Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my red K badges a few days ago and at the same time would like to remove the my "KIA" AND "FORTE" emblems....First question is, is it a 3M sticky tape type of adhesive they use to glue them to the paint? Second, since it's cold here in Ohio ATM, will warming the area with a blow dryer to soften the material be okay? Third, If it is okay to do this in the cold, will there be a distinguishable mark left from emblems that I will have to clean off and if so what would you recommend that isn't abrasive to do that....

I am sure I will get the "SEARCH IT" reply, but I worked 12 hours today, and took me almost 2 hours to get there in the snowstorm that rolled through last night...Luckily it only took me my avg 1 hour on the way home but still very tired. I would appreciate any advice so I can hit the sack...

...Thanks guy/gals....

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Ordered my red K badges a few days ago and at the same time would like to remove the my "KIA" AND "FORTE" emblems....First question is, is it a 3M sticky tape type of adhesive they use to glue them to the paint? Second, since it's cold here in Ohio ATM, will warming the area with a blow dryer to soften the material be okay? Third, If it is okay to do this in the cold, will there be a distinguishable mark left from emblems that I will have to clean off and if so what would you recommend that isn't abrasive to do that....

I am sure I will get the "SEARCH IT" reply, but I worked 12 hours today, and took me almost 2 hours to get there in the snowstorm that rolled through last night...Luckily it only took me my avg 1 hour on the way home but still very tired. I would appreciate any advice so I can hit the sack...

...Thanks guy/gals....
Personally I wouldn't do it in the cold as the plastic is brittle so the Forte badge might snap. The foam tape is also brittle so it might come off in chunks. I didnt use any dryer when I did mine. I left the car in the sun and just peeled it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did mine when it was below freezing, had no trouble whatsoever and my old badges are all still in perfect shape.
me too I did both front and back, outside in -20 weather. I used a good heat gun and the glue came off in no time. I used a plastic putty scraper to remove the extra glue but i heated it up good. Then i had the new badges warm in the car and after heating up the metal I very quickly applied the new badge. Worked great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did mine in about 30 degree weather. I made the mistake of using cheap dental floss... use fishing line, much stronger. I was able to remove the adhesive in chunks at first then goo gone without heating it up at all much. Was fairly easy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice....My badges came in today...will try it out Monday and post pics if I succeed!

***EDIT***EDIT***

Well I finally debadged the front grille and trunk of the old boring KIA's...I pretty much followed (K)illed's idea and used fishing line and a hairdryer. Even in the cold 90% of the adhesive came off and I used a lil GOO GONE to get rid of the rest. Looks a million times better. Oh took off the KIA & EX emblems too. Now if I can just get those Motegi MR116's ordered! A little warmer weather would help too!

Kia steering wheel badge should be here end of the week....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.