Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on using CRC Intake Valve cleaner every 10,000 miles to keep carbon off of the valves in these GDI Engines? I am considering adding this to my maintenance.
Tin Automotive tire Tin can Fluid Aluminum can

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,137 Posts
IMHO...

I'm not going to run a GDI cleaner through the intake unless I notice a decrease in performance or gas mileage. I've watched videos on this as well as listened to mechanics and car owners - unless you have a problem, I recommend you leave it alone. Follow Kia maintenance recommendations - like using a fuel cleaner as recommended in the owner's manual. (NOTE: YES, I know GDIs don't "wash" valves with fuel)

Running a cleaner through the intake can also lead to carbon deposits building up in your catalytic converter. Carbon can break away from the valves or combustion chamber - but nothing is going to break it down when it gets to the Cat-Conv. If you've seen the inside of a catalytic converter, you'll know what I mean.

To me, using a catch can is better then a GDI cleaner...considering how much oil I remove from it between oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I’m trying to avoid sand blasting with walnuts… lol I am going to install an oil catch can and spray the valves clean every 10,000 miles if I can figure out where exactly along the Intake to spray and where exactly the PCV valve and tubes are. This engine is totally foreign to me. Way to many sensors all over it. I am lost!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t think the type of Gas matters since it never reaches the backs of the valves. It’s direct injected into each cylinder so the ethanol in the gas wouldn’t matter so much in terms of carbon buildup on the valves. I think that is mostly caused by the emissions crap on the engine recirculating exhaust, blow back oil and some fuel.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,137 Posts
OK. I appreciate you letting me know. You would follow his advise exactly then? And advise me to do the same…
Install a catch can, clean it at every oil change, and don't worry about your valves.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Because spraying every 10K miles is WAY over reacting. I think Kiaguy007 is a Kia Mechanic.
No, not a tech, just a shade tree guy like most everyone else here. And I wrote what I did because the OP asked for opinions, got nothing but negative feedback, and then posted that he would use the stuff, regardless that there was no support for it. So the point is, if you've already decided to use it, then why ask for opinions about it?

Yes, this OP appears to have subsequently changed his mind, but my comment was based on the sequence of posts that preceded that one, which made it sound like a done deal. I guess this is just me having become tired of seeing so many people just doing what they're going to do, regardless of what anyone else has to say about it (or, far more often, posting no follow up at all).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to seem like I was ignoring everyone. I’m certainly not. I am looking for opinions and I thank you all for the information. I looked up a Sixth Oil Catch Can and all they have in stock is the drivers side install. I am ordering it but I will install it on the passengers side. It looks like I will have to buy hoses but that’s no big deal. As for the valve cleaner, I will have to see. I have a bore scope so I’ll check them every once in a while to see how they look. I really have no experience with a modern engine like this. I will learn however… thanks everyone!!! I do appreciate your help!!!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
How about installing a catch can on a NON-TURBO 2.0? What do you guys think about that? Beneficial or no?
Regardless of turbo, if it's a GDI engine it would be beneficial because of the lack of intake valve cleaning. Would not hurt to install it on a non-GDI engine because the intake still does get carbon build-up.

A catch can really does impress on you how much oil the engine ends up ingesting! It is not a huge amount but it still ends up in your intake.

The real problem that can happen is NOT emptying the catch can and allowing it to fill with enough oil where the engine ingests too much oil at one time and hydro-locks.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
How about installing a catch can on a NON-TURBO 2.0? What do you guys think about that? Beneficial or no?
I wouldn't say it's super necessary unless it's GDI. That would be my first mod on a GDI motor, but on the MPI it's not super important. I pulled the intake off a 200k mile port injected Volvo and the intake valves were still pretty much perfectly clean. The intake also didn't have all that much carbon in it. Splashed some gas around in it and that took care of 200k worth of buildup. I personally wouldn't bother on MPI, but that's me.

Reactions: Chuzz and ForteGT2
1 - 20 of 23 Posts