Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The hatch release recently stopped working on our 2011 Forte 5 door. I strongly suspect the switch has gone bad because the rubber cover cracked years ago, exposing the white switch underneath. I suspect moisture and/or salt has gotten into it. This car has a smart key and all other power locks are working just fine.

I plan on trying to repair it myself. Here are some related questions I have:

1. Which fuse corresponds to the hatch actuator power?
  2. Is this the correct replacement part? Part number: 81260 1M500 (sorry this isn't a hyperlink to a page, the forum software won't let me create one). I found the part description and diagram on kiaparts.penceauto.com
  3. Has anyone else done this repair recently? I am trying to think of ways that I can prove it is the switch and not the actuator before I spend money on parts. I thought that I could electrically isolate the switch and then test it by attaching an ohm meter to its terminals. Would this be a useful test?
Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have completed this repair. The hatch release is essentially a pushbutton mounted on a circuit board in the genuine replacement part. The part number I mention in the original post to this thread is the correct one. If I could do it over again (or if I ever need to replace this part) I would save myself $80 and hack the broken part to mount a marine pushbutton in the "broken" release part. The problem with this part is that the outer rubber membrane cracks over time and then water and salt get in to foul the circuit board and pushbutton.

The inner gate panel pries off pretty easily. Once the wiring harnesses are exposed it's pretty clear what needs to be done. The hatch release is wedged into a hole in the gate. You can get it out by gently pushing on the side cilps with a blade screwdriver and then pushing it out (to the outside of the vehicle).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

The hatch release recently stopped working on our 2011 Forte 5 door. I strongly suspect the switch has gone bad because the rubber cover cracked years ago, exposing the white switch underneath. I suspect moisture and/or salt has gotten into it. This car has a smart key and all other power locks are working just fine.

I plan on trying to repair it myself. Here are some related questions I have:

1. Which fuse corresponds to the hatch actuator power?
  2. Is this the correct replacement part? Part number: 81260 1M500 (sorry this isn't a hyperlink to a page, the forum software won't let me create one). I found the part description and diagram on kiaparts.penceauto.com
  3. Has anyone else done this repair recently? I am trying to think of ways that I can prove it is the switch and not the actuator before I spend money on parts. I thought that I could electrically isolate the switch and then test it by attaching an ohm meter to its terminals. Would this be a useful test?
Thanks for any help,
How did get door open to begin with? I can't find an emergency release and don't have a clue how to get it open to fix it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
How did get door open to begin with? I can't find an emergency release and don't have a clue how to get it open to fix it.
There's a slot at the bottom of the trim panel in the middle on the inside of the hatch. You'll have to put the rear seats down and crawl back there. Stick a thin screwdriver or butter knife in the slot and move it sideways. It should open. See page 4-19 of your owners manual:

2011 Forte 4-19.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a slot at the bottom of the trim panel in the middle on the inside of the hatch. You'll have to put the rear seats down and crawl back there. Stick a thin screwdriver or butter knife in the slot and move it sideways. It should open. See page 4-19 of your owners manual:

View attachment 79202
Thanks. I've tried that. It tries to half unlatch if that makes sense. The latch won't completely let go so I can open the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have completed this repair. The hatch release is essentially a pushbutton mounted on a circuit board in the genuine replacement part. The part number I mention in the original post to this thread is the correct one. If I could do it over again (or if I ever need to replace this part) I would save myself $80 and hack the broken part to mount a marine pushbutton in the "broken" release part. The problem with this part is that the outer rubber membrane cracks over time and then water and salt get in to foul the circuit board and pushbutton.

The inner gate panel pries off pretty easily. Once the wiring harnesses are exposed it's pretty clear what needs to be done. The hatch release is wedged into a hole in the gate. You can get it out by gently pushing on the side cilps with a blade screwdriver and then pushing it out (to the outside of the vehicle).
1. You are awsome
2. I believe I can do this, but a bit confused.
3. Will I need to "rewire" I am not good at that. I am just not sure I can do this.
Any advise would be helpful. Since you said if you had to do over.
My rubber cover has fallen off and exposed the little button. But now the button will not always work.
Where do I get "marine push button"
Oh so confused.....thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks exactly what I was looking for, but I just want to be clear, the latch itself comes with a small circuit board? I dont see anything in any images of the part I find.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got mail today. Now I have a project for tomorrow:

The rubber cover on the release of my 2011 SX hatch was cracking for a while and just started having pieces fall off. Looks to be an easy install since it just pops out.

I have to do this job on my 2012 Veloster too. But that job is a bit more complicated. You have to remove the interior panel to access the handle. It unscrews and then you have to disassemble it because it also houses the backup camera. I have to wait until my daughter comes home from college in 2 weeks to do that job.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well that was super easy. A small trim removal tool is all that’s needed. Slide it between the switch and the hatch and push in a little and the switch just pops out. Disconnect the wiring harness, connect it to the new switch and press it back in. Took less than 5 minutes.
Old vs new:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts