Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
aaConsidering EX with fuel economy package or a Corolla XLE with JBL stereo upgrade.

Questions about Forte:

How is the EX stereo? I'm disappointed that there is no optional stereo upgrade with more power and a factory sub like the Soul. (I like the Soul looks and cargo space, but it's so noisy and only has the 4 speed auto.)
I would consider buying a Soul with a fuel economy package and sound insulation if such a thing existed.
I know the Corolla XLE has a 4 speed auto also, but it still gets great mpg and is quiet even with that setup.

I'm also concerned about the Forte not having a telescoping steering wheel unless you get the SX. I would need to drive the car for a few hours before being sure I would be comfortable with the driving position. Are the Kia Fortes available as daily rentals at any US car rental chains?
I assume rentals would be LXs, but if I find a LX decent, I'm sure I'd like the EX.

I notice factory gps navigation and outside temperature display are missing features along with the stereo upgrade non-availability.
Is the factory stereo upgrade package coming before the 2011s?

Has anyone found an easy way to quickly and easily mount and unmount a portable GPS other than sticking it on the windshield or dashboard?

Does the EX have automatic locking doors and ambient light-sensing auto on and auto off headlights?

Have you noticed any squeaks and rattles?

If you bought the car last summer and live someplace with hot weather, did the A/C in your Forte keep you cool when the outside temperature was over 100 degrees?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an EX with fuel economy package.
The stereo, excellent base response. AM/FM reception is average they forgot that HD and RDS have existed for several years now. CD playback is excellent. Sirius reception sounds too much like 64 bit, I probably won't continue. iPod sound is excellent with well thought out controls, no goofy "lists" required.
I'm 6', I need to use the tilt to get in and out comfortably. Driving position is comfortable.
I use portable GPS on windshield.
Doors autolock when placed in gear. Leave the lights on, turn off key, they go out.
Not driven in warm weather yet, heater works well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have an EX with fuel economy package.
The stereo, excellent base response. AM/FM reception is average they forgot that HD and RDS have existed for several years now. CD playback is excellent. Sirius reception sounds too much like 64 bit, I probably won't continue. iPod sound is excellent with well thought out controls, no goofy "lists" required.
I'm 6', I need to use the tilt to get in and out comfortably. Driving position is comfortable.
I use portable GPS on windshield.
Doors autolock when placed in gear. Leave the lights on, turn off key, they go out.
Not driven in warm weather yet, heater works well.
Oh, I can't belive no RDS! I didn't even ask about that because it was assumed.
So, no fully automatic headlights setting available that turn on lights automatically at night and when you drive into dark tunnels and then turn them off automatically in bright sunlight? Too bad, Corolla has that. I'd prefer to not have to drive with the headlights constantly on (and mess with changing instrument panel backlighting between day and night) or have to remember to turn the lights on manually at sunset.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The lights are on or off, my other new cars have DRLs. Leave them on and it's like DRL. I just leave them on, it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. The dash is lit all the time, whether lights are on or off. There is a pot to adjust brightness, I turn it up in the day to better read the radio and down at night for less glare. The radio adjusts volume with speed. I paid around $16k after cash back, etc. Comparable equiped Corolla is around $21k, I like the Corolla, have owned 4. KIA was a better value for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The lights are on or off, my other new cars have DRLs. Leave them on and it's like DRL. I just leave them on, it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. The dash is lit all the time, whether lights are on or off. There is a pot to adjust brightness, I turn it up in the day to better read the radio and down at night for less glare. The radio adjusts volume with speed. I paid around $16k after cash back, etc. Comparable equiped Corolla is around $21k, I like the Corolla, have owned 4. KIA was a better value for me.
The lights aren't a deal killer, but it's annoying especially since "automatic headlights" comes up as a feature when your search the web for info on the Forte and a mass-produced ambient light sensor doesn't cost much in 2009 (79 cents?). Their definition of automatic only means the lights turn off with the ignition when you have the lights in the ON position. Not really automatic, just auto-off.

I'm also a bit concerned that leaving the headlights on all the time will wipe out some of the benefits of the fuel economy package's special high efficiency alternator that is supposed to turn off automatically when not needed. The headlights may make the alernator run constantly and cut that mpg savings.

