Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a lifelong Toyota owner. Currently own a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, which is actually a Toyota Matrix. Looking to upgrade sometime in the future, but as much as I love Toyota and the reliability I want to be able to have a little more fun driving as well. Stumbled across the Forte Koup SX and was wondering where the Kia stands in reliability, access to parts for repairs, and aftermarket third party support etc. I also noticed that some people have criticized the Koup for its handling, but noticed that since than the Forte Koup went out of production that things like the Hyundai Veloster N line and Elantra GT N line have come out. Both of those cars had similar complaints until the N line releases. I know Hyundai and Kia are different even though they share some stuff but was wondering if you could improve the Forte Koup in a similar manner or if it would just cost to much money or if there are already solutions to give that type of experience to a Forte Koup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depends what year you're looking at. First gen or second gen?

I have a 2010 Koup SX and it's alright. No major/weird issues so far. Aftermarket support SUCKS.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i'm a former Vibe owner myself, a 2003 model.

Since then I've owned 5 Kias and 4 Hyundais and am looking to purchase my 6th Kia (a 2013 Koup). I think reliability is fine if treated right. If abused or not maintained well then nothing will last forever. My Kia Spectra SX is a 2006 model with over 150,000 miles and my 2012 Hyundai Veloster has 123,000 miles.

See my albums for pics:
My 2011 SX hatcback: https://www.forteforums.com/forums/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=7105
Current Hyundai/Kia cars: https://www.forteforums.com/forums/members/novaresource-albums-my-other-current-vehicles.htm
Former Hyundai/Kia cars: https://www.forteforums.com/forums/members/novaresource-albums-my-past-hyundai-kias.htm

And like Acura_Kal said, aftermarket support is spotty at best.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The cars are fun to drive, in comparison to a Corolla, but not on the level of the best hot hatches like a GTi or Focus ST. My car is stock and has 103k miles. I've had to replace the back up camera, rebuild the starter and replace the blow off valve and solenoid for the turbo. Cost was about $400 total. The rest has just been maintenance. All I want to change on my car are the shocks to Sachs or Bilstein, but nothing is available besides OEM (which kinda suck).

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My 2010 Koup SX was a decent handling FWD'er stock, but aftermarket was VERY limited in every category, and now it seems the Koups of both generations are mere afterthoughts of something that never quite took off. I blame KIA a great deal, they never really promoted the car after it debuted, and it got worse for the 2nd gen, overshadowed by Hyundai with the Veloster Turbo then buried by the FoST/FiST and the like. That's why I went Mustang and never looked back. And never regretted it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 so far no major mechanical problems. Hope I never get the deadly end of life engine knocking even with all my attention & love to my car. After markets parts are rare & just really isn't a high demand for this car. There's turbos for the Kia. My next car (I hope) would be Hyundai Genesis coupe V6 (definitely aftermarket parts) 2nd would be Subaru (blob eye) or a JDM. For now my Forte does well & I really do like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts