Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know has anyone installed OEM/factory Auto Dimming Mirror w/compass Kia Part No.: U86201M000 to replace their plain OEM/factory rearview mirror on their 2010 thru 2013 Kia Forte Koup/sedan?

If yes, where do the wires from the mirror get attached to what wires from the interior fuse box panel.

The OEM/factory Auto Dimming Mirror w/compass Kia Part No.: U86201M000 came from a 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L Automatic when I drove to Houston for parts.

Mike Shaw Kia dealership parts person couldn't verify what exactly comes with the same OEM/factory rearview mirror comes with when purchased new when searched & looked on the computer.

There's no part number for the rest of the wire to complete installation.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Asphalt Bumper
Product Automotive tire Sports equipment Font Bicycle part
Font Input device Material property Close-up Carmine
Font Wire Cable Heat-shrink tubing Bumper

I showed the parts sales person what exactly I'm looking for. I took the auto dimming rearview mirror. Asked & showed them th
Product Gadget Output device Font Musical instrument accessory

e wire harness I need to finish instillation. I showed them that the same auto dimming rearview mirror is a Kia/Hyundai OEM/factory standard part & number that can be installed & connected tapping into the 3 wires from the interior fuse box panel.

Also asked if I bought through Mike Shaw Kia would the items/accessories be included like in the pics?. Was told the system doesn't tell them exactly what does come with purchases.
Product Rectangle Bumper Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Product
Font Wire Cable Bumper Heat-shrink tubing

Got the wires/mirror powered up by dumb luck. The 1st with my trusty radio shack muti voltage 1.5v to 12v wall adapter turned on the mirror. Labeled the positive & negative wires. I don't know if the 3rd wire is ground?

1. Brown is ?
2.Tan is Negative
3. Black is Positive
Automotive lighting Sports equipment Gadget Electronic device Cable

The auto darkening works. The front sensor detected the kitchen lights. Mirror turned dark.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last night got lucky I didn't destroy or fry the circuit board.

Now, I need help in installing the wires to the vehicles wiring. Using the info above. I'd like to use the wire harness/plug located at the mirror location, fuse box as the 2nd location as a back up.

Yes, I will definitely disconnect the battery. Learned the last time.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know where the fuse to the courtesy dome/map lights & sun/moon roof assembly is?

I've checked with all the interior fuses (side driver side).

All interior works. Lights, windows, kenwood, HVAC, steering controls, wipers, LEDs, dashboard gauges, everything interior works except the map lights/sun moon roof assembly.

Everything exterior works.

I tested the sun moon roof assembly unit inside the house, map lights work. Couldn't test sun/moon roof switch.

I don't ever remember a fuse anywhere in the headliner. I don't want to remove all the plastics, front & rear seats.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Plan is to use & tap the Dome map light wire. Red & black turned on my radar detector. I didn't get a chance to test what yellow wire does. The alligator clips had touched when I moved to take pics causing the short. The weird thing. None of the interior mini fuses blew/burned out. I checked with multimeter & visually removing & verifying for blown center. All are fine. I can't find the problem.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Engineering Machine
Electrical wiring Gas Vehicle Machine Electrical supply

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Office equipment Font

I bench tested the map dome courtesy LEDs. Each LED & LEDs on the assembly & both switches.

Then installed the sun/moon roof assembly unit back on & tested it. No lights, no sun/moon roof operations.

I did testing with key on ACC & engine running/on. door open, close, sun/moon roof.

Nothing.

I was was going to add a radar detector using the dome lamp + & - wires. Radar did turn on when I turned the key. Cool. Then shorted out.

I replaced the glass fuse on the radar & was about to find the wires/pins to install the power mirror.

Glad I didn't cause now for 2 days I've can't locate the fuse for the sun/moon dome lamp assembly.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I did (no hard solid proof) what the unmarked wire does on the power mirror thru dumb luck & testing. Hoping I don't fry the circuit board in the process.

Not connected
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Bumper Wall

Mirror connected to 12v source.
Pos & pos, neg & neg,
? Not connected. Light sensor turned on the darkening mode from kitchen lights.
Sports equipment Fishing bait Hunting Gas Font

Same connections. Now ?wire is connected with neg. This turned off darkening mode even when kitchen lights on. When i removed the ?wire from neg the darkening mode tuned back on. That means ?wire is backup/reverse wire.
Font Automotive lighting Road surface Gas Circuit component

Now I need verification of wire/pins & correct wires to use/tap to power the mirror without causing any more shorts.
Sleeve Bag Rectangle Font Electrical wiring
Window Font Bumper Automotive design Art
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive lighting Bag
Bird Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Material property Cable
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Hardware programmer
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Wedding ring Car

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts
Wiring diagram for the sunroof circuit doesn't list a fuse - but it looks to have one....

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My says I might have burned out the sun/moon roof assembly & gonna have to buy a new one. I told her it's good. I tested it inside. After knowing the ligh side working. I took back to the Kia & plugged it back in. Still no lights on with door open or pushing the lights on. Sun/moon roof switch not working either.

The whole interior & exterior work. Just not the sun/moon & lights unit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts