Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the story,

I am considering buying a muffler from a friend who never installed it on his 2006 Tiburon. Its a Mussa brand muffler for all those who are familiar with them.

He also showed me a legit shop that can make me bent aluminum catback exhaust for around 200 dollars. The shop has a dyno, 9000 sq feet, and is pretty well know. My question is... would you guys buy? Whats the difference in this exhaust setup versus the other guy? Is there a special exhaust must be made for the forte?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
So heres the story,

I am considering buying a muffler from a friend who never installed it on his 2006 Tiburon. Its a Mussa brand muffler for all those who are familiar with them.

He also showed me a legit shop that can make me bent aluminum catback exhaust for around 200 dollars. The shop has a dyno, 9000 sq feet, and is pretty well know. My question is... would you guys buy? Whats the difference in this exhaust setup versus the other guy? Is there a special exhaust must be made for the forte?
For $200 I bet it's not mandrel bent. Mandel bent is important as it keeps the Inner diameter of the pipe the same even in bends. At the end of the day you wanted a cat back for more flow. Better flow = more power and it's achieved by bigger diameter pipes.

If it's mandrel bent I'd go with the shop.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For $200 I bet it's not mandrel bent. Mandel bent is important as it keeps the Inner diameter of the pipe the same even in bends. At the end of the day you wanted a cat back for more flow. Better flow = more power and it's achieved by bigger diameter pipes.

If it's mandrel bent I'd go with the shop.
What diameter piping is best? 3.5? 4?

·
Registered
973 Posts
What diameter piping is best? 3.5? 4?
2.25" to 2.5"

and the mandrel bending has been proven to show VERY SLIGHT gains over crush bending
same car same day same size pipe same muffler, a set of runs with mandrel bent midpipe and a set with crush bent
the graph just kind of bounced around, where 1 was up 1 hp the other would be down 1 and vice versa, so the improvements are pretty much zilch in the performance area
with a mandrel bent set though, you can pretty much guarantee it's fully flanged, because most shops aren't setting up mandrel bent exhaust systems for any customer and welding them on, most flanged kits ARE mandrel bent though
with a flanged kit, the welds wont rust (because there aren't any welds lol) but you do have to run the VERY slight chance of blowing one of the gaskets between the flanges
they look better ALWAYS than any welded system
and thats really the only difference
if you have the money I would recommend going with a flanged kit just because of the looks and the fact it was engineered for your car, someone put their money and time into it for your community
I've got a welded kit on now, but thats only until the car is turbo, then I'm going full flanged mandrel bent 3" because I'm going to be pushing the boost and running lower comp pistons, about to join gencoupeforums to find out what those people have been getting away with in their cars since we share al lthe internals except the pistons (they have 9ish:1 cr)=]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts