Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got bored this weekend desided to cut the rear diffuser so that i could install a tip out the back since i hated the way the rear looked with that turn down and no cut out. Well here is how it turned out. Not quite done yet still need to pull the diffuser off so i can file the cut down smooth but i think it turned out well and also got the tip installed today by a local shop.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
ooo!! thats nice! i dont know why the other trims of the fortes do that smooth diffuser? looks better now!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Very COOL. I've thought about cutting out the drivers side of my diffuser and adding a faux dual exhaust.
Maybe get some black molding and trim up the whole, or come back with a dremel and clean it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very COOL. I've thought about cutting out the drivers side of my diffuser and adding a faux dual exhaust.
Maybe get some black molding and trim up the whole, or come back with a dremel and clean it up.
A dremel with a cut off wheel is how i make the cuts and it worked well but using the sanding wheel just seemed to melt the plastic so i figure i would just use a file and smooth it out that way. Should work well but the tim is also a very good idea. May have to look at that.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
noooooo, screams out RICE. kinda like the G6 fake dual exhaust. looks dumb, especially in cold weather

·
Registered
733 Posts
Im going with noodle on this it does scream rice. Put some molding around the cut and try to find a tip like this

or this

Then it will look cleaner

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
noooooo, screams out RICE. kinda like the G6 fake dual exhaust. looks dumb, especially in cold weather
Lol. Noodile is so straight forward. Sticks out too much I believe. Had it been flushed with the diffuser like the Koup then it wouldn't look so bad. Props for attempt though. I would have just bought a rear diffuser with a cut out already.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
The plastic diffuser is really easy to cut with an exact o knife as well. It's a lot easier if you remove it first.
There are 4 plastic retainers, 2 screws and the rest just clips on, you can remove it in less that 5 minutes.
Take your time and just score the plastic with a sharp knife, going over the line a little deeper each time, after 3 or 4 times you"ll be able to cut through with the knife leaving a smoother line.
To finish it off nicely, get yourself some door edge trim, the kind you push on the edge of the doors to stop them getting dinged up if you open the door into something, and use a heat gun/hair dryer to soften it and make the going around the sharper corners easier.

Check out the post on my Dual Exhaust conversion: http://www.forteforums.com/forums/body-kits-appearance/6698-dual-exhaust-sedan-sx-pictures.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That looks amazing BigE!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked for a dual tip but could not find any that were less that 7 plus inches wide and i could not go with that without cutting one of the brackets off. The round one was not the first choice but the more and more i see it i do like it. When i picked it up it looked way to big but holding it to the opening it seemed to fit will. the cut out is large enough that the tip dont look to huge in there like some. This is just to have something in there for now. Will more than likely go with a magnaflow muffler or something like that down the road that will have a dual tip on it but could not handle the plain look back there any longer :). Also all comments are welcome I do not mind people stating there opinion if you dont like it that is fine and if you do that is also fine I just like to have people look at my stuff. PS i am also going to go look at that door trim i think that will make it look 100% better and more like a factory cut.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I got my tips from Solo-Performance in Mississauga, Ontario. They also have a US division in Kenmore, NY.

: Solo Performance : Exhaust Tips

Model T601-1R8 & T601-1L8, just 7 inches wide and if you're wondering, $150 CAN. for the pair, shipping and taxes included.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im thinking of doing this too, im getting tired of not being able to see the exhaust tip
Yep that is why i did it. I noticed it right away even when i test drove the car and knew i had to either buy a new rear panel or just mod it and figured i would mod it first and see how it looked before spending the money. I think once i put the trim on cut edge it will look so good people who dont know i cut it wont know and it will look like factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i just gotta say-- big balls to chop the panel like you did- and big kudos for doing it w/o screwing it up. :)
LOL thanks best complement i have gotten yet :D

PS i think that is going to be my new SIG

1 - 20 of 42 Posts