Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for the threads about this but couldn't find it.

On cold mornings (below 40), if i take off a cold start, i hear a rattle at 2500-3000 rpm range. It only happen on cold starts, and only on cold mornings. Once the engine warms up, the noise goes away. also, below 2500rpm you don't hear it, and over 3000 you don't. anyone had this.

I just think it's weird that it only happens:
1. on cold mornings
2. only in that rpm range
3. cold car (not warmed up)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think I know what you mean...

I gotta go to the dealer soon to have a couple of things looked over. I'll let them know about that "rattle" as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the exact same problem with you now. But to me it sounds more like grinding noise. It always happen right before it reach 3000 rpm in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd and 4th gear. I am going to take it to the dealership because its been going on for like 2 months now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have this exact same issue. Same RPM's and everything. I'm not too worried about it...could just be sheet metal covering the exhaust or some piece of plastic that once it warms up, the rattling goes away. If you ever figure out exactly what it is, let me know!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I notice vibration during cold starts - more so in the cold (im in Canada).

I've just switched over to Mobil 1 regular 5w20 for my latest oil change (it cost me oil + 27dollars for filter and labour at dealership for the oil change) since then (about 2,000kms ago) I've noticed my engine does idle a bit softer but it still has a slight rattle/vibrate on cold starts.

Aside from the vibrations and when I actually hear it i'm not really too worried.

-Forte333

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as much as i love my koup, (which trust me, is alot), I refuse to drive it while its cold. I try to remote start it 20 minutes before i leave just so the engine and tranny warm up.
When its cold, it's usually jerky, tranny sticks (normal for any cold tranny), and just not fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WOW! I just noticed the same thing with mine today! I was actually trying to make it happen so I could try to figure out where it is coming from. I have a SX Sedan 6-Speed and I have been running synthetic since my 1st oil change.

Please post any finding!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think my SX 6spd has the same issue. I would call the sound more like fast clicking sound than a rattle when I let off the gas to shift gears. This only happens when first starting from cold until the engine is fully warmed up (10 minutes or so). Don't know if is gear, valve, or what :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think my SX 6spd has the same issue. I would call the sound more like fast clicking sound than a rattle when I let off the gas to shift gears. This only happens when first starting from cold until the engine is fully warmed up (10 minutes or so). Don't know if is gear, valve, or what :-(
I had the exact same issue. The only difference being that my "clicking" was persistent even when the car was fully warmed up. I do a lot of driving in my red Koup SX (min 150 KM a day) and noticed this a lot.

Anyways, I took it into my dealer, and the tech took it for a drive, and deemed it a transmission issue. They didn't explain in much detail, but they said the car would have to wait for the parts (from Korea) and couldn't be driven. They estimated 3 weeks. :S

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if you value you car (which you obviously do) I'd bring it in and get it fixed under warranty.

Good luck guys/gals.

P.S. - I'll call the dealer and get an actual cause for this and post it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My thinking is it is just a cold weather issue as my "issue" is different than what Tag Forte is describing....mine goes away when the car warms up after just a few minutes. The tough part about taking it to the dealer is....the car will be warmed up when I get there and I know it will not be doing it then...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have the same issue when I'm in 3rd gear at 30mph. Like you all said its during cold starts on cold days, but if I start it 5 mins before I leave I have no issues. It's possibly the engine just warming up and stretching out, it is aluminum after all.

If anything comes up that its an issue keep us posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts