Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,226 Posts
IMHO...

I'm not going to run a GDI cleaner through the intake unless I notice a decrease in performance or gas mileage. I've watched videos on this as well as listened to mechanics and car owners - unless you have a problem, I recommend you leave it alone. Follow Kia maintenance recommendations - like using a fuel cleaner as recommended in the owner's manual. (NOTE: YES, I know GDIs don't "wash" valves with fuel)

Running a cleaner through the intake can also lead to carbon deposits building up in your catalytic converter. Carbon can break away from the valves or combustion chamber - but nothing is going to break it down when it gets to the Cat-Conv. If you've seen the inside of a catalytic converter, you'll know what I mean.

To me, using a catch can is better then a GDI cleaner...considering how much oil I remove from it between oil changes.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,226 Posts
OK. I appreciate you letting me know. You would follow his advise exactly then? And advise me to do the same…
Install a catch can, clean it at every oil change, and don't worry about your valves.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
How about installing a catch can on a NON-TURBO 2.0? What do you guys think about that? Beneficial or no?
Regardless of turbo, if it's a GDI engine it would be beneficial because of the lack of intake valve cleaning. Would not hurt to install it on a non-GDI engine because the intake still does get carbon build-up.

A catch can really does impress on you how much oil the engine ends up ingesting! It is not a huge amount but it still ends up in your intake.

The real problem that can happen is NOT emptying the catch can and allowing it to fill with enough oil where the engine ingests too much oil at one time and hydro-locks.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
There should be a check valve from the catch can to the intake on the PCV hose so hydro lock wouldn’t likely happen but yes, clean out the oil every oil change.
Not correct. Check valve usual prevents back fire from going into engine crankcase. The intake sucks from the engine through the PCV valve - the PCV valve should close when engine pressure is greatest - to prevent oil from entering intake.

Font Line Motor vehicle Parallel Engineering

Rectangle Font Circle Number Pattern

1 - 6 of 6 Posts