Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I know a lot of people have been wondering if the Racechip actually works or does anything at all. I hope this thread can shed some light on that. I don't have dyno results at this time and I may never have that but I have done a bit of testing with 40-60mph pulls using the Torque Pro App. So here is my setup and results.

SetupNotes
Timed via:Torque Pro App
Boost via:Depo Racing WA5201LED via Manifold port.Can't use Boost from ECU via OBD2 as this is being altered by the Racechip.
Gear:3rd
Start Speed:35mphTo give time to build full boost
Fuel Type:93 octane
Fuel Level:80%
Driver weight:200lbs
Cargo weight:28.5lbsDiono 3R carseat, it's a heavy one.
Road Grade:Flat pavement (no hill)
Wind:Very low to zero
Drive Mode:Sport, Traction control off
Intake Mod:SXTH Short Ram W/O BPV
Spark Plugs:Stock

StockRacechip Level 7
Peak Boost15-1822-24psi
40-60 Best2.992.49seconds
40-60 Worst3.482.73seconds
40-60 Avg3.202.60seconds

General Notes:
- When switching between off or on for the racechip you have to do a few pulls to get the boost to be more consistent and I believe for the ECU to get the timing to be more consistent as well.
- The only thing the Racechip is doing is interrupting the Boost Signal for the Boost Solenoid and the MAP.
- Sometimes Boost will surge (up and down) which can be felt in the butt dyno. The best times had none of that just a nice flat boost level/feel.
- There was no wheel spin at anytime in 3rd gear.

I got my Racechip GTS on sale for $449.00 including the App control. They had a sale for $100 off.

So basically the Racechip GTS pushes peak boost from about 17 psi stock to 23 psi, which is a approximately 6 psi increase which is definitely able to be felt by the driver. I'd say if it's not +48hp/+85 lb-ft of torque then it's damn close. You can remove it at anytime in about 2 mins including the time to pop the hood. If you're looking for a bit more power but don't want a huge hassle with tuning, in my opinion this is a good option.

If anyone does get actual dyno results or real world time data like this please do share. No need to clog up the thread with any other crap like my XXX is better cause blah blah, without any data.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's always this video showing dyno results

·
Registered
103 Posts
This one is nice too, BJ4 pushing 6psi over stock

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I know a lot of people have been wondering if the Racechip actually works or does anything at all. I hope this thread can shed some light on that.
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for something like this!

Any chance you could repeat this but instead of 40-60mph, do 20-70? I ask for 3 reasons:
1. The GT in stock form makes full boost from just 1500rpm, which equates to ~17mph in 3rd gear. So capturing the bottom half of the boost range would be nice. Likewise there's a little more top end left and it would be nice capturing this. FYI 40-60mph = ~3500-5300rpm whilst 20-70mph = ~1800-6200rpm.
2. Racechip tends to add max additional boost early in the torque plateau and then gradually reduce the extra psi towards redline, so the gains from 20-40 are likely to be larger relatively speaking, whilst those from 60-70 are likely to be smaller. Capturing the whole range would be representative of the overall change.
3. By doing a longer duration pull the error margin in the timing will become less significant. For example instead of the delta between your best runs being 0.50s, it'll become >1s.

I'd also be super keen on timing 0-60 in auto-mode with commentary regarding traction.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for something like this!

Any chance you could repeat this but instead of 40-60mph, do 20-70?
The Torque pro app doesn't allow custom speeds as you are requesting so, no I can not. I suppose I could data log each run but that would make time into this far more than I am willing to do. I chose the 40-60 as it was the best option that didn't involve the possibility of spinning tires, and wasn't breaking the law. This kept it consistent and legal. Also I have the manual trans so I wanted to avoid shifting gears adding more variability.

My goal was to prove to myself that it is in fact faster and not all in my head. And of course share with others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response. Makes sense why you did what you did then.

Agreed regarding that video. They claim an increase of torque of 51% yet absolute manifold pressure is only increasing by ~6psi or 19% (31.5psi stock vs 37.5psi with piggy-back). Given manifold pressure is the only thing which is affected by this solution, it's simply not physically possible to get anywhere near the gains which they're claiming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excellent thread. It seems like these piggybacks are gaining more and more traction.

I installed a Racechip S on my 2015 a few months ago. Being a 2015 there are some differences but overall the experience should be quite similar. I've been wanting to do some 0-60's but just haven't gotten around to it. Like previously stated, it takes a bit to for the ecu to adjust between modes so I haven't thought of a good way to do a good comparison without driving around for a bit between pulls.
Also, I have been leaving mine on mode 2. Boost holds at about 20 psi which is great. Might just be an issue with earlier years but on mode 3 I was getting boost spikes higher than I was comfortable with

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the response. Makes sense why you did what you did then.

Agreed regarding that video. They claim an increase of torque of 51% yet absolute manifold pressure is only increasing by ~6psi or 19% (31.5psi stock vs 37.5psi with piggy-back). Given manifold pressure is the only thing which is affected by this solution, it's simply not physically possible to get anywhere near the gains which they're claiming.
They never said 6psi in the original video.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT
3 Posts
What fuel & map are you running... and do you have any bolt ons?
91 octane, hks m45xl spark plugs, 5w40 oil, k&n air filter, occ, jb4 on map2, federal rs-rr tires. The Intercooler on these cars suck so that's probably my next mod.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone have any experience in the racechip S? I would get the GTS but I need this car to be as reliable as possible...32 hp 56 lb-ft gain seem pretty solid, imo, for such a light car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excellent thread. It seems like these piggybacks are gaining more and more traction.

I installed a Racechip S on my 2015 a few months ago. Being a 2015 there are some differences but overall the experience should be quite similar. I've been wanting to do some 0-60's but just haven't gotten around to it. Like previously stated, it takes a bit to for the ecu to adjust between modes so I haven't thought of a good way to do a good comparison without driving around for a bit between pulls.
Also, I have been leaving mine on mode 2. Boost holds at about 20 psi which is great. Might just be an issue with earlier years but on mode 3 I was getting boost spikes higher than I was comfortable with
ha! you have the S racechip...how do you like it so far?
I will be getting a dragy once more probably around Feb to run some base stock runs with the GT...Im still not sure If I want to add the chip. Wanna get some input first...
Have you noticed any differences?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT
3 Posts
Does anyone have any experience in the racechip S? I would get the GTS but I need this car to be as reliable as possible...32 hp 56 lb-ft gain seem pretty solid, imo, for such a light car.
Check out panda motorworks for dyno figures but I don't know how reliable it is

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out panda motorworks for dyno figures but I don't know how reliable it is
I had watched that video before I bought my GT2. They review the GTS which is the top one with the most gains.

There's a guy on youtube w/ the manual GT and the S chip but he hasnt posted any follow ups yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts