Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2014 Forte5 with reflector halogen for DRL whcih also act as high beams. Does anyone make an LED solution for these that also go full bright when you flick the stock to highbeam or is it limited to just one setting all the time? I heard in this case, it's basically null and void the high beam function. I wonder if this is illegal.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
I'm not sure I understand ... The DRLs use the highbeam bulbs at lower voltage to be dim for DRL usage. When the lights are on, they act as normal highbeams when you turn them on. As far as I know, just replacing them with the correct socket LED bulbs will be fine. It's what I was planning on doing, anyways. :) I'm not sure if the LEDs can handle the lower voltage for DRL and the normal voltage for high beam usage but... I was assuming they did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know of any bulbs on the market that fit in there? I know when I flick on the low beams the DRLs turn off; likewise when I flick high beams, low beams turn off as well as the fogs. If the replacement LED bulbs do a good enough job of illuminating the road after the sun sets, I could just drive around with one click (eyebrows and tails come on in tandem with the DRLs). I just hope being a reflector design it doesn't dazzle people.

Just found these but not sure if I'm willing to play russian roulette with compatibility seeing as someone said it doesn't fit their car despite description saying it does.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Wait, so you want LED highbeam bulbs that are bright enough to use in DRL mode for nighttime use? Don't think that's going to work.

The ones you linked aren't LED bulbs, they're "upgraded" halogens. Not worth the money in my opinion.

What's wrong with flicking the stock an extra click and turning on the low beam/normal lighting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently driving around with one of the HID bulbs burnt out from a kit I installed from Miromoto some years back but originally the car came with Halogens so I figured the Philips would be a good upgrade to the stock DRLs which barely illuminate anything unless highbeams are engaged. My thinking was I could throw some LEDs in there and drive with those as a permanent fixture.

Today I received my replacement bulbs and they don't seem to plug into the old connectors. I was sure all I had to get right was the H11A connector and I'd be golden but I was wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure I understand ... The DRLs use the highbeam bulbs at lower voltage to be dim for DRL usage. When the lights are on, they act as normal highbeams when you turn them on. As far as I know, just replacing them with the correct socket LED bulbs will be fine. It's what I was planning on doing, anyways. :) I'm not sure if the LEDs can handle the lower voltage for DRL and the normal voltage for high beam usage but... I was assuming they did.
The leds will be full power on DRL and high beam. The factory setup is 12v for high beam and 9v for DRL. LEDs only need 9v to work at full brightness so yes you can change them but they’ll be full bright whenever they’re on.

Reactions: Acura_Kal

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm currently driving around with one of the HID bulbs burnt out from a kit I installed from Miromoto some years back but originally the car came with Halogens so I figured the Philips would be a good upgrade to the stock DRLs which barely illuminate anything unless highbeams are engaged. My thinking was I could throw some LEDs in there and drive with those as a permanent fixture.

Today I received my replacement bulbs and they don't seem to plug into the old connectors. I was sure all I had to get right was the H11A connector and I'd be golden but I was wrong.

View attachment 80816 View attachment 80815
The plug in your hand is a 9006 plug. That would plug onto an aftermarket HID ballast but definitely not into an H11 socket

Reactions: Acura_Kal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The leds will be full power on DRL and high beam. The factory setup is 12v for high beam and 9v for DRL. LEDs only need 9v to work at full brightness so yes you can change them but they’ll be full bright whenever they’re on.
In other words there won’t be a visible difference from drl and high beam hence I won’t be able to flash other drivers? Rarely ever use this so I won’t be missing out.

As for the connectors the merchant said it’s merely an obsolete format. I can simply plug it into the ballast directly with the new bulbs. The engine bay is so cramped I think I’ll need to pull the headlights to get to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts