Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I am wondering if anybody has any authoritative answers on whether any after-market automotive hoses are suitable replacements.

Example hoses:
Brake booster vacuum hoses
Coolant hoses
PCV valve hose
PCSV valve hoses
Air cleaner breather hose

Any reason why after-market hoses like this linked below wouldn't be a good idea (using appropriately sized internal diameter)?

Gates Brand:
Amazon.com: Gates 28491 Safety Stripe Standard Straight Heater Hose-6' Length, Inner Diameter 5/8" : Automotive

EDIT/UPDATE #1:
The Stop Shop Brand:

This brand seems to offer hoses that are purpose built for the line I'm trying to replace: one of my PCSV hoses. I think this will be good (open to be corrected if someone thinks otherwise tho).

I am replacing the hose because while trying to remove my PCSV valve, I accidentally cracked one of it's hoses severely. I tested my PCSV's coil and found it was out of spec (spec: 20-25 ohms; result: 30 ohms). I had a P0445 code that I was told it was safe to ignore... but screw that. I found the probable cause and I'm fixing it for 20 bucks.

EDIT/UPDATE #2:
Does anyone know how to find any sort of specs or ratings for the hoses used inside our Fortes?

·
Administrator
587 Posts
I have never and probably will never go with OEM hoses and belts, unless the price was right or I got a good deal. Gates is a very reputable brand and I actually used their complete timing belt kit on my old Tiburon as well as on my girlfriend's Accent. I did a lot of research for brand quality before I settled on Gates.

What's SCARY is going with the cheapo no name stuff from eBay or Amazon.

Why not use one made specifically for your car though instead of a universal one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never and probably will never go with OEM hoses and belts, unless the price was right or I got a good deal. Gates is a very reputable brand and I actually used their complete timing belt kit on my old Tiburon as well as on my girlfriend's Accent. I did a lot of research for brand quality before I settled on Gates.

What's SCARY is going with the cheapo no name stuff from eBay or Amazon.

Why not use one made specifically for your car though instead of a universal one?
I found this gates hose...

It's ratings are "meets requirements of SAE J30R7 and DIN 73379 (except for tolerances)" ... do you know how to interpret these ratings as far as what is required for the hoses inside Forte?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If its good quality hose, its good quality hose. But it MUST be the right size.

Also, a real auto distributor like summit racing or the like could be better than Amazon. Not necessarily in pricing, but the quality of many products on amazon, and prevalence of counterfeits/fakes is too high to risk on your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts