Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, we discovered several dents lined up along the crease on the rear driver side quarter panel, above the fuel filler door, and ending at the tail light. Today, we discovered a dent in the crease on the rear passenger side! There are no scratches or chips in the paint as if anything has struck the car. I think they are stress dents caused by flexing. Do you have these? Please post pics, including your vin (don't actually type it out). This has me worried :(

PS: I'm going to re-take the pics of the driver side. The one I posted isn't very clear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had shopping carts hit my old mazda and leave dents very similar to those dings, with no chipped paint. Car doors could also leave dings, tho genrally they leave abrasions, tho not necessarily everytime.

·
Registered
201 Posts
WOW! those are quite obvious to me... Did you by any chance see the post about the crease in door just recently... a group of us have been finding straight line creases in the doors and front and rear quarter panels, but the ones I've seen look nothing like yours. They look to be too high for any shopping carts or other doors.

Just curious, do you drive the car, in, shall we say, a spirited manner? Or corner quickly, which would produce extreme flexing?

I heard someone mention earlier that the metal skins used by Kia are somewhat thinner than other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
I drive my car in a spirited way much of the time, and nothing like that has showed up,
I have the door crease which today in cooler weather seems to look like a perfect square seam on both doors!!! not happy about it because it was very obvious, and I think its due to the way the put the air bag in the doors (just a guess )

@costanza it does look like a shopping cart or somebody with a tall truck opened the door and the corner edge of the door Bam! makes a dent like that and with these cars they are thin skined so it won't take much to make a nice size dent like that.
Good news is somebody might be able to pull those with a paintless dent puller.. But Idk for sure. (depends on if he car get to it from the inside etc..)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
wow, very noticeable. I do corners enough to slide on them (cheap factory rubber) and almost a year and have no dents like that. Just small dents on the doors where assholes have bashed my car with their doors over their jealousy of the beauty of mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An impact is going to leave a scratch, paint transfer, or some other mar to the finish. What would cause 3 dents, all lined up, along that crease?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
does somebody wear a belt buckle? and I've seen dents with no scratches before it can happen thou I agree 9 out of ten times a dent comes with a scratch.(but not always)

weak spot/thin spot/ on the metal? Maybe its very doubtful thou.

Anybody else have some ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crease SHOULD be the strongest section of the sheet metal. The dents are centered exactly in the crease with no marks to the paint finish. A flex/stress dent is the only thing that makes sense to me. I guess if I got the dents popped ou and they returned in the same spot or just beside it, that would verify my hypothesis?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
Upon closer inspection the creases are on both sides of my Koup -- and in the same locations...I haven't found any on my Sedan. Since others have seen the creases on new cars still on the lot, it appears to be a manufactured crease.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am having the same problems and Kia will not do anything about this. They say it is a normal characteristic of the car!!!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Dimples on the creases like that come from leaning against the car. Do you hang out with your buddies in parking lots or driveways? Do you have children that play outside?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts