Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good number of us have replaced or removed the badges and emblems. I took off the "Forte" and "Koup" and put the "K" badges on.

Today a guy came up to me in a parking lot and asked if my car was a Mazda 3. He said he just got his grandson one and that the kid had burned the transmission out in 2 months and asked me about my tranny. I told him it was a KIA. He looked at me like I was stupid said he was pretty sure that it was a Mazda badge on my car then walked away.

I wonder if anyone else has any stories of their Koup being misidentified.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mine getsmisidentifie by scion and honda, and my car has the kia badge in it!!! I mean come on people, its an awesome kia I know but still...scion?...please...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My mother in law thought I had gotten a BMW... and all the Kia badges are still in place. It's funny though, she actually knows a few things about cars.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i have been asked if i had an audi cuz the front grill is kinda like some audi's ive seen but not a mazda... it looks nothing like a mazda haha but my emblems are just the 3-D forte koup emblems. but ive been asked if my car is a euro car. that sucks tho haha i would have been pissed if some1 thought it was a mazda!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, its one thing to think the car is a 3 but to not take my word that it wasn't was upsetting. I don't mind so much if someone thinks its a lexus or bmw ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
That just shows you socially how stupid people can be when it comes to a well designed car that can be mistaken for a high end car. In all honesty, most car owners dont have an eye for detail, and dont appreciate characteristics of an automobile. Thats what led to the blandness and dissapearance of shape and value in american made autos in the 70's and 80's (box shape, no imagination there). Trust me, I have delt with this all my life, even knew a kid who in middle school who thought a 30's truck was built in the late 1800's. (sigh)

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I first bought my car and washed it I took a side profile shot and put it on Facebook saying it was my new Benz Z-Class "Upper class refinement, entry level pricing".

People were flipping sh-t saying every compliment they could think of. After a few days I took it to a party and everyone was dumbfounded. They don't bug me that its a Kia since I pulled the fast one on them all, just that its a 4-cyl when I'm into the carb'd V8's.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Ha, that's hillarious, people will believe anything. I've had people call it everything from a BMW, an Audi, a Civic SI, a Scion, and mostly a Lexus when I had the broken K badges on. I had a girl in a IS300 race past me and yell, "It's a Kia, not a Lexus!"

I didn't like everyone calling it a Lexus so I took those badges off and put the Koup emblems on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That reminds me.. I raced a guy in a Lexus IS 300 (toyota Altezza for ya gear heads, lol.) While I owned my 2006 Spec 5, in a straight shot he would be beat hands down, luckily for me, it was a windy little road and I knew it well enough, and on every curver I took him on it, except for when it went straight thats when he would slowly pass me. Well there's more story to it so I'll leave it at that. But anyways, go figure a girl in a lexus would open her trap, she probably doesnt even know what size motor she has in her car despite the fact its written on the back of her car..(3.0L L6), hence the 300. But its all good, let haters hate. Tell them to stop drinking the haterarde or hate the game not the player..lol

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I get asked if it's a Civic once in a while, but most often it's mistaken for a Lexus. The best comment I've heard so far was, "No offense, but it looks too expensive to be a Kia."

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get asked if it's a Civic once in a while, but most often it's mistaken for a Lexus. The best comment I've heard so far was, "No offense, but it looks too expensive to be a Kia."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
LOL when I first got my koup I took it down to Phx az, and there was a guy in a older Lexus driving by he look over the car a couple of times while passing me it was cool to see him checking out my KIA!!!:D

·
Registered
696 Posts
I overheard three guys walking past my car the other day (while I was sitting in it), and one guy asked the other two what kind of car it was. Without missing a beat one of them said, "Dude, that's the new Audi Coupe, duh!". I just smiled to myself and imagined that particular kid going nowhere in life. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
People stare all the time....and I love it! No one can figure out what the hell kind of car I have from young to old. Truck Drivers will pass on I-95 and keep looking at my car, which I assume they have enough time driving that they see all types of different cars but a lot of them take 3 looks trying to figure out what kind of car it is. The best story is 3 weeks ago a guy on his mountain bike with gear and all came to a stop at a red light at an intersection. He biked his way over on the side of the road to my passenger side window while I was bumping to some music and he started saying something so I turned down the volume and rolled the window down thinking he was going to ask for directions or something but he said nice looking car is it a Lexus and I started laughing and said it was a KIA and he looked so confused and probably thought I was joking with him and then he started peddling away. LOL...But yea I blame myself I have the K emblems covering everything grill, back trunk lid, steering wheel and wheel caps, the only thing that says KIA is the door sills inside and the windshield, rear glass and windows with KIA logo etched in the factory tempered glass.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts