Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my stereo upgraded about a month ago, got new Alpine front speakers+tweeters, amped all speakers including the factory in the rear. also got an amp and a sub.
The main problem I've been having are that the stock rear speakers would turn off and make just an annoyinggg beeping/whining noise and every now and then would work w/o the whining noise. They told me the speakers blew.
So I bought brand new Alpines. Installed them myself. It worked fine for 2 weeks Now same S*@$ ear splitting beeping and every now and then they will work normally. It is pissing me off because I spent 300 just for the installations alone $130 for the fornt speakers ,$70 for the rears, and $200 for the amps and the sub and already ahd the factory speakers blown. nothing is done properly. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? could it be any of the cables or is it possible these brand new alpines blew out too??

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Take it back and make them warranty it.

You very well could have blown them too though. Make sure they tell you how they know they are blown and then report back to us. Take pics.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Poor installation and poor quality equipment can cause problems like this...

Have them replace the speakers under warranty and you might want to have the job checked by another (reputable) shop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Warranty their work? or do you mean if something breaks caused by bad intsallation that they replace it? (such as the speakers)
I made an appointment for tomorrow morning I will see what they tell me.
Also I have a whining noise whenever I turn on the wipers or spray the wiper wash. I brought it back for it, first the guy said it's because the remote wire is connected to the wiper fuse. he switched it to the cig lighter fuse, and there's no difference..However, he told me to bring it in tomorrow and he will check the cables. I told him about the LOC thing that you had told me to ask about but he insisted that it had nothing to do with it and that it was the remote wire. Oh well, I wish I would have found a place that does better installations.

They bolted one of the amps on the rear seat and it fell off a couple days ago. I had them rebolt it. The other amp they just left sitting there held in place by the sub. it's pretty sloppy and very disappoining.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If I were you, I would go back only to have the speakers replaced under warranty.

I would then take the car to a known-reputable shop. Don't let them touch your car again... From what you're saying, it seems like they don't do a very good job...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think I will do that although I doubt they will replace my speakers..:(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I went back today, and the guy said that it's most likely that one of the amp terminals is giving problems so he switched the front speakers and rear speaker connections and told me if the front speakers do it now that it's the amp, if the rear speakers still do it then it's the speakers.
And as for the whining coming from the front speakers and tweeters he said he disconnected the front cables from the amp and it still does it so now he claims it's the car.(bullsh*t because I remember it didn't do that before the stereo was installed) But anyway I'll live with the whining when the wipers are on as long as the speaker problem is resolved and everything else works properly.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm awfully sorry to hear about all the issues that you are having, as I know that you originally spent all that money because you wanted better sound and ultimately enjoy your Forte even more........

Having said that, Mickid173, you are one very patient and calm person. Kudos to you.

One last thing.......karma is a bitch. They should have done you right.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true, thanks :)

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
well I went back today, and the guy said that it's most likely that one of the amp terminals is giving problems so he switched the front speakers and rear speaker connections and told me if the front speakers do it now that it's the amp, if the rear speakers still do it then it's the speakers.
And as for the whining coming from the front speakers and tweeters he said he disconnected the front cables from the amp and it still does it so now he claims it's the car.(bullsh*t because I remember it didn't do that before the stereo was installed) But anyway I'll live with the whining when the wipers are on as long as the speaker problem is resolved and everything else works properly.
Glad the bigger issue went awa.

As for the whine.. it's all down to the LOC's, grounding, and where they took the turn-on power from.... oh yeah... AND THE AMP!

Poor quality amps/locs/processors all suffer the same issue.. poor ground hum isolation/alternator noise.

What volume level on the deck do you turn it up to?

If your deck is going above 15 your "noise-floor" rises with it, gets a boost at your LOC(s) and then gets amplified. My Cache COE6 powered (not passive) LOC is much higher in quality, so I can turn my head unit to 13 and it's pounding. The signal is quite clean coming from the HU, then is boosted by the LOC, then amplified by the amps.

This methodology is called "good gain structure" which ultimately is intended to keep the "noise floor" as low as possible during the various steps of amplification of the signal.

I believe my turn on wire is attached to the cigarette lighter. I do get some whine during acceleration ONLY when I have my Sirius radio on (I'm in an EX so I don't have it built in, hence it's powered the same way as it would be if it was in a lighter socket (mine's been hardwired.)

D

·
Registered
644 Posts
ONLY when I have my Sirius radio on (I'm in an EX so I don't have it built in, hence it's powered the same way as it would be if it was in a lighter socket (mine's been hardwired.)

D
Are you saying that you don't have sirius installed by default on your EX?

·
Registered
432 Posts

You sure are not like me, cuz i would never accept to live with a problem caused by unproper installation at a shop...

·
Registered
3 Posts
D113 mentioned the noise floor. The installer needs to take that into consideration also when tuning the systems.

They should have used adjustable LOC's form the headunit. Common issue from most installers is they dont adjust the LOC's, just the amp's gain levels. 90% of the time isntallers just leave the LOC at at its default maximum setting. Turning down the LOC's level keeps the noise floor low so in turn the amplifier cant amplify a less noisy signal.

Also, if you get a loud HUM when the radio is off (but the amp is still on) the LOC's are turned up too hi giving out feedback that the amp will play out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts