Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m doing a full audio upgrade. Bought 4” speakers for the dash, popped the grill and realised I have a few issues.
  • Factory dash speakers are 1”. I would need to remove the existing screw mounts to fit a 4” as they are totally in the way
  • Would also need to remove grill clips (I plan to flush mount the new 4” speakers and hot glue the grill back on - a bit ghetto, but will work).
  • Looks like I’d need to remove entire dash to get to the back, to dremmel out bits that are in the way, then install custom mounts for the new 4” speakers. More of a project than I’d hoped, but I’m up for it.

Here’s a pic of what it looks like without the grill and speaker.

Questions:
  • has anyone done this?
  • Any tips for removing the dash without destroying something? For example, what needs to be unscrewed first? I’ve already just about finished installing a new 9” head unit, amp, front & rear door speakers). This is the final puzzle and the one that will take the most serious modification.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Are you trying to insert them into factory opening or install them on the surface?
I do not see how you can put 4" into 1" hole :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you trying to insert them into factory opening or install them on the surface?
I do not see how you can put 4" into 1" hole :D
That would be tricky - haha!
Nope, the hole is 4" diameter, so if I cut out the other 'stuff' you can see in the picture - everything below the first rim - then a 4" speaker would sit in the space perfectly. However, the I'm still not liking the idea of cutting away parts of the dash. I'd like the option of reinstalling the factory units if need be (e.g. for a second hand sale).

It seems like my best option is to fabricate enclosures that get hot glued to the top of the dash. Hot glue would easily peel off if I wanted to remove them. As they are tweeters and won't be bouncing around like woofers, it should work.

Something along these lines (see below)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts