soap and water will wash the old adhesive off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did mine when it was below freezing, had no trouble whatsoever and my old badges are all still in perfect shape.
me too I did both front and back, outside in -20 weather. I used a good heat gun and the glue came off in no time. I used a plastic putty scraper to remove the extra glue but i heated it up good. Then i had the new badges warm in the car and after heating up the metal I very quickly applied the new badge. Worked great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did mine in about 30 degree weather. I made the mistake of using cheap dental floss... use fishing line, much stronger. I was able to remove the adhesive in chunks at first then goo gone without heating it up at all much. Was fairly easy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice....My badges came in today...will try it out Monday and post pics if I succeed!

***EDIT***EDIT***

Well I finally debadged the front grille and trunk of the old boring KIA's...I pretty much followed (K)illed's idea and used fishing line and a hairdryer. Even in the cold 90% of the adhesive came off and I used a lil GOO GONE to get rid of the rest. Looks a million times better. Oh took off the KIA & EX emblems too. Now if I can just get those Motegi MR116's ordered! A little warmer weather would help too!

Kia steering wheel badge should be here end of the week....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts