Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have many mods on my Forte but is there any aftermarket way to reflash the computer to remove the limiter and change the timing for more HP output? I guess my question is this.....Is the WOT BOX the only mod I can get to remove the rev limiter and reset timing? I have read about the SFR reflashing but I cannot find the device to do it.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
33 Posts
RRM has a device that they claim is optimized for bolt on modifications. I don't think it modifies timing values but usually when you use a voltage modifying controller unit, you inadvertently modify the timing values anyways.

Best bet for maximum tuning capabilities at this point in the game is using a system like Megasquirt, since there is no off-the-shelf variant. This system is pretty hard to put together for someone starting out, but you might be able to convince a retailer or store out there to do the hard stuff for you. MS will give you tuneability for everything from timing, AFR, rev limit and even has addons for AFR target range using a wideband 0-5v output, launch control, gear dependent boost... the list is pretty endless.

In terms of reflashes, Cobb Tuning is the place to look and/or talk to. They specialize in most of the OBDII reflashing software for off the shelf applications and would be your best bet for a custom flash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RRM has a device that they claim is optimized for bolt on modifications. I don't think it modifies timing values but usually when you use a voltage modifying controller unit, you inadvertently modify the timing values anyways.

Best bet for maximum tuning capabilities at this point in the game is using a system like Megasquirt, since there is no off-the-shelf variant. This system is pretty hard to put together for someone starting out, but you might be able to convince a retailer or store out there to do the hard stuff for you. MS will give you tuneability for everything from timing, AFR, rev limit and even has addons for AFR target range using a wideband 0-5v output, launch control, gear dependent boost... the list is pretty endless.

In terms of reflashes, Cobb Tuning is the place to look and/or talk to. They specialize in most of the OBDII reflashing software for off the shelf applications and would be your best bet for a custom flash.
Thanks for the info. This is just what I was looking for. Where can I find information and pricing on the WOT BOX?

2,213 Posts
you dont want the WOT box!!, unless you feel like replacing your cat, and internals. its made for real deal race engines. and this is coming from the company that makes it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
There is editing software that you can use to change ECU settings yourself. You better know WTF you are doing. I can't remember the names of any right now, but there were a few options. Laptop/software/connector.

EDIT:
Something like this.
http://www.linkecu.com/support/downloads/pclink-download

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would probably go with the Road Race piggyback...another option is Seoulful Racing, they offer a flash for the Forte for $400 but your going to be out of an ecu for a while unless you buy another one while RRM can be removed and put back to stock in the future

2,213 Posts
WOT box..... Wide Open Throttle, does 2 things, no lift shifting... aka you dont have to pick your foot off the gas when switching gears, and it has a 2 stage launch control. which is probably what the OP is looking for. keeps the rpm at a steady number. you probably knew that tho. but its not good for these engines

·
Registered
312 Posts
More rpms doesn't necessarily mean more power, just putting it out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ahhh... good old anti-lag. I don't know why you would run an anti-lag system in an N/A vehicle, but whatever, who am I to judge a ricer...

You can run higher RPM but its going to have an effect on the wear of the engine. I'm assuming the redline is set where it is as a good mix of efficiency and power (in Kia's eyes) If you raise the redline, the limitation is the flow of the engine. Cam profile has a lot to do with it, intake/exhaust side airflow, etc... You'd probably only need rod bolts to run a 7500 RPM redline but there probably isn't much benefit without a cam change or turbo/super install...

·
Registered
312 Posts
^ Agreed, improving the volumetric efficiency is a real problem with these engines n/a wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.