The Corolla doesn't sell for full MSRP and there is cash back on it also, but the Forte is still cheaper initially. The question is whether the reduced resale value will wipe out all of your initial savings when you are ready to move to the next car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty with free loaner if repairs take more than 1 day and they take you to work and pick you up when you car is in the shop. Your Toyota resale value won't do so well after the fallout from the unintended acceleration come down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty with free loaner if repairs take more than 1 day and they take you to work and pick you up when you car is in the shop. Your Toyota resale value won't do so well after the fallout from the unintended acceleration come down.
That's powertrain warranty, not bumper to bumper.
I think the acceleration problem is for Camrys and they have a recall and a fix anyway. In 5 years at resale time, the issue would be forgotten about and even if not, it won't be an issue anymore since it was fixed.
Kias and Hyundais and even cars like Chryslers and Pontiacs have a history of low resale value and this will cause depreciation to be a much bigger cost in th elong run than it will be on a Corolla.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, it is a bumper-to-bumper warranty, not just the standard KIA power train warranty, paid a bit extra for it.
It's you money, buy what you like. I don't buy cars for their resale value, I buy them because I like them. Live for now, not some future which may never arrive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll end up test driving both especially if I can find a rental place that has the Forte so i can drive it at least 100 miles over a few hours instead of a 5 minute test drive at the dealer.
If I really prefer one much more over the other after driving both, I'll pick that one and just enjoy it and deal with resale later. If they are close and I am coin toss level of opinion on both, the Corolla will probably be the safer choice. I "plan" to keep either car for 5 to 10 years, but if I get the Corolla, I can always resell it and get much more of my money back towards buying a different car even if I change my mind in 2 years and also if I have 100K miles on 7 years since there is also still a good resale market for higher mileage Corollas and Civic etc. whereas many people consider many other cars as disposable and worthless value after 100K miles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
to Jax

$500 more maybe ,but compareing toyota corolla 5 years ago with toyota corolla now ,and kia at the same period,corolla didn't change to much...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the Corolla is not perfect or I wouldn't need to shop other cars. I have to decide which problems of each car are easiest to live with.
Right now, besides resale, I'm mostly concerned about owners that have complained that the A/C in the Forte is weak. That would be fine if I lived in Seattle or even on the San Diego coastline, but where I drive and park for work, 100 degree summer afternoon temperatures are normal and a heat wave would be 110, so I don't want an A/C that's already struggling when it's 95 degrees.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, the Corolla is not perfect or I wouldn't need to shop other cars. I have to decide which problems of each car are easiest to live with.
Right now, besides resale, I'm mostly concerned about owners that have complained that the A/C in the Forte is weak. That would be fine if I lived in Seattle or even on the San Diego coastline, but where I drive and park for work, 100 degree summer afternoon temperatures are normal and a heat wave would be 110, so I don't want an A/C that's already struggling when it's 95 degrees.
Do your self a favor and drive both cars, then make your decision. Gonna take somebody elses word (probably salesman) or see for yourself?:confused: Then if you decide to get a toyota. Then go to corolla forums and complain there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can't test the a/c in December or January, so I will have to hear from more owners who had the Forte last summer or else I will need to wait until next summer to see for myself.
Consumer Reports needs to start adding A/C performance to their ratings. They could heat the test cars' interiors to 120 degrees in a climate controlled room and see how many degrees the a/c can drop the cabin temp within 15 minutes with the settings on MAX cooling.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't test the a/c in December or January, so I will have to hear from more owners who had the Forte last summer or else I will need to wait until next summer to see for myself.
Consumer Reports needs to start adding A/C performance to their ratings. They could heat the test cars' interiors to 120 degrees in a climate controlled room and see how many degrees the a/c can drop the cabin temp within 15 minutes with the settings on MAX cooling.
go to miami for christmas ,sure they have both of them there:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
get a Kia to test, turn on A/C max recirculate, insert thermal probe (meat thermometer) into dash, temperature should be around 55F

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My EX in Canada comes with telescopic also. Wasn't an option it just comes with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts