Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have bought a Forte EX sedan and picked it up this past monday. It has a build date of 01/10. Everything works great and there are no rattles to speak of up until now. There is an annoying thing though, sometimes when I turn off the car and come back to start it up later the radio will be off. I can turn it on but it lost all of its settings (radio presets, EQ settings) except for the Bluetooth settings.

It can go on overnight without losing its settings but sometimes if I leave the car parked only for 5 minutes and come back the settings will be gone. So it is not something that happens all the time.

Has anyone faced the same problem with their Forte? Let me know what you think. I will be calling up the dealer to have them look it up unless it is something stupid I am overlooking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This usually happens when you go to the dealer and they do a software update. If it happens on its own then you may have bigger issues. Did you notice this after a dealership visit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, brand new car picked up last monday. It did it on my first ride in the car. While driving back from the dealership I set my favorite radio stations as presets. Then I stopped at my wife's work so she could see the car. I stopped the car for maybe 2 minutes just to go inside to get my wife and when I came back out the presets were gone.

I did not think anything of it then. I put my presets back in and they stayed there for 3-4 rides in the car. Then the next day, after stopping the car they were gone again.

Why would a software update do that?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It seems like maybe the battery terminals are loose... go to dealer... this isn't right.

A software update does that because the first thing it does is it whipes the previous software version and all its settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the loose battery terminals too but the clock does not get reset so it is obviously a problem with only the headunit not getting power.

I will calling the dealership right away to have it looked at. Thank you all for trying to help. I will report back with the solution once I get it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. I have an EX Sedan and had a USB stick installed with a few podcasts on it. When I got into the car in the morning the podcast did not start where it left off like it normally does, it started another one from the beginning. I switched to FM and all the presets were gone. I thought that was strange but just reset the presets to the FM and started to listen to the new podcast it was playing.

Now here it gets really strange. I drove for about 30 minutes, listening to the new podcast, parked and shut off the car. Got back to the car about an hour later and when I started the car, the old FM presets where back and the podcast was back to the previous one , picking up right where it left off???

I have been in and out of the car several times since and now all is well. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
defenitly a head unit problem, get your local dealer to remove the head unit copy the serial #'s and order in a new...

cheers
Yes, I had the exact same problem. Replaced the HU and everything is fine.

Try this and see if yours does the same as mine. Next time you start up the car and the settings are lost, don't touch any settings, just shut off the car and start it up again. When I did this my settings came back.:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I still have an appointment scheduled on Wednesday morning to have the radio looked at but last thursday night I decided to try a little something...

I was thinking maybe the problem was due to a corrupted firmware from the factory. So I decided the reflash the headunit using the Gen1.5 firmware from the speaker rattle TSB. The firmware downloaded flawlessly and the radio hasn't lost its settings since then. (it would lose its settings about every third time I started the car before.)

I do not know if it is just good luck but this really seems to have solved the issue. I may just cancel my service appointment for now and see how it goes from here.

Have any of you with similar problems tried reflashing your audio system?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know what the final solution was for this? It happened to me the other day and hasn't done it since. What is the TSB about the speaker rattle? I have it, just ignored it because I thought the base was too high.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sound's like the back up fuse is blown or is not there does the clock hold the same time or does it start at noon? If it keeps time the fuse is ok , i hope this helps, if not i tried!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